|Birth name||Cedric Renard Hailey|
|Also known as|
|Born||September 2, 1969|
Monroe, North Carolina
|Origin||Charlotte, North Carolina|
Cedric Renard Hailey (born September 2, 1969), known professionally as K-Ci (formerly Little Cedric as a member of Little Cedric and the Hailey Singers), is an American singer, songwriter and member of K-Ci & JoJo and Jodeci. He started his music career as Little Cedric, in 1983, with the release of, I'm Alright Now, by Atlanta International Records. The next two albums, 1984's Jesus Saves and 1985's God's Blessing, were released by AIR Gospel, and they both achieved placements upon the Billboard Gospel Albums chart.
Although Hailey is best known as the lead singer of Jodeci and second-lead singer of K-Ci & JoJo, he participated on different solo projects as K-Ci, most notably his cover of Bobby Womack's "If You Think You're Lonely Now" in 1994.
Hailey was born in Charlotte, North Carolina, to Anita and Cliff Hailey both of whom were gospel singers. For a time, the Hailey family lived in Baltimore, MD where they performed gospel music. The family would later return to Charlotte when Cedric was a teen. He would eventually go on to attend Garinger High School.
Along with younger brother, Joel (known professionally as "JoJo") and his father, Hailey recorded three gospel albums as "Little Cedric and the Hailey Singers" beginning with the 1983 release I'm Alright Now by Atlanta International Records, Gospel. Though the album failed to place on any Billboard magazine charts, the next two releases, 1984's Jesus Saves and God's Blessing in 1985, both placed upon the Billboard Gospel Albums chart; the former at No. 4 and the latter at No. 22.
Cedric and Joel's gospel singing eventually connected them with the DeGrate brothers, Donald "DeVante Swing" DeGrate and Dalvin DeGrate, with whom they formed the R&B group Jodeci. As lead vocalist for the group, Hailey and Jodeci would release three multi-platinum albums between 1991 and 1995. In 1996, the group announced a hiatus from recording and releasing music. Hailey continued to record with his brother as the duo K-Ci & JoJo, releasing five albums between 1997 and 2013.
As K-Ci, his cover of Bobby Womack's "If You Think You're Lonely Now" was featured on the soundtrack to the 1994 film, Jason's Lyric. It was released as a single and peaked at number 17 on the Billboard Hot 100.
Indecent exposure allegation
In March 2001, Hailey was charged with several charges of indecent exposure, due to him allegedly flashing and fondling his genitals while performing at a holiday concert at the Shrine Auditorium.
- with Jodeci
- Forever My Lady (1991)
- Diary of a Mad Band (1993)
- The Show, the After Party, the Hotel (1995)
- The Past, The Present, The Future (2015)
- with K-Ci & JoJo
- Solo album
- My Book (2006)
- Billboard (April 7, 2003). "K-Ci, JoJo Free After Tax Evasion Arrest". Billboard. Retrieved April 9, 2015.
- Carpenter, Bil (2005). "Uncloudy Days: The Gospel Music Encyclopedia": 253. Cite journal requires
- AllMusic. "Little Cedric : Discography". AllMusic. Retrieved April 9, 2015.
- Billboard. "Little Cedric : Awards". AllMusic. Retrieved April 9, 2015.
- Sullivan, Caroline (January 31, 2002). "'My boyfriend was trying to kill me. There were weapons'". The Guardian. Retrieved June 25, 2021.
- MaGee, Ny (July 16, 2019). "K-Ci Recalls Why He Called It Quits On Relationship with Mary J Blige". EURweb. Retrieved June 25, 2021.