|Member of the Sri Lanka Parliament|
for Jaffna District
|Born||21 January 1957|
|Died||6 March 2008 (aged 51)|
A9 highway, Maankulam, Sri Lanka
|Political party||Tamil National Alliance|
Kiddinan Sivanesan (Tamil: கிட்டிணன் சிவனேசன் (Kiţţiṇaņ Civaņēcaņ); 21 January 1957 – 6 March 2008) was a Sri Lankan Tamil politician and former Member of Parliament. He was killed by a roadside bomb alleged to have been placed by the Sri Lanka Army's Long Range Reconnaissance Patrol (Deep Penetration Unit).
Sivanesan was born on 21 January 1957 and spent his early life in Karaveddy, Jaffna District. He studied at Nelliyadi Maththiya Mahaa Viththiyaalayam. He established a number of Palmyrah Development Societies and Coconut Development Societies in Jaffna peninsula. Sivanesan and his family moved to Mallavi when the A9 highway was closed. Between 1996 and 2004 he was general manager of Northern Region Palm Development Co-op Society.
On 6 March 2008 Sivanesan was travelling north along the A9 highway to his home in Mallavi after attending Parliament in Colombo. He crossed the frontline checkpoint at Omanthai, Vavuniya District and entered territory controlled by the Liberation Tigers of Tamil Eelam. Thirty minutes later, at around 1:20pm, Sivanesan's vehicle was near Maankulam, Mullaitivu District, some 35 kilometres (22 mi) north of the Omanthai checkpoint. Four claymore mines exploded in a row. Sivanesan's driver Periyannan Maheswararajah was killed on the spot. Sivanesan was taken to Maankulam hospital but died of his injuries.
The Tamil National Alliance immediately blamed the Sri Lankan government security forces for the assassination. They claimed that Sri Lankan Army's Long Range Reconnaissance Patrol had carried out the attack. Sivanesan had alleged that he had been harassed by Sri Lankan Army earlier. His vehicle had previously been targeted by claymore mines in 2007. The Army has denied the allegation.
- "Tamil MP is killed in Sri Lanka". BBC News. 6 March 2008.
- "General Election 2004 Preferences" (PDF). Department of Elections, Sri Lanka. Archived from the original (PDF) on 4 March 2010.
- "Jaffna TNA MP Sivanesan killed in DPU Claymore attack". TamilNet. 6 March 2008.
- "Tamil MP killed, Sri Lanka under fire over rights 'nightmare'". AFP. 5 March 2008. Archived from the original on 7 March 2008. Retrieved 6 March 2008.
- Pro-rebel lawmaker among two killed in Lanka blast
- K. Sivanesan
- "TNA condemns Sivanesan killing". TamilNet. 7 March 2008.
- "Pirapaharan confers Maamanithar title to Sivanesan". TamilNet. 7 March 2008.