Kovelamudi Raghavendra Rao
|K. Raghavendra Rao|
|Born||Kovelamudi Raghavendra Rao
Kolavennu, Kankipadu Mandal, Vijayawada Revenue Division, Krishna District, Andhra Pradesh
|Relatives||K. S. Prakash Rao (father)
Kovelamudi Bapayya (brother)
Prakash Kovelamudi (son)
Shobu Yarlagadda (son in law)
K. Raghavendra Rao (born Kovelamudi Raghavendra Rao), was born on 23 May 1941, popularly known as Darsakendra, is an Indian film director, screenwriter and choreographer, known for his works predominantly in Telugu cinema, few Bollywood and Kannada films. He has garnered seven state Nandi Awards, the IIFA Award, the SIIMA Award, five Filmfare Awards South, and two CineMAA Awards.
In a film career spanning more than five decades, Rao has directed more than hundred feature films of which around ninety films were box office hits, across multiple genres such as romantic comedy, fantasy, melodrama, action thriller, biographical, and romance films.
Film craft and style
The 1987 Social problem film, Agni Putrudu, and the 1988 action thriller, Aakhari Poratam, were screened at the 11th and 12th International Film Festival of India respectively in the mainstream section. In 1992, he directed the melodrama Gharana Mogudu, premiered at the 1993 International Film Festival of India in the mainstream section, which became the first Telugu film to gross over ₹ 10 crore at the box office. Next he directed the instant hit Allari Priyudu, which was also premiered at the 1994 International Film Festival of India in the mainstream section.
In 1997, he scripted and directed the historical biographical film, Annamayya which won two National Film Awards, was also premiered at the 1998 International Film Festival of India in the mainstream section. Subsequently he directed, critically acclaimed biographical devotional films such as Sri Manjunatha (2001), Sri Ramadasu (2006), Pandurangadu (2008), Shirdi Sai (2012), and Om Namo Venkatesaya (2017) which received several state Nandi Awards. On the other hand, Rao has directed several action films which were box office hits, and is known for portraying his lead actresses in a sensuous manner.
Mr. Raghavendra Rao is the son of veteran director Kovelamudi Surya Prakash Rao, and Rao is the father of actor turned filmmaker Prakash Kovelamudi. Raghavendra Rao is an executive member in the Tirumala Tirupathi Devasthanam Board.
- B. N. Reddy National Award for lifetime contribution to Indian cinema (2009)
- Nandi Award for Best Director – Annamayya (1997)
- Nandi Award for Best Feature Film (director) – Annamayya (1997)
- Nandi Award for Best Choreographer – Pelli Sandadi (1996)
- Nandi Award for Best Director – Pelli Sandadi (1996)
- Nandi Award for Best Director – Allari Priyudu (1993)
- Nandi Award for Best Director – Bobbili Brahmanna (1984)
- Filmfare Awards South
- Filmfare Best Director Award (Telugu) – Prema Lekhalu (1977)
- Filmfare Best Director Award (Telugu) – Jagadeka Veerudu Athiloka Sundari (1990)
- Filmfare Best Director Award (Telugu) – Allari Priyudu (1993)
- Filmfare Best Director Award (Telugu) – Annamayya (1997)
- Filmfare Lifetime Achievement Award - South (2002)
- IIFA Award for Outstanding contribution to Indian cinema (2017)
- SIIMA Lifetime Achievement Award (2014)
- CineMAA Award for Lifetime Contribution – (2012)
- CineMAA Awards for Best Film (Jury) – Shirdi Sai – (2013)
- Other Awards
- Allu Ramalingaiah Award (2016)
- Naya Kadam (1984)
- Allari Priyudu (1993)
- Iddaru Mitrulu (1999)
- Pelli Sambandham (2000)
- Okato Number Kurradu (2002)
- Morning Raga (2004)
- Bommalata (2004)
- Sarigamalu (1992)
- Student No. 1 (2001)
- Bobby (2002)
- Anaganaga O Dheerudu (2011)
- Baahubali: The Beginning (2015)
- Baahubali: The Conclusion (2017)
- Pelli Sandadi (1996)
- 2002 Shanti Nivasam (writer)
- 2014 Soundrya Lahari
- 2016 Koyilamma (MAA TV)
- "K Raghavendra rao son in law Shobu"
- Telugu Cinema Celebrity Bio Data – K Raghavendra Rao
- CINEmaa Lifetime Achievement Award for Raghavendra Rao – The Hindu
- cineherald.com – cineherald Resources and Information. This website is for sale!
- Candid and confident – The Hindu
- First Telugu film to gross 100 million – Times Of India
- Saroja Devi, Ramoji Rao among recipients of A.P. film awards – The Hindu
- When the stars descended – The Hindu
- http:// Refer Filmfare Magazine August 1991, 38th filmfare awards south
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 5 February 2017. Retrieved 2017-02-05.
- IANS (30 March 2017). "'Janatha Garage', 'Kirik Party' bag top honours at IIFA Utsavam 2017" – via Business Standard.