Violin Sonatas, KV 10–15 (Mozart)
Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart's set of six sonatas for keyboard with accompaniment of violin (or flute) and cello, K. 10–15 were composed in late 1764 in London during the Mozart family's grand tour of Europe. Queen Charlotte (the wife of King George III) commissioned them on 25 October and the works were dedicated on 18 January 1765. They were published as Mozart's "Opus III" by his father Leopold at 20 Frith Street, Soho, London, where the Mozarts lived from September 1764 until after May 1765.
The keyboard part was originally written for a harpsichord. Unlike Mozart's other works for violin and keyboard, the first edition was printed with a separate ad lib. cello part for all six sonatas. The part mostly doubles the principal notes in the left hand part of the keyboard in the manner of Haydn's early piano trios (e.g. Trio no. 5 in G. minor, Hob. XV:1), or a set of similarly scored sonatas (Op. 2, W.B 43-48) by Queen Charlotte's music teacher Johann Christian Bach ("The London Bach"). Bach befriended the young Mozart and become an important influence on the younger composer's evolving style.
The Neue Mozart-Ausgabe therefore includes the works with the piano trios, unlike the earlier "Old Mozart Edition" and the various editions of the Köchel catalogue which list them as violin sonatas (or flute sonatas).
Sonata in B flat, K. 10
- Menuetto I and II
Sonata in G, K. 11
- Menuetto (da capo Allegro)
Sonata in A, K. 12
Sonata in F, K. 13
- Menuetto I and II
Sonata in C, K. 14
- Menuetto I and Menuetto II en Carillon
Sonata in B flat, K. 15
- Andante maestoso
- Allegro grazioso
- Sadie, Stanley (2006). Mozart: The Early Years 1756-1781. Oxford University Press. pp. 86–87. ISBN 978-0-19-816529-3.
- Sheppard, F. H. W., ed. (1966). Frith and Bateman Street: Portland Estate: Frith Street. Survey of London: volumes 33 and 34: St Anne Soho. pp. 151–166. Retrieved 14 December 2012.
- Plath, Wolfgang; Rehm, Wolfgang (1966). "Preface" (PDF). New Mozart Edition, series VIII/22/2: Piano Trios. (in English). Bärenreiter Kassel. pp. VI–VII, IX. Retrieved 13 September 2015. Facsimile title page of 1st edition, p. XVI.
- Sonata in B KV 10: Score and critical report (German) in the Neue Mozart-Ausgabe
- Sonata in G KV 11: Score and critical report (German) in the Neue Mozart-Ausgabe
- Sonata in A KV 12: Score and critical report (German) in the Neue Mozart-Ausgabe
- Sonata in F KV 13: Score and critical report (German) in the Neue Mozart-Ausgabe
- Sonata in C KV 14: Score and critical report (German) in the Neue Mozart-Ausgabe
- Sonata in B KV 15: Score and critical report (German) in the Neue Mozart-Ausgabe
- "MozartForum notes on early Mozart compositions". Archived from the original on 30 November 2013.
- Naxos.com liner notes
|This article about a sonata is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|