|Birth name||Kimberly Michelle Pate|
|Born||March 4, 1982|
|Genres||Hip hop soul, soul, R&B|
|Occupation(s)||Singer, television personality, songwriter, pianist, guitarist,|
|Instruments||Vocals, guitar, piano|
|Associated acts||Trina, Mila J, Lil' Mo, Meek Mill, Young Jeezy, Da Brat, Rick Ross, J.Cole, Juicy J, Gucci Mane, Bobby V, August Alsina, Jadakiss, Lil Boosie, Keyshia Cole, Ne-Yo, Missy Elliot, R.Kelly|
Kimberly Michelle Pate (born March 4, 1982), better known by her stage name K. Michelle, is an American singer, songwriter, television personality, guitarist and pianist. In 2009, She was noted when she signed a deal with Jive Records and released the R&B charting single "Fakin' It" featuring Missy Elliott. She later went on to release three follow-up R&B charting singles: "Fallin'", "I Just Can't Do This", and "How Many Times" before leaving Jive Records. In 2012, K. Michelle garnered further attention by appearing in the VH1 reality series Love & Hip Hop: Atlanta.
Following her appearance on the show, she landed a contract deal with Atlantic Records. She released her long-delayed debut studio album Rebellious Soul on August 13, 2013. The album saw commercial success, debuting at number 2 on the US Billboard 200 and number 1 on the US Top R&B/Hip-Hop Albums chart. K. Michelle's The Rebellious Soul Musical directed by Golden Globe winner Idris Elba debuted on VH1 on August 19, 2014. In 2014 Michelle released her second studio album Anybody Wanna Buy a Heart? which debuted at number six on the Billboard 200.
Michelle was born Kimberly Michelle Pate in Memphis, Tennessee, on March 4, 1982. As a child, Michelle learned to play piano and guitar, and took voice lessons from Bob Westbrook, who also trained pop singers Justin Timberlake and Britney Spears. She graduated from Overton High School in 2000. She earned a music scholarship to Florida A&M University by yodeling at her audition. She was crowned the Freshman Attendant of the Homecoming Court in late 2000 at the age of 18. She is a member of Delta Sigma Theta sorority having pledged FAMU's Beta Alpha chapter in the Fall of 2001. She reports that she stopped attending classes for a short time to have a baby boy in September 2004, then returned to finish college. The father of her son ended up marrying her sorority sister.
Michelle's age was reported as 18 in late 2000 in her college freshman yearbook, which sets her birth year at 1982. However, her age was reported as 31 in 2015 by The Source magazine, which would put her birth year at 1984. AllMusic's biography of her gives a birth year of 1986. The editor of "GossipWeLove.com" commented on the discrepancies in reported birth year, registering disbelief that Michelle could have entered college, and won her class's prom beauty contest, at age 14. Michelle formed a college friendship with Basketball Wives actress Royce Reed who was born in 1981.
2009–13: Career beginnings, TV work and debut album
In 2009, K. Michelle's career began when she signed a deal with Jive Records, and released the buzz single "Fakin' It" in which its the same year in hopes of garnering attention from the public eye. The Missy Elliott-assisted single went on to attain slight attention (peaking at number 100 on the US Hot R&B/Hip-Hop Songs) from the urban audience for its sexual lyrics. In 2010, following the buzz single's release, K. Michelle went on to release three follow-up singles: "Fallin", "I Just Can't Do This" and "How Many Times"; which respectively charted at numbers 56, 53, and 53 on the US Hot R&B/Hip-Hop Songs chart, before being bought out of her label contract by Jive Records in October 2011. Prior to her departure from Jive Records, K. Michelle was in the process of recording her debut album, Pain Medicine that was slated to feature collaborations from the likes of Trina, Gucci Mane, Akon, Usher, Missy Elliott and R. Kelly, however, the album was scrapped due to her departure from Jive Records.
In 2012, K. Michelle joined the cast on season one of VH1's reality TV show Love & Hip Hop: Atlanta. During its run, K. Michelle announced she would be leaving the show after the second season to move to New York to join Love & Hip Hop: New York for its fourth season to boost ratings and focus more on her music career. Following her appearance on the reality series, K. Michelle signed a deal with Atlantic Records and has since then confirmed that her debut album would likely be released sometime in 2013. The song, titled "I Just Wanna" was released as a buzz single for the album. "V.S.O.P." followed as the lead single on May 20, 2013. The track was produced by Pop & Oak, and samples "Very Special" by Debra Laws as well as "That's How Long" by The Chi-Lites. "V.S.O.P." has reached at number 89 on the US Hot 100 Singles chart and number 27 on the US Billboard Hot R&B/Hip-Hop Songs chart. The music video (directed by Benny Boom) was released on June 29, 2013.
Rebellious Soul (her debut studio album) was released on August 13, 2013 and debuted at number 2 on the Billboard 200 chart and number 1 on the US Top R&B/Hip-Hop Albums chart, with first-week sales of 72,000 copies in the United States. As of December 2014, Rebellious Soul has sold over 260,000 copies. On November 4, 2013, she headlined her first tour, The "Rebellious Soul" Tour presented by BET Music Matters. The 19 city tour kicked off in San Francisco and ended December 3, 2013 in Boston. It included stops in Los Angeles, Houston, Chicago, and Atlanta. Opening acts featured Chris Brown protégé Sevyn Streeter and Tiara Thomas. On January 14, 2014, the album's second single "Can't Raise A Man" peaked at number 94 on the US Billboard Hot 100 chart and 23 on the Hot R&B/Hip-Hop Songs chart.
2014–present: Anybody Wanna Buy a Heart?
K. Michelle announced that she would be joining Robin Thicke on the North American leg of his Blurred Lines Tour, which began on February 21, 2014, in Atlanta, Georgia. On February 14, 2014, She released her mixtape project titled Still No @#!*% Given. On March 5, 2014, VH1 announced that K. Michelle would star in her own spin-off to Love & Hip Hop. K. Michelle: My Life, chronicles the singer's life after Love & Hip Hop as well as her music career, family, and friends. It premiered on November 3, 2014.
On September 16, 2014, K. Michelle released on iTunes the song "Love 'Em All", the first single from her second album. "Love 'Em All" was described as a "powerful and gritty" song and a "heartbreaker anthem" by Kevin, editor-in-Chief of Spin Media website Direct Lyrics On November 17, 2014 K. Michelle released "How do you know?", her third single from Anybody Wanna Buy a Heart? and it shot to #1 on the iTunes R&B Charts
K. Michelle announced she will be on joint tour with Keyshia Cole beginning January 2015 to promote K. Michelle's new VH1 reality show K. Michelle: My Life and sophomore album Anybody Wanna Buy a Heart?, as well as Keyshia Cole's New Album Point of No Return.
On October 29, 2014, K. Michelle released the teaser trailer for Anybody Wanna Buy a Heart?. The album is set to be released through Atlantic Records on December 9, 2014. The album cover was also released a few hours later on her twitter and Facebook pages. The album debuted at number 4 on the Billboard 200 chart, number 1 on the Top R&B/Hip-Hop chart and number 1 on the R&B chart, selling 87,000 copies in the first week of its release. Although it debuted lower than Rebellious Soul, its debut week outsold her previous album's. In its second week, the album sold 30,000 copies bringing its sales to around 120,000 copies. As of June 2015, Anybody Wanna Buy A Heart has sold over 390,000 copies and overall with her previous album "Rebellious Soul" altogether has sold 890,000 copies worldwide.
2015–present: Untitled Third and Final Studio Album
K. Michelle is currently in the works of her third and final album due to be released in February of 2016, confirmed via the singer's Twitter account. The album is set to be more of a rock vibe like hit single "Love Em' All" from the previous album. Michelle is also working on her Home Goods Line, filming for three of her own reality shows. Her hookah bar "Puff Lounge" is set to be opened lately this year in New Orleans and her hometown, Memphis, TN. Michelle is currently filming for Season 2 of her VH1 reality series K.Michelle: My Life and is set to premiere in late 2015. K. Michelle will be moving to London in September to focus on working on her third and final untitled album and focus more on films and her business endorsements.
- Ladies Make Some Noise Tour (supporting R.Kelly) (2009)
- Blurred Lines Tour (supporting Robin Thicke) (2014)
Awards and nominations
|2014||Rebellious Soul Musical||Piper|
|2012–13, 2015||Love & Hip Hop: Atlanta||Herself|
|2013–14||Love & Hip Hop||Herself|
|2014–present||K. Michelle: My Life||Herself|
|2015–present||Love & Hip Hop: Hollywood||Herself|
- K. Michelle at The Breakfast Club. Interview with Charlamagne Tha God, DJ Envy, and Angela Yee. November 20, 2012. The Breakfast Club (radio show). WWPR. New York City.
- Rattler. Florida A&M University. 2001. Retrieved January 12, 2015.
- "Interview: K. Michelle Talks "Rebellious Soul", Winning Once She Stopped Caring, Reality TV". New R&B Music, R&B Videos, R&B Interviews, R&B Concert Coverage - YouKnowIGotSoul. Retrieved January 12, 2015.
- "K. Michelle Chart History (Peak Dates)". Billboard. Retrieved September 15, 2012.
- "News: K. Michelle's Rebellious Soul Album Sales Lead To Impressive Debut". Singersroom. Retrieved January 12, 2015.
- "K. Michelle To Star In Idris Elba Directed Musical". The Urban Daily. Retrieved January 12, 2015.
- "K.Michelle talks Delta Sigma Theta, being a role model". S2SMagazine.com. Retrieved January 12, 2015.
- "K. Michelle". Billboard.com. Retrieved January 12, 2015.
- "K. Michelle: "I’m the Happiest I've Been in My Career"". bet.com. August 2, 2011. Retrieved August 29, 2012.
- Canada, Danielle (July 1, 2011). "K. Michelle Says "Fawk Jive Records", Talks R. Kelly Mentorship, Crush on Lupe Fiasco". hiphopwired.com. Retrieved August 29, 2012.
- "Love & Hip Hop Atlanta " Cast › K.Michelle". vh1.com. Retrieved August 29, 2012.
- Muhammad, Latifah (April 18, 2013). BET K. Michelle Confirms She's Leaving Love & Hip Hop Atlanta http://www.bet.com/news/music/2013/04/18/k-michelle-confirms-she-s-leaving-love-hip-hop-atlanta.html K. Michelle Confirms She's Leaving Love & Hip Hop Atlanta. Missing or empty
- "K. Michelle Signs Major Record Deal With Warner Bros, Talks Being Blessed". Singersroom. November 19, 2012. Retrieved August 20, 2013.
- "Pass Or Play? K Michelle Shows Her Skills In New "V.S.O.P." Video". MadameNoire. Retrieved January 12, 2015.
- "BRAND NEW MUSIC: K. Michelle's "V.S.O.P" Single | The Young, Black, and Fabulous". Theybf.com. Retrieved 2013-07-23.
- "K. Michelle". Billboard.com. Retrieved January 12, 2015.
- BRIAN Davis / July 1st, 2013 (2013-07-01). "Music Video: K. Michelle – "V.S.O.P." – Concreteloop.Com | Quality Not Quantity". Concreteloop.com. Retrieved 2013-07-23.
- Exton, Emily (2013-07-01). "Watch K.Michelle's Music Video For "V.S.O.P." | Reality TV + Gossip". Blog.vh1.com. Retrieved 2013-07-23.
- Tardio, Andres. "Hip Hop Album Sales: The Week Ending 8/18/2013". HipHopDX. Retrieved August 21, 2013.
- "HITSDailyDouble: Upcoming Releases". Hitsdailydouble.com. Retrieved January 12, 2015.
- "K. Michelle - Still No Fucks Given". Orangemixtapes.com. Retrieved January 12, 2015.
- Rose, Lacey (March 5, 2014). "VH1 Unveils New Slate: Rappers, DNA Testing and Walks of Shame". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved March 5, 2014.
- Augustine, Afiya (July 21, 2014). "K. Michelle's New Spin-Off Reality Show Gets Air Date (PHOTO)". Wetpaint. Retrieved July 31, 2014.
- "Listen: K. Michelle Premieres Heartbreaker Anthem "Love 'Em All"". Directlyrics. Retrieved January 12, 2015.
- "Keyshia Cole And K. Michelle Announce Joint Tour Beginning In January As "V.S.O.P." Singer Preps For New VH1 Reality Show 'My Life'". Music Times. Retrieved January 12, 2015.
- Tube, You (29 October 2014). "K. Michelle - #AWBAH Official Album Trailer". Company. Youtube. Retrieved 30 October 2014.
- Wass, Mike (29 October 2014). "K. Michelle Unveils Her Striking ‘Anybody Wanna Buy A Heart’ Album Cover & Official Trailer: Watch". Company. Idolator. Retrieved 30 October 2014.
- Pate, Kimberly (29 October 2014). "My new album 'Anybody Wanna Buy A Heart?' will be available December 9th!". Company. Twitter. Retrieved 30 October 2014.
- "Hip Hop Album Sales: J. Cole, Eminem, PRhyme". Hiphopdx.com. Retrieved 12 January 2015.
- "K. Michelle". Billboard. Retrieved January 12, 2015.