Kovelamudi Raghavendra Rao
|K. Raghavendra Rao|
|Born||Kovelamudi Raghavendra Rao
Kolavennu, Krishna District, Andhra Pradesh, India
|Relatives||K. S. Prakash Rao (father)
Kovelamudi Bapayya (brother)
Prakash Kovelamudi (son)
Shobu Yarlagadda (son in law)
K. Raghavendra Rao (born Kovelamudi Raghavendra Rao), popularly known as Darshakendra, is an Indian film director, screenwriter and choreographer, known for his works predominantly in Telugu cinema, few Bollywood and Kannada films. He has garnered seven state Nandi Awards, four Filmfare Awards South, and two CineMAA Awards. Rao has directed films across multiple genres like romantic comedy, fantasy, melodrama, action and romance films.
The 1988 action film, Aakhari Poratam, was premiered at the 12th International Film Festival of India in the mainstream section. In 1992, he directed the melodrama Gharana Mogudu, premiered at the 1993 International Film Festival of India in the mainstream section, which became the first Telugu film to gross over ₹ 10 crore at the box office. Next he directed the instant hit Allari Priyudu, which was also premiered at the 1994 International Film Festival of India in the mainstream section.
In 1997, he scripted and directed the historical biographical film, Annamayya which won two National Film Awards, was also premiered at the 1998 International Film Festival of India in the mainstream section. Subsequently he directed, critically acclaimed devotional films like Sri Manjunatha (2001), Sri Ramadasu (2006), Pandurangadu (2008), and Shirdi Sai (2013), which received several state Nandi Awards.
Mr. Raghavendra Rao is the son of late Kovelamudi Surya Prakash Rao who was also a famous film director who made super hit movies like Prem Nagar, etc. Mr. Rao started his career, working under his father. Rao is the father of actor turned film maker Prakash Kovelamudi. Raghavendra Rao is an executive member in the Tirumala Tirupathi Devasthanam Board.
Raghavendra Rao has directed commercial films and devotional films throughout his career. He is also known for portraying navel in a sensuous manner. Legendary Telugu actor & director Dasari Narayana Rao had once commented, "When you see a heroine slightly removing her pallu to show her inside assets, you don't feel ashamed of it because of the artistic way in which Ragahvendra Rao projects it on the screen. Especially heroines' navels look most beautiful in his movies."
- Nandi Awards
- B. N. Reddy National Award for life time contribution to Indian cinema (2009)
- Nandi Award for Best Director – Annamayya (1998)
- Nandi Award for Best Feature Film (director) – Annamayya (1998)
- Nandi Award for Best Choreographer – Pelli Sandadi (1996)
- Nandi Award for Best Director – Pelli Sandadi (1996)
- Nandi Award for Best Director – Allari Priyudu (1994)
- Nandi Award for Best Director – Bobbili Brahmanna (1984)
- Filmfare Awards South
- Filmfare Best Director Award (Telugu) – Prema Lekhalu (1977)
- Filmfare Best Director Award (Telugu) – Jagadeka Veerudu Athiloka Sundari (1990)
- Filmfare Best Director Award (Telugu) – Allari Priyudu (1993)
- Filmfare Lifetime Achievement Award - South (2002)
- SIIMA Lifetime Achievement Award (2014)
- CineMAA Award for Life Time Contribution – (2012)
- CineMAA Awards for Best Film (Jury) – Shirdi Sai – (2013)
- Other Awards
- Allu Ramalingaiah Award (2016)
Supervisor of direction
- 2001 Student No. 1
- 1961 Vagdanam
- 1984 Naya Kadam
- 1993 Allari Priyudu
- 1999 Iddaru Mitrulu
- 2000 Pelli Sambandham
- 2002 Okato Number Kurradu
- 2004 Morning Raga
- 2004 Bommalata
- 1992 Sarigamalu
- 2001 Student No. 1
- 2002 Bobby
- 2011 Anaganaga O Dheerudu
- 2015 Baahubali: The Beginning
- 2017 Baahubali: The Conclusion
- 1996 Pelli Sandadi
- 2002 Shanti Nivasam - Story
- 2014 Soundrya Lahari Sharing his 50 years of experience in Telugu cinema
- "K Raghavendra rao son in law Shobu"
- Telugu Cinema Celebrity Bio Data – K Raghavendra Rao
- CINEmaa Lifetime Achievement Award for Raghavendra Rao – The Hindu
- cineherald.com – cineherald Resources and Information. This website is for sale!
- Candid and confident – The Hindu
- First Telugu film to gross 100 million – Times Of India
- Saroja Devi, Ramoji Rao among recipients of A.P. film awards – The Hindu
- When the stars descended – The Hindu
- Karthik Pasupulate (7 March 2014). "All the sexist things Telugu cinema heroes sing". The Times of India. Retrieved 1 August 2015.
- "Capturing women's navel in a sensual manner is KRR's forte !". iluvcinema.in. Retrieved 1 August 2015.
- Priyanka Pulla (September 2005). "Allari Bullodu Review". fullyhyd.com.
- "Dasari speaks about heroine's 'Navel'". Sulekha.com. 31 May 2010.
- http:// Refer Filmfare Magazine August 1991, 38th filmfare awards south