||This article contains wording that promotes the subject in a subjective manner without imparting real information. (November 2012)|
|Birth name||Kim Hyung-Soo|
December 30, 1981 |
Gwangju, South Korea
|Genres||R&B, soul, ballad|
|Occupation(s)||Singer-songwriter, vocal coach, Radio DJ|
|Instruments||Piano, vocals, beatboxing, rapping|
|Years active||2006 - present|
|Labels||Big Hit Entertainment
(2006 - 2007)
(2008 - present)
|Associated acts||Boyfriend, Sistar|
|Revised Romanization||Kim Hyeongsu|
Kim Hyung-Soo (Hangul: 김형수; born December 30, 1981), better known by his stage name K.Will (Hangul: 케이윌) is a South Korean ballad singer-songwriter, vocal coach, and DJ at 107.7 SBS Power FM (using his real name as his DJ name). K.Will first became known in South Korea through his single “Dream” in “A Love to Kill” OST, released in 2006. A year after his single, he released his first album “Left Heart” in 2007. K.Will came back with a successful single, "Love 119," in December 2008. This was followed by a mini album “Dropping the Tears” in April 2009 and his second album “Miss, Miss and Miss” in November 2009.
K.Will showed his love for music and singing in his childhood. He often sang with his mother while she played a guitar. After graduating from high school, he told his parents that he wanted to be a singer. However, his parents were against the idea and convinced him that it should not be his primary job. Ultimately, two jobs proved too difficult to manage at once, so he decided to focus on music.
K.Will participated in auditions and looked for potential song-writers to collaborate with. When K.Will was a trainee, he would do anything to sing, such as performing at street concerts, singing backup, or singing the chorus for famous artists. During that time, he developed friendships with now well-known artists like 8Eight, Lim Jeong-Hee, SG Wannabe and Sweet Sorrow.
When K.Will was helping Rain produce his second album, he was noticed by Park Jin-Young, an influential producer in the Korean music industry. Park Jin-Young wrote and composed the title track of K.Will's first album “Left Heart”. K.Will's first album, titled "Left Heart" was released on March 6, 2007. Though "Left Heart" is noted as K.Will’s debut album, he had already performed his debut stage with Lim Jeong-hee (Street Dive also known as J-Lim) in 2006.
During this time, videos of K.Will singing some of Mariah Carey’s songs surfaced online. K.Will had sung "Without You," "My All," and "I Still Believe", and performed them so well that netizens nicknamed him the “male Mariah” in Korea. Soon more videos surfaced, notably of him singing the high notes in Celine Dion's song "My Heart Will Go On" from the movie Titanic.
On December 2, 2008, K.Will released the digital single "Love 119", a collaboration with the well-known rapper MC Mong. The single achieved #1 on online charts and ranked #2 on the KBS Music Bank K-Chart without any promotions.
Motivated by the popularity of "Love 119", K.Will released a mini album titled "Dropping the Tears" on March 31, 2009. His deep, husky and beautiful voice made the title track with the same name as the album full of emotion and it also reached #1 on online charts, though at a slower pace than "Love 119." He worked with two members of Girls' Generation, Yuri and Tiffany for this album: Yuri appeared in his "Dropping the Tears" music video while Tiffany sang a duet with him called "Girl, Meets Love". K.Will and Tiffany performed this on Music Core in July 2009.
Not long before ending the mini album promotions, K.Will surprised audiences with his versatility by doing a special stage with Outsider the fastest rapper in South Korea, and K.Will rapped almost as fast as him in the song "Loner".
He made his debut in acting in the "Soul Special: Music Drama" where he worked with Han Hyo-Joo. The drama “Soul Special” was a revolution in the entertainment business since all episodes were only released online.
In October 2009, a few weeks before the release of his second album, K.Will was diagnosed with the H1N1 virus. Though he recovered in less than a week, his second album was postponed until November 5, 2009.
His title track, "Miss, Miss and Miss" was a moderate success and reached its peak at #8 on the KBS Music Bank K-Chart. He also collaborated with Outsider in this album, after their success during the summer. However, their song "Hypnosis" was banned by KBS because it contained the word “mute” and so his follow-up promotions for "Miss, Miss and Miss" were cancelled.
On December 25, 2009, (Christmas Day) K.Will held his first solo concert. Tickets sold out faster than that of any other solo artist.
K.Will debuted in the U.S.A. on "THE THREE ROMANTICISTS" concert along with Kim Bum Soo and Yoo Seung-Chan on March 5, 2010. His single titled "Present" was released on March 10, 2010 and achieved #1 on many online music charts.
K.Will embarked on his first solo concert in Japan, "K.WILL Live Concert with Band in Tokyo" in May 2010 and "K.WILL Live Concert with Band in Osaka" in July 2010. On the July 31st, K.Will appeared on the music show "The MUZIT" as one of the main MCs along with upperclassmen singer Yoo Young Suk . On the first episode K.Will and Charice performed the duet "Endless Love".
At the end of year, K.Will‘s two-day Christmas concert was completely sold out.
A year after his second album, K.Will released another digital single featuring Simon D and Hyorin of Sistar titled "Amazed" on January 21, 2011. The song rapidly reached to the top of the several music charts. Seven weeks later, K.Will's second mini album was released and he held a live showcase, performance, and released the music video for "My Heart is Beating" in which Lee Joon (MBLAQ) and IU starred. The title track of this album was an all-kill on music charts. Five years since his debut, K.Will finally won the Mutizen on SBS Inkigayo.
K.Will successfully completed his third solo concert, "My Heart Is Beating" at the Olympic Park Hall on June 25, 2011. He has also participated several variety shows such as "We Got Married" with Kim Hyung Jun, the drama "Spy Myung Wol" and the reality show "Immortal Songs 2" nearly the end of the year.
As with the tradition, he ended the year with a 3-day Christmas concert.
After joining KBS TV "Immortal Songs 2" in November 2011, K.Will left the show after winning three times, and set the new record, winning against 5 consecutive singers in the leaving episode on January 21, 2012.
On February 14, 2012 (Valentine's Day), K.Will released his 3rd mini album "I Need You" two weeks after releasing a digital single of one of the songs from the mini album entitled "I Hate Myself". On the same day, K.Will also unveiled a music video for "I Need You" on Starship Entertainment’s official YouTube channel, which features Sistar's Bora, actors Ji Chang Wook and Yeo Jin Gu. "I Need You" peaked at No. 2 on the Billboard K-Pop Hot 100., while "I Hate Myself" peaked at no. 6. The album marked the five-year anniversary of K.Will’s first debut as a singer-songwriter. His self-composed song, "I'll Be With You" is also included and is dedicated to all his fans who believed in him. He was also the co-writer the lyrics of "I'm Will". K.Will earned his first K-Chart award since his debut 6 years ago on KBS Music Bank for his track "I Need You."
On October 7, Starship Entertainment revealed some photos of K.Will's recent photoshoot for his upcoming album. The album "Third Album, Part 1" was released on October 11 along with the MV for "Please Don't...", the title track. Promotions for "Please Don't..." were the most successful in K.Will's career to date. The music video starred Seo In-guk, Sistar's Dasom, and Ahn Jae-hyun, and was praised for its originality. It was also notable for its twist ending involving Seo's character revealing he is actually in love with Ahn's.
On February 14, 2013 (Valentine's Day again), Powerhouse Live (U.S.) presented K.Will in a Valentine's Day solo concert in the Orpheum Theatre in Los Angeles, California. He performed his hits, some including "Please Don't," "I Need You," "My Heart is Beating," and "Love 119".
On April 3, 2013 K.Will released his new single, "Love Blossom".
On October 19, 2013 K.Will released his new album, "Will in Fall". The music video for the album's single, "You Don't Know Love," starring EXO rapper Chanyeol and South Korean model Lee Ho Jung, came out two days later, on October 21.
|2013||Gag Concert (Ep.435)||KBS2|
|2013||Barefooted Friends (Ep.25)||SBS|
- Left Heart (2007)
- Missing You (2009)
- The Third Album Part 1 (2012)
- The Third Album Part 2: Love Blossom (2013)
||Park Ju-ho||Online music drama (12 episodes, 5 minutes each) released on TVon Nate.com (see References below).|
|2011||Spy Myung Wol||As himself||Cameo at episode 10|
|2015||Hyde, Jekyll, Me
||As himself||Cameo at episode 18|
||As himself||Cameo at episode 9|
When he released his first album, he got compliments from established entertainer Rain, who said "I believe he’s one of the best vocalists of 2007. [...] K.Will has a voice that I really like. His talent is amazing, plus he has even refined it for such a long time. He exerts himself incessantly."
Rain’s mentor and songwriter Park Jin-Young once mentioned "People say the songs I wrote are really difficult for other singers to sing in their own style, as they have too much of my personality. But "Left Heart", people don’t even know that it’s my song because K.Will perfectly interpreted the song in his style." He also said "This is the perfect singer which I’m looking for."
Awards and nominations
- arirangworld, arirangworld,. "(Pops in Seoul) K-will (케이윌) 눈물이 뚝뚝, 1초에 한방울". youtube. Retrieved 2009-07-05.
- 박, 세연,. 케이윌, 아웃사이더 ‘외톨이’ 속사포랩 미션성공 ‘빠르다 빨라~’. newsen (in Korean). Retrieved 2009-07-11.
- "케이윌, K-Dragon으로 깜짝 변신!". The Unionpress (in Korean). Retrieved 2009-11-22.
- 이, 언혁. 케이윌, 발라드 잠시벗고 댄스무대 깜짝 ‘감미로움 여전해’. newsen (in Korean). Retrieved 2009-12-16.
- 신, 수연. (인터뷰) 가수 케이윌, 학창시절 독서실서 쫓겨나 ‘노래 부르다 보니’ ① 한국재경신문. jknews (in Korean). Retrieved 2009-04-28.
- 신, 수연,. (인터뷰) 솔로가수 케이윌, ‘그룹 활동 다시 해보고피’ ③. jknews (in Korean). Retrieved 2009-04-28.
- "(Vid) Old K.will’s chat". KBS World (reikanorakuen). 2009-06-30. Retrieved 2009-06-30.
|last1=in Authors list (help)
- 126, Lalala,. "Mariah Carey Songs - K.Will (from S.Korea)". youtube. Retrieved 2007-02-04.
- 박, 재덕,. 케이윌, ‘초고음2탄’셀린 디옹 화제. joynews (in Korean). Retrieved 2007-03-19.
- Ay, Link,. "K.Will visits Lee Hana’s Peppermint". jazzholic. Retrieved 2007-02-01.
- Ay, Link,. "K.Will’s mini album rocks the chart". jazzholic. Retrieved 2009-04-01.
- Ay, Link,. "K.Will the vocal guru". jazzholic. Retrieved 2009-05-19.
- 심, 재걸,. 케이윌, ‘한류 페스티벌 무대’ 일본 방문. Economy Today (in Korean). Retrieved 2009-09-08.
- Ay, Link,. "K.Will’s first acting debut". jazzholic. Retrieved 2009-09-16.
- ITN, KBSN 방송예술원. "컨버젼스 드라마(Convergence Drama) " 쏘울 스페셜"". tvon.nate. Retrieved 2009-10-22.
- Ay, Link,. "K.Will is back and healthy". jazzholic. Retrieved 2009-10-20.
- 이, 정아. 케이윌, 새 앨범 수록곡 ‘최면’ 방송불가 판정...왜?. OSEN (in Korean). Retrieved 2009-11-10.
- 박, 영웅. 케이윌, 데뷔 후 첫 단독 콘서트 전석 매진. TV Report (in Korean). Retrieved 2009-12-18.
- ""THE THREE ROMANTICISTS" FEATURING KIM BUM SOO, YOO SEUNG CHAN, & K.WILL". powerhouselive.
- Go, Woonchoi. "Love Story In LA - 김범수, 유승찬, 케이윌". youtube. Retrieved 2010-02-16.
- Ay, Link. "K.Will’s newest teaser clip draws attention". jazzholic. Retrieved 2010-03-04.
- 손, 수정. 케이윌 신곡 '선물' 실시간 차트 1위 기염!. todaykorea (in Korean). Retrieved 2010-03-11.
- 이, 태문. 케이윌, 감성과 감동 넘친 첫 밴드라이브. Yonhap News (in Korean). Retrieved 2010-05-16.
- 문, 연배 (2010-07-25). ′감성 보컬′ 케이윌, 1천여 日 팬심 녹이다. asiatoday (in Korean).
- allkpop, sweetrevenge. "K.Will gets his own music show". allkpop (in Korean). Retrieved 2010-07-13.
- allkpop, VITALWARNING. "K.Will’s two-day Christmas concert completely sold out". allkpop (in Korean). Retrieved 2010-12-23.
- 문, 연배. 케이윌 신곡 '기가차' 음원차트 1위 '돌풍'. asiatoday (in Korean). Retrieved 2011-01-21.
- Qer.kamal, Karen. "[Midnight News] K.Will to hold a Showcase to commemorate his 2nd mini-album". koreanupdates (in Korean). Retrieved 2011-03-03.
- 조, 우영 (2011-03-14). 케이윌, 음원차트 '올킬'..아이유 효과 톡톡?. tvreport (in Korean).
- koreaboo, Eggyone. "K. Will wins on Inkigayo + other performances". koreaboo (in Korean). Retrieved 2011-04-03.
- allkpop, VITALSIGN. "K.Will successfully completes his third solo concert, "My Heart Is Beating"". allkpop (in Korean). Retrieved 2011-06-27.
- allkpop, sarahsusiepak. "Park So Hyun and Kim Won Joon kiss at their ‘wedding ceremony’, reveal a secret romance". allkpop (in Korean). Retrieved 2011-04-17.
- allkpop, kdramacrazy. "[Spoiler: Spy Myung Wol] Two stars make surprise cameos!". allkpop (in Korean). Retrieved 2011-08-09. External link in
- allkpop, leesa86. "Immortal Song 2 to undergo change in singer line up". allkpop (in Korean). Retrieved 2011-11-01.
- allkpop, Vitalsign. "K.Will shows off his sexier side at his Christmas concert". allkpop (in Korean). Retrieved 2011-12-24.
- 조, 우영. "케이윌, 설운도 극찬 속 `불후2` 최초 5연승 1위". starin. Retrieved 2012-01-21.
- smiley, small. "K.Will Unveils "I Need You" MV Featuring Dasom and Ji Chang Wook". soompi. Retrieved 2012-02-14.
- "Billboard K-Pop Hot 100". billboard. Retrieved 2012-03-03.
- "Billboard K-Pop Hot 100". billboard. Retrieved 2012-02-18.
- Music Story, Melon. "멜론 뮤직스토리 감성 신드롬 '케이윌'". melon. Retrieved 2012-02-14.
- koreaboo, Uni. "K.Will thanks fans for his 1st K-Chart win since his debut". koreaboo. Retrieved 2012-03-02.
- "K.Will to return with new album after 3 years!". allkpop. 10/07/2012. Retrieved 10/08/2012. Check date values in:
- 박, 재덕,. 박진영-비, 케이윌 '극찬' 릴레이. joynews (in Korean). Retrieved 2007-03-06.
- hying, hying,. "Lee Min Ho praises K.Will’s new album". koreanclicks. Retrieved 2009-11-11.
- (인터뷰) 가수 케이윌, 학창시절 독서실서 쫓겨나 ‘노래 부르다 보니’ ① 한국재경신문 : (Interview) K.Will, kicked out of a study room? ‘For singing’ Part 1
- (인터뷰) 솔로가수 케이윌, ‘그룹 활동 다시 해보고피’ ③ : (Interview) Singing alone, ‘want to be in a group someday’ Part 3
- 박진영 "케이윌, 천재성•노력•창법 갖춘 완벽신인 : Park Jin-young & Rain complements K.Will
- 케이윌, '초고음 2탄' 셀린 디옹 화제 : UCC of K.Will singing a Celine Dion’s song is a hot issue
- 케이윌 "동방신기, 아이돌 중 최고 보컬 : K.Will says ‘TVXQ is the most talented of the Idol groups’