|MP of Rajya Sabha (Nominated)|
29 June 2012 – 28 June 2018
|Advocate General of Tamil Nadu|
|Preceded by||Govind Swaminadhan|
|Succeeded by||V. P. Raman|
|Born||9 October 1927|
Srirangam, Tamil Nadu, India
Shrimati Saroja Parasaran (m. 1949)
|Children||Two Daughters Three Sons|
|Parents||Shri R. Kesava Aiyangar (father)|
Shrimati Ranganayaki (mother)
|Residence||R-20, Ground Floor, Greater Kailashi , Delhi. 110048|
|Education||B.A. (Economics), B.L. Educated at Presidency College, Chennai and Law College, Madras|
|Awards||Padma Bhushan(2003), Padma Vibhushan(2011)|
K. Parasaran (born 9 October 1927) is a lawyer from India. He was Advocate-General of Tamil Nadu during President's rule in 1976 and then, Attorney General of India under Indira Gandhi and Rajiv Gandhi between 1983 and 1989. Parasaran was awarded the Padma Bhushan in the year 2003 and Padma Vibhushan in the year 2011. In June 2012, he received a presidential nomination to the Rajya Sabha, the upper house of India's parliament, for a period of six years.
Early life & education
Born in Srirangam district of Tamil Nadu, Parasaran is the son of Kesava Iyengar, a lawyer, and Shrimati Ranganayaki. While pursuing his BL (now, BA. LLB), he was awarded the Shri Justice C.V. Kumaraswami Sastri Sanskrit Medal and Justice Shri V. Bhashyam Iyengar Gold Medal in Hindu Law. During the Bar Council examination, he received the Justice Shri K.S. Krishnaswamy Iyengar Medal.
Parasaran began his legal practice before the Supreme Court in 1958. He defended the National Judicial Appointments Commission in 2014, as a member of the Rajya Sabha. In a career spanning over six decades, Parasaran is known for his contribution in the following landmark cases:
- Sabarimala case
In the Sabarimala case, Parasaran defended the Nair Service Society by arguing that the ban restricting the entry of menstruating women in the Sabarimala Temple is right. He recited paragraphs from the Ramayana to explain the concept of Naishtika Brahmacharya, that is, the celibate nature of the deity, Ayyappan.
- Ayodhya case
On 9th November 2019, Supreme Court of India gave the verdict in favour of Ram Lalla Virajman thanks to K. Parasaran who played a significant role in the same
- Roy, Debayan (18 October 2019). "Parasaran, the 'pitamah' of Indian lawyers got his wish when Ayodhya hearings ended". ThePrint. Retrieved 9 November 2019.
- "Meet K Parasaran, the 93-year-old Advocate For Hindus Whose Spiritual Connect With Ram Kept Him Going". News18. Retrieved 9 November 2019.
- "You Know Rajeev Dhavan, Now Meet 92-Year-Old K Parasaran Who Is Leading Hindus' Legal Fight For Ram Mandir". swarajyamag.com. Retrieved 9 November 2019.
- "At 92, key face in Ayodhya case K Parasaran is a trusted voice of many governments". The Indian Express. 12 August 2019. Retrieved 9 November 2019.
- "K Parasaran, 'Pitamaha' of India Bar, emerges hero in Ayodhya land dispute case". www.businesstoday.in. Retrieved 24 November 2019.
- "Parasaran, Vittal, Natarajan among Padma awardees". The Hindu. Special Correspondent. 26 January 2011. ISSN 0971-751X. Retrieved 24 November 2019.CS1 maint: others (link)
- "M Venkaiah Naidu presents Most Eminent Senior Citizen Award to K Parasaran | DD News". ddnews.gov.in. Retrieved 24 November 2019.
|This Indian law–related biographical article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|