December 2, 1933 |
|Occupation||Lawyer, Social Worker|
Krishnasamy Veeramani (Tamil: கி.வீரமணி) was born on December 2, 1933 in Cuddalore, Cuddalore District, Tamil Nadu. He is referred as Aasiriyar K.Veeramani. He is the Chancellor of Periyar Maniammai University. He is the President of the Dravidar Kazhagam, an Indian organization centered in Tamil Nadu, opposed to the caste system and dedicated to the welfare of socially disadvantaged. He is the third President of the Dravidar Kazhagam and Chancellor of Periyar Maniammai University.
Veeramani was born in a middle-class Mudaliar family in Cuddalore, South Arcot District, Tamil Nadu. He had his primary education at Cuddalore and entered Annamalai University for higher education. He obtained his master's degree in economics in 1956 with a Gold medal for being the top scorer in his class. He received his Bachelor of Law degree from Madras University in 1960. He married his wife Mohana in 1958 and has two sons and two daughters. The fact that Mohana is not from his caste is considered by his followers as a symbol of caste denial. And an additional information is Mrs.Mohana's parents were inter caste marriaged pair (caste denial marriage).
K.Veeramani came into limelight when as a boy of just 10 he was allowed address the gathering in the Justice Party Salem conference in 1944.He was introduced as activist by Annadurai. Apart from one year in which he practiced as a lawyer in Cuddalore, his career has been as a social worker. He began working with Periyar in 1956, and assisted Periyar in editing Viduthalai, the rationalist daily of Dravidar Kazhagam. In 1962 he was made the Executive Editor of Viduthalai and since 1978 has been the Editor. He was active in the social campaigns and agitations launched by Periyar for support of "socially discriminated people", and was incarcerated forty times for his activities. He was jailed under MISA for a year in 1976 for opposing the Emergency. He was again jailed in 1978 for showing Black flags against Indira Gandhi for imposing Emergency while in power. His father C. S. Krishnasamy died while he was in jail.
Alagappa University conferred the Doctor of Law on him (Honoris Causa) on April 4, 2003. Periyar International Inc., (USA) gives an annual award for outstanding contributions to Social Justice, which is named his honor. Mr. V. P. Singh, former Prime Minister of India, was the first recipient of the award. K.Veeramani is an Honorary Associate of Rationalist International.
List of K. Veeramani Awardees for Social Justice
- 1st award to Hon. Vishwanath Pratap Singh, former Prime Minister of India
- 2nd award to Hon. Chandarajit Yadav.
- 3rd award to Sitaram Kesari
- 4th award to Hon. Mayawati, Uttar Pradesh Chief Minister
- 5th award to Moorthy of Singapore.
- 6th award was posthumously presented to Govindaswamy Karuppaiah Mooppanar, founder of Tamil Maanila Congress
- 7th award to Veera Munusamy of Yangoon, Myanmar
- 8th award to Hon. B.S.A. Swamy, Retired Justice of Andhra Pradesh High Court in Hyderabad.
- 9th award to Hon. Dr. Sudarsana Natchiyappan
- 10th award to Hon. Dr. Kalaingar Karunanidhi, former Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- 11th award to Mr Ravivarmakumar, High Court and Supreme Court Attorney,Bengaluru
- 12th award to Mr Chellaperumal, social worker, Kuwait
- 13th award to Mr Ko. Karunanithi, General Secretory, AIOBC.
- Periyar - Official homepage of Periyar
- Dravidar Kazhagam - Official homepage of Dravidar Kazhagam
- Rationalist International