The K'Nex construction toy originally consisted of 19 different interlocking K'NEX pieces of two types, positives and negatives and neutrals. Snapping rods into connectors is the basis of building structures out of K'NEX. The majority of inflexible K'Nex pieces are made out of Celcon (Polyoxymethylene) plastic. This page lists the most common pieces that have been introduced since the first K'Nex release in 1992.
Connectors are various shapes and colors, with each color of connector having a different number of slots for rods. Some connectors, such as violet and blue connectors, have slots that allow them to interlock with each other and form three-dimensional bases to snap rods into.
Some specific types of connectors include:
- Ladder connectors
- Connectors that span various degrees (45, 90, 135, 180 and 360)
- Tabbed connectors, used to connect tubing on the K'nex Original Roller Coaster, Big Ball Factory, Trampoline Tower and Big Air Ball Tower, among others
- 3D connectors
- Light Module connectors, used in the Light Ups 30 Model Building set
Rods come in several lengths, styles, and colors, but all are the same width, 1⁄4", to snap in to connectors.
- Standard rods are straight and mostly inflexible, with lengths ranging from 3⁄4" to 7 1⁄2"
- Light-up rods are also inflexible and come in two lengths: 5 1⁄8" and 7 1⁄2"
- Flexi-rods are bendable and come in various lengths
Many K'NEX sets also have special pieces, as seen above. These pieces typically are used in the construction of the specific model in the instructions of the set, and are not found in every set.
- Ball Joints
- Ball Sockets
- Motors (various types, which run on either electricity or solar power)
- Tracks (for construction of roller coasters)
- Boosters (found in K'nex Lava Launch Coaster)
- Toy gun parts (for k force)
- "History of K'Nex Industries, Inc.". FundingUniverse.
- "Ticona Polymer and Processing Expertise Helps Rodon Deliver Successes, Including K'NEX® Toys". celanese.com. Celanese Corporation. Retrieved 19 March 2016.
- "K'NEX Products". K'Nex.