K. R. Suresh Reddy
This biography of a living person needs additional citations for verification. (May 2017) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Kethi Reddy Suresh Reddy
|Member Of Parliament |
|Assumed office |
10 April 2020
|Preceded by||K. V. P. Ramachandra Rao|
|Speaker of Andhra Pradesh Legislative Assembly|
2004 - 2009
|Preceded by||K. Pratibha Bharati|
|Succeeded by||Nallari Kiran Kumar Reddy|
|Born||25 May 1959|
|Political party||Telangana Rashtra Samithi|
|Indian National Congress|
Kethi Reddy Suresh Reddy is an Indian politician who is the current Member of Rajya Sabha from Telangana since from 2020. He was the Speaker of the Legislative Assembly of Andhra Pradesh from 2004 to 2009.
Reddy has had a political career spanning nearly two decades and is a four-time Indian National Congress (INC) MLA from the Balkonda assembly constituency. He became Speaker of the Twelfth Andhra Pradesh Legislative Assembly at the age of 45 having begun his career in politics as a mandal-level leader in 1984. He was the first person from Nizamabad district to act as Speaker.
Reddy, began his political career as the mandal Youth Congress president in 1984. In 1989 the former Chief Minister, M. Channa Reddy, nominated him as the candidate from Balkonda constituency. He won that and went on to win it again in the 1994, 1999 and 2004 elections, equalling the record of former Finance Minister, Argul Rajaram in that constituency. He was also one of only two INC candidates to win in the Telangana region in the 1994 election, with the other being D. Redya Naik.
In 2009, due to delimitation, the Balkonda constituency was reorganised. Reddy was asked by former Chief Minister Y. S. Rajasekhara Reddy to contest instead the Armur constituency. He lost that election, in part due to the effect of the alliance between the Telugu Desam Party and TRS, as well as the emergence of Chiranjeevi's PRP party
During his stint as an MLA, he was the Library Committee Chairman of the Assembly from 1990 to 1993. In 1997, he became chairman of the Public Accounts Committee, and he also served as the Congress party whip from 2000-2003.
Senior Congress leader and former Assembly Speaker, K. R. Suresh Reddy on 7 September 2018 announced his decision to join the TRS not for any "political gains" but to be part of the "silent revolution" for the progress and development of Telangana State.
Positions held in political career
- Speaker, Andhra Pradesh Legislative Assembly during 2004-09
- Commonwealth Parliamentary Association Executive Committee
- Member, Standing Committee of the All India Presiding Officers, regional representative of India Region
- Member, Indian Region Commonwealth Parliamentary Association Executive Committee
- President, Andhra Pradesh branch of the Commonwealth Parliamentary Association
- 1999-2009, Member of the Andhra Pradesh Legislative Assembly
- Director, Andhra Pradesh Industrial Development Corporation
- INC Whip in the Andhra Pradesh assembly
- Member, Committee on Estimates
- Chairman, Public Accounts Committee
- Member, Cricket Association of Telagana
- "Suresh Reddy lobbies for council seat". The Times of India. 5 April 2011. Retrieved 24 June 2019.
- "The Hindu". Retrieved 16 July 2012.