K. V. Thomas
|K. V. Thomas
28 May 2009
10 May 1946 |
Kumbalangi, Kochi, India
|Political party||Indian National Congress|
|Children||2 sons and 1 daughter|
|Father||K. D. Varkey|
|Alma mater||Sacred Heart College, Thevara|
|As of 29 May, 2009
Kuruppasserry Varkey Thomas (born 10 May 1946), commonly known as K. V. Thomas, is an Indian politician from Kumbalangi in Ernakulam district, Kerala, India. He currently represents the Ernakulam Constituency of the 16th Lok Sabha. He was the Minister of State in the Ministry of Agriculture and Minister of State in the Ministry of Consumer Affairs, Food and Public Distribution, 2nd UPA Government; a member of the Indian Parliament; and a member of All India Congress Committee (since 1984).
K. V. Thomas was born to K. D. Varkey and Rose Varkey on 10 May 1946. He has two elder brothers, Dr. K. V. Peter and K. V. Joseph. He is married to Sherly Thomas. They have a daughter and two sons.
Thomas was a member of 12th Kerala Legislative Assembly representing the Ernakulam assembly constituency while contesting in the Indian general election, 2009. He served as the Minister for Excise and Tourism and Minister for Tourism and Fisheries between 2001 and 2004 in Government of Kerala. Thomas was a member of Lok Sabha from 1984 to 1996. During his long political career he held several positions like President, 7th Ward Congress Committee (1970–75); Convener, Block Youth Congress, Palluruthy (1971–80); General Secretary. Cochin Taluk INTUC (1971–76), Kerala INTUC (1986–91), DCC Ernakulam (1978–86); Treasurer, KPCC (1991–96); President of Ernakulam District Congress (I) Committee; Member of KPCC; Member of Kerala State Election Congress (I) Committee; Organising Secretary & General Secretary of INTUC (Kerala); AICC Observer to Tamil Nadu, Karnataka, Andhra Pradesh and Lakshadweep. He is also a member of General Council of INTUC (trade union wing of the Indian National Congress) since 1976. He served as the chairman of PAC (Public Accounts Committee) for three years from 2014 to 2017.
Thomas holds a MSc degree in Chemistry and was a Professor of Chemistry for a period of 33 years at Sacred Heart College, Thevara. He served as the Head of the Department (Chemistry) from 1 June 1999 to 31 May 2001.
Other positions that Thomas held includes Member of Defence Consultative Committee; Member of Civil Aviation and Tourism Consultative Committee; Court Member of Jawaharlal Nehru University, New Delhi and Pondicherry University; Director Board Member of Marine Products Export Development Authority; Director of Cochin International Airport Limited; President of All Kerala Ration Dealers Association; Working President of Indian Rare Earth Employees Congress; Chairman of Indira Gandhi Co-operative Hospital, Ernakulam (1994–96), Member of Official Language Committee of the Kerala Legislative Assembly (2004–06).
Thomas is the author of several books. His first book, "Ente Kumbalangi", which is about his native village Kumbalangi, was released on 17, November 2004. Since then he has published five more books.
- Govt. of India Council of Ministers Archived 31 October 2012 at the Wayback Machine.
- Fifteenth Lok Sabha Members' Home Page
- AICC Members from Kerala Archived 14 June 2009 at the Wayback Machine.
- Brief profiles of Ministers of State
- Kerala Legislature - Members
- Thomas Biodata of Mr. K. V. Thomas in Kerala Assembly election data base
- Profile of Prof. K. V. Thomas in Kerala legislative assembly website. Retrieved on 29, May 2009
- Profile Prof. K. V. Thomas in his Election Website. Archived 21 July 2011 at the Wayback Machine. Retrieved on 29, May 2009
- Release the book `Ente Kumbalanghi' written by K. V. Thomas The Hindu. 18 Nov 2004. Retrieved on 29, May 2009
- Books Published by K. V. Thomas Archived 21 May 2009 at the Wayback Machine.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to K. V. Thomas.|
- Prof. K V Thomas's Official Election Website
- Fifteenth Lok Sabha - Prof. K.V.Thomas's Bio profile page
- Prof. K. V. Thomas - A brief biography
|Member of Parliament from Ernakulam
2009 – present