|Born||October 6, 1952|
|Occupation||Poet, lyricist, scriptwriter, bureaucrat|
M. Krishnan Nair (Father) |
Sulochana Devi (Mother)
K. Jayakumar (Malayalam: കെ. ജയകുമാര്) (born 6 October 1952) is a senior Indian Administrative Service (IAS) officer from Kerala who retired as the Chief Secretary, Government of Kerala. Jayakumar is also a popular Malayali poet, lyricist, translator and scriptwriter. He is the son of noted Malayalam film director M. Krishnan Nair. He has served as the founding vice-chancellor of the Malayalam University.
Jayakumar belongs to 1978 batch of IAS. He began his civil service career as an assistant collector in 1980. During his career Jayakumar held important bureaucratic positions at various levels in the Governments of Kerala and India, including District Collector, Kozhikode; Director of Tourism Department, Government of Kerala; Director of Public Instructions (DPI), Kerala;, Secretary, Tourism and Culture, Managing Director, Film Development Corporation, Joint Secretary, Ministry of Tourism & Culture, Government of India; Agriculture Production Commissioner, Government of Kerala. He served as the Chief Secretary, Government of Kerala during the period April 2012 to October 2012. In 2008, Jayakumar was honored by presenting the first K.P.S. Menon Memorial Award in recognition to his distinguished service as a bureaucrat. On retirement as the Chief Secretary, Jayakumar was appointed as the first Vice-Chancellor of the Thunchath Ezhuthachan Malayalam University.
Jayakumar is also a poet, lyricist, screenwriter and painter. He has written lyrics for nearly 100 filmsMalayalam films and large number of songs for albums, Television and radio. He has also written and directed a children's film. He has held 17 solo exhibitions in India and abroad. He has authored twenty five books in Malayalam, and four works in English . His translations of Tagore, Kahlil Gibran and Rumi are well acclaimed.
Jayakumar is the eldest son of the late eminent film director M. Krishnan Nair and K. Sulochana Devi. He has two younger brothers, K. Harikumar and K. Sreekumar (K. Sreekuttan), the latter being a popular film director himself. He is married to Meera, and has two children - a son named Anand and a daughter named Aswathi.
- Rathriyude Sadhyathakal
- Solamante Pranayageethangal
- Rumiyude Pranayakavithakal'(translation)'
- Aparathayod anuragapoorvam
- Vayalar-Ganarachanyile Gandharvam
- "Krishnan Nair and Smt. Sulochana Devi". 27 May 2011. Retrieved 21 November 2011.
- "Jayakumar to take charge as Malayalam University VC". The New Indian Express. 1 November 2012. Retrieved 4 November 2012.
- "കെ. ജയകുമാർ മലയാളസർവകലാശാലയിൽനിന്ന് പടിയിറങ്ങി". മാതൃഭൂമി ഓൺലൈൻ. 26 October 2017. Archived from the original on 27 October 2017. Retrieved 17 March 2018.
- District Collectors of Kozhikode
- Bio-Data of K. Jayakumar
- Genesis of General Education-Kerala
- Kerala State Archives Council
- Additional Chief Secretary, Water Resources, Devaswom and Home and Vigilance, "'Many factors force farmers to leave land fallow in State'". The Hindu. 2 October 2008. Retrieved 9 May 2009.
- "K. Jayakumar new Chief Secretary". The Hindu. March 28, 2012. Retrieved April 1, 2012.
- "Kerala celebrates formation day". The Hindu. 1 November 2012. Retrieved 4 November 2012.
- "Award for Jayakumar". The Hindu. 5 December 2008. Retrieved 2009-05-15.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to K. Jayakumar.|
- An image of K. Jayakumar