K. Prithika Yashini
Prithika Yashini was born and brought up as Pradeep Kumar (a male name), the son of a driver-tailor couple in Salem, Tamil Nadu. She had a difficult childhood where her parents took her to temples, doctors, astrologers to 'set things right'. When she was in grade ninth, she felt different and didn't feel like a boy. She completed her undergraduation in computer applications.
She began her career in Chennai working as a warden in a women's hostel.
Yashini applied for recruitment as a sub-inspector of police to the Tamil Nadu Uniformed Services Recruitment Board (TNUSRB) to fill vacancies for 1087 posts. However, her application was rejected as being a trans woman she did not belong to any of the two specified categories, namely, male or female. Subsequently, she challenged the decision of the TNUSRB in different courts including the High Court of Madras.
Accordingly, the High Court of Madras ordered to conduct a written test for her. The test for the recruitment comprises written test, physical endurance test and a viva-voce. With legal recourse in a competent court, she was able to lower the minimum cut-off marks for written test for such a recruitment from 28.5 to 25.00. She cleared all physical endurance tests except missing 100 meter dash by one second. However, she was testified successful in the physical endurance test.
In terms of judgement of the Madras High Court, which was delivered on 6 November 2015, directions were given to the Tamil Nadu Uniformed Services Recruitment Board (TNUSRB) to appoint K Prithika Yashini as a sub-inspector of police as she is "entitled to get the job". The judgement further directed the TNUSRB to include transgender people as a "third category", apart from the usual category of "male" and "female".
- "India's first transgender SI assumes office".
- "Chennai's Prithika Yashini set to become India's first transgender sub inspector". www.oneindia.com.
- Kannadasan, Akila (30 November 2015). "There's no looking back". The Hindu. ISSN 0971-751X. Retrieved 28 October 2017.
- "Prithika, first transgender SI in country, takes charge - Times of India". The Times of India. Retrieved 28 October 2017.
- "Meet K Prithika Yashini, India's first transgender SI | Latest News & Updates at Daily News & Analysis". dna. 3 April 2017. Retrieved 28 October 2017.
- "India's First Transgender Sub-Inspector Takes Charge. And She's Beat Incredible Odds to Get Here". The Better India. 5 April 2017. Retrieved 25 April 2018.
- "India's first transgender sub-inspector to take charge in Chennai". intoday.in.
|This Indian biographical article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This law enforcement biography article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|