|City of license||North Salt Lake City, Utah|
|Broadcast area||Salt Lake City, Utah|
|First air date||September 22, 1981
July 1, 1998
|Power||50,000 watts day
10,000 watts night
|Former callsigns||KFAM (1981-1998)
|Affiliations||ESPN Radio, Compass Media Networks, Utah Utes, Real Salt Lake|
(Utah Radio Acquisition, LLC)
KALL, "ESPN 700", is an all-sports radio station in the Salt Lake City, Utah area. The listed owner is Utah Radio Acquisitions, LLC. The station's studios are located in Downtown Salt Lake City and its transmitter site is located in Legacy Nature Preserve west of Bountiful.
Program highlights include live play-by-play of University of Utah football and basketball and Real Salt Lake soccer, Mike and Mike in the Morning, The Herd with Colin Cowherd, the daily local show "The Bill & OC Show" and "Dan Patrick". KALL also was one of the first stations to pick up the new Compass Media Networks NFL package.
KALL in Utah was originally founded in 1945 by Mr. and Mrs. George C. Hatch and Mr. and Mrs Robert H. Hinkley. In 1946 the Salt Lake Tribune, owned by the Kearns Corporation, through the efforts of John F. Fitzpatrick and Tribune's president Thomas F. Kearns purchased a fifty percent interest in the radio station. This interest was in turn sold in 1954 to permit the Kearns-Tribune Corporation to apply for a Channel 2 Television license in a fifty-fifty partnership.
KALL signed on the air September 22, 1981 as KFAM. KFAM broadcast a beautiful music format in AM stereo. In 1997, WLW owner Jacor purchased KFAM, which broadcast with 50,000 watts during the day and 10,000 watts at night in order to protect WLW. They changed the call letters to KWLW and even began to air programming such as Dale Sommers "The Truckin' Bozo" (also heard on WLW) on the station. The station aired a classic country format until 2003, when Clear Channel Communications moved the KALL letters and programming from 910 AM.
Aside from regular ESPN programming, Utah Utes women's basketball (Nov-Feb), Compass Media Football (Sept-Dec), Real Salt Lake matches (Mar-Oct), and live ESPN Radio sporting events (NBA, MLB, NFL) air regularly on the station.
- "KFAM First Air Date" (PDF). Broadcasting/Cablecasting Yearbook 1984. 1984. pp. B–261. Retrieved November 3, 2011.
- http://www.oldradio.com/archives/stations/slc-hist.htm, Retrieved on 2008/05/20.
- http://www.truckweb.com/twradio.htm, Retrieved on 2008/05/20.
- Lynn Arave, "Radio dial: A Utah radio first: separate deals on content, frequency", Deseret News, February 28, 2003. Accessed August 20, 2015
- "Deals," Broadcasting & Cable, February 27, 2006.
- http://www.24saltlake.com/media/espn-700-oc-sean-oconnell-keith-stubbs/, Retrieved on 2015/03/10.
- Official website
- Query the FCC's AM station database for KALL
- Radio-Locator Information on KALL
- Query Nielsen Audio's AM station database for KALL