Aerial view of the palace
|• Total||52.79 km2 (20.38 sq mi)|
|• Density||234.49/km2 (607.3/sq mi)|
|Time zone||UTC+1 (CET)|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC+2 (CEST)|
|Area code||(+36) 94|
Places of interest
The town is especially well known for its castle which used to belong to the Batthyány family, one of the most important aristocrat families of Hungary. Blessed Ladislaus Batthyány-Strattmann (1870–1931), a famous ophthalmologist who was beatified by the Catholic Church, lived in the castle with his family for nearly 10 years. He turned one of the wings of the castle into an ophthalmology clinic where he treated poor patients for free.
Today, the castle belongs to the Hungarian state.
- Körmendi FC, association football club
- Prince Edmund Batthyany-Strattmann (1826–1914) - nobleman
- The Blessed László Batthyány-Strattmann (1870–1931) - doctor and nobleman
- Imre Sinkovits - actor of the National Theatre
- G.G. Goloman - collegiate basketball player
- Zsebe Ferenc - basketball player
- Péter Besenyei - aerobatic pilot
- Baby Jewel - famous adult film star
- János Móricz, discoverer of Taltos Cave
- Soulwave, alternative rock band
- Krisztián Pars (born 1982), hammer thrower
Twin towns — Sister cities
- "Testvérvárosok". kormend.hu (in Hungarian). Körmend. Retrieved 2019-10-14.
|This Vas location article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|