K. V. P. Ramachandra Rao
|Dr.K.V.P Ramachandra Rao|
|MP of Rajya Sabha for Telangana|
2 June 2014 (elected earlier from AP on 10 April 2014 but later shifted to Telangana)
21 June 1948 |
Ampapuram, Krishna district, Andhra Pradesh
Dr.K.V.P.Ramachandra Rao (born 21 June 1948), is a Member of Parliament in India and chief adviser to the former chief minister of Andhra Pradesh Y. S. Rajasekhara Reddy. He belongs to Indian National Congress. He pressed for Y. S. Jagan Mohan Reddy to take on the post of Chief Minister. After Bifurcation of Andhra Pradesh he is allotted to Telangana state by draw of lots.
Rao born in Velama Community family, being a close friend of Y. S. Rajasekhara Reddy, was appointed as chief Advisor to Government of Andhra Pradesh on Public Affairs in cabinet rank in May 2004. He was elected to the Upper House of the Indian parliament, the Rajya Sabha in April 2008.
He is the chairman of the Advisory Committee on Public Affairs, Public Utilities and Public Welfare Activities.
On April 2, 2014, Rao was indicted by a US grand jury for his role in an international corruption scheme starting June 2006 involving bribery in the approval of mining contract with the Government of Andhra Pradesh. The indictment charges Rao with soliciting and distributing bribes for himself and to leaders of the Andhra Pradesh and Central Governments. The Indian National Congress led the ruling party in both the state and central governments between 2006 and February 2014 (in the state).
- May 2004-March 2008 Advisor to Government of Andhra Pradesh on Public Affairs (Cabinet Rank)
- April 2008 Elected to Rajya Sabha
- August 2008 onwards Member, Committee on Finance.
- November 28, 2010 Submitted his Resignation as advisor to Govt
- Currently campaigning for Congress (I) .
- The Hindu : Front Page : YSR’s adviser meets Sonia Gandhi
- "Draw of lots decides Rajya Sabha members for Telangana, Andhra". The Hindu. 30 May 2014. Retrieved 13 July 2014.
- "U.S. Indicts Ukrainian Tycoon Dmytro Firtash Over Alleged Bribery Scheme". Wall Street Journal. Apr 2, 2014.
- Member's Web Site
|This article about an Indian National Congress politician is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This article about a Andhra Pradesh politician is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|