Kovelamudi Raghavendra Rao
|K. Raghavendra Rao|
|Born||Kovelamudi Raghavendra Rao
Kolavennu, Krishna District, Andhra Pradesh, India
|Relatives||K. S. Prakash Rao (father)
Prakash Kovelamudi (son)
Kovelamudi Bapayya (brother)
K. Raghavendra Rao (born Kovelamudi Raghavendra Rao), popularly known as Darshakendra is an Indian film director, screen writer and choreographer, known for his works predominantly in Telugu cinema, few Bollywood and Kannada films. He has garnered seven state Nandi Awards, three Filmfare Awards South, and two CineMAA Awards. Rao has directed films across multiple genres like romantic comedy, fantasy, melodrama, action and romance films.
The 1988 action film, Aakhari Poratam, was premiered at the 12th International Film Festival of India in the mainstream section. In 1992, He directed the melodrama, Gharana Mogudu, premiered at the 1993 International Film Festival of India in the mainstream section, which became the first Telugu film to gross over ₹ 10 million at the box office. Next he directed the instant hit Allari Priyudu, which was also premiered at the 1994 International Film Festival of India in the mainstream section.
In 1997, he scripted and directed the historical biographical film, Annamayya which won two National Film Awards, was also premiered at the 1998 International Film Festival of India in the mainstream section. Subsequently he directed, critically acclaimed devotional films like Sri Manjunatha (2001), Sri Ramadasu (2006), Pandurangadu (2008), and Shirdi Sai (2013), which received several state Nandi Awards.
- Nandi Awards
- B. N. Reddy National Award for life time contribution to Indian cinema (2009)
- Nandi Award for Best Director – Annamayya (1998)
- Nandi Award for Best Feature Film (director) – Annamayya (1998)
- Nandi Award for Best Choreographer – Pelli Sandadi (1996)
- Nandi Award for Best Director – Pelli Sandadi (1996)
- Nandi Award for Best Director – Allari Priyudu (1994)
- Nandi Award for Best Director – Bobbili Brahmanna (1984)
- Filmfare Awards South
- Filmfare Best Director Award (Telugu) – Prema Lekhalu (1977)
- Filmfare Best Director Award (Telugu) – Allari Priyudu (1993)
- Filmfare Lifetime Achievement Award - South (2002)
- SIIMA Lifetime Achievement Award (2014)
- CineMAA Award for Life Time Contribution – (2012)
- CineMAA Awards for Best Film (Jury) – Shirdi Sai – (2013)
- 2002 Shanti Nivasam - Story
- 2014 Soundrya Lahari Sharing his 50 years of experience in Telugu cinema
- "K Raghavendra rao son in law Shobu"
- Telugu Cinema Celebrity Bio Data – K Raghavendra Rao
- CINEmaa Lifetime Achievement Award for Raghavendra Rao – The Hindu
- cineherald.com – cineherald Resources and Information. This website is for sale!
- Candid and confident – The Hindu
- First Telugu film to gross 100 million – Times Of India
- Saroja Devi, Ramoji Rao among recipients of A.P. film awards – The Hindu
- When the stars descended – The Hindu