|Past members||Jin Akanishi
KAT-TUN (カトゥーン Katūn?) is a Japanese boy band formed by Johnny & Associates (Johnny's) in 2001. The group's name was originally an acronym based on the first letter of each member's family name: Kazuya Kamenashi, Jin Akanishi, Junnosuke Taguchi, Koki Tanaka, Tatsuya Ueda, and Yuichi Nakamaru. Their debut on March 22, 2006 was marked by a tripartite release of a CD single, album and music DVD on their exclusive record label J-One Records. Since then, all of their single, album and music DVD releases have debuted at number one on the Oricon music and DVD charts.
In 2010 Akanishi left the group to start a solo career, making the group's acronym then come from KAmenashi, Taguchi, Tanaka, Ueda, and Nakamaru, and the group toured with five members. In 2013, Tanaka's contract was terminated for several violations, leaving KAT-TUN as a four-man ensemble, and Tatsuya Ueda took the T to keep the acronym .
- 1 History
- 1.1 2001–2005: Formation and pre-debut activities
- 1.2 2006: Debut and "Real Face"
- 1.3 2007: Cartoon KAT-TUN II You
- 1.4 2008: Queen of Pirates
- 1.5 2010: International activities, Akanishi's departure and No More Pain
- 1.6 2011: 5th Anniversary
- 1.7 2012: Chain
- 1.8 2013: Tanaka Koki's departure
- 1.9 2014: Come Here
- 1.10 2015: Present
- 2 Current members
- 3 Discography
- 4 Other activities
- 5 Awards
- 6 References
- 7 External links
2001–2005: Formation and pre-debut activities
Before becoming KAT-TUN, each member belonged to different trainee units within Johnny & Associates. In 2001, eight members were chosen to become a temporary dancing unit in order to support Koichi Domoto in the NHK music program, Pop Jam. The eight members were switched around before it officially became KAT-TUN, with the current four members plus Jin Akanishi and Kōki Tanaka. Although the formation was only meant to be a temporary support unit, KAT-TUN gained a great deal of attention and became a solid unit.
In 2002, in response to many requests, KAT-TUN held their first concert called Okyakusama wa Kamisama - Concert 55man Nin Ai no Request ni Kotaete!! (お客様は神サマーConcert 55万人愛のリクエストに応えて!!?), for which 550,000 people tried to get tickets. That same year, they performed eleven shows in a single day. This is the current record in Japan for the most performances in one day. Since then, KAT-TUN has held concerts in Japan almost every season.
In 2003-2004, their popularity rose to that of a debuted group, to the point where they performed on Music Station multiple times before debuting. In 2005, KAT-TUN released their first major DVD, KAT-TUN Live Kaizokuban (KAT-TUN Live海賊帆 lit. KAT-TUN Live: Pirate Sails?), which topped the Oricon yearly chart for the best-selling DVD. At the 20th Japan Gold Disc Awards, Live Kaizokuban placed on the Music Video Of The Year list.
2006: Debut and "Real Face"
On March 22, KAT-TUN released their debut single "Real Face", accompanied by an album, Best of KAT-TUN and a DVD Real Face Film. These were released on their own label J-One Records. The group also went on a nationwide tour, Live of KAT-TUN "Real Face", in support of the album. Within the first week, Best of KAT-TUN, "Real Face" and Real Face Film topped all three Oricon weekly charts by selling 556,548 copies, 754,234 copies and 374,202 copies respectively. They became the second artists to do so, the first being Ayumi Hamasaki. With these numbers, KAT-TUN holds the record for the highest weekly single debut sales (previously held by Arashi with their debut single "Arashi" of 557,000 copies sold in 1999). In addition, "Real Face" topped the Oricon charts for three weeks straight, becoming the first debut single to do so in Japan in 8 years 8 months since KinKi Kids' debut single "Garasu no Shōnen." The single sold over a million copies in nine weeks, making "Real Face" the highest selling single for the year 2006.
In March 2006, KAT-TUN became the first group to hold their own performances in Japan's most popular stadium, Tokyo Dome, before debuting. They performed to 110,000 people over two days and about 630,000 people in total during the tour. About three months after releasing "Real Face", KAT-TUN released their second single, "Signal", on July 19. It topped the Oricon weekly chart by exceeding 400,000 in sales.
On October 12, member Akanishi announced a hiatus from the group in order to study linguistics abroad in the United States, leaving KAT-TUN as a five-member group for six months. The remaining members continued activities by releasing their third single, "Bokura no Machi de" as the theme song to members Kamenashi and Tanaka's drama, Tatta Hitotsu no Koi and their second album, Cartoon KAT-TUN II You on December 7.
KAT-TUN is the first group in Japan to have all three singles from debut to exceed 500,000 in yearly sales, taking first, fifth and thirteenth place on the Oricon yearly singles chart.
2007: Cartoon KAT-TUN II You
Under the same name as their second album, KAT-TUN started their second nationwide tour, Tour 2007 Cartoon KAT-TUN II You, still without Akanishi, on April 3. The next day, KAT-TUN began to host their own variety show Cartoon KAT-TUN, which aired every Wednesday from 11:55 p.m. to 12:26 a.m.
Akanishi returned to Japan on April 19 and officially resumed work activities on April 20. Akanishi joined the rest of KAT-TUN during their tour on April 21 in Sendai for the encore, marking his official return to KAT-TUN.
On June 6, KAT-TUN released their fourth single, "Yorokobi no Uta", as the theme song to Tanaka's drama, Tokkyu Tanaka 3 Go. The single hit number one on the weekly chart.
On November 21, they simultaneously released their fifth single, "Keep the Faith", as the theme song to members Akanishi and Taguchi's drama, Yukan Club, and the DVD to their Tokyo Dome Live of KAT-TUN "Real Face" concert. The DVD marked their fifth consecutive release topping the Oricon musical DVD chart, and set the opening week record for the year. KAT-TUN took the annual number one position on the Oricon musical DVD charts for the third time in a row with the release.
After KinKi Kids, KAT-TUN is the second artist to have all singles since debut to exceed 300,000 in sales during their first week.
2008: Queen of Pirates
KAT-TUN released their seventh single "Don't U Ever Stop" on May 14, which topped the weekly Oricon chart. On May 15, during the MC segment promoting "Don't U Ever Stop" on Music Station, Kamenashi announced that two shows had been added to their Tokyo Dome tourdates, resulting in a total of four consecutive days at the Dome. This marked a historic event in the Dome's history, as KAT-TUN became the first Japanese artist to hold four consecutive days at the stadium since it opened in 1988. Other Japanese artists, such as SMAP, X Japan and Ayumi Hamasaki have had three consecutive days at the Dome. The Rolling Stones and Michael Jackson have played multiple days at the Dome, but they were not consecutive.
On June 4, KAT-TUN released their third album, KAT-TUN III: Queen of Pirates.
On December 3, KAT-TUN released "White X'mas", their first Christmas single. The release consisted of a limited and regular edition, but both would only be sold during the holiday season. The single, with no drama tie-in and no B-side, still sold moderately well with more than 250,000 copies sold in its first week.
On December 21, it was announced that KAT-TUN would release a new single "One Drop" as a tie-in theme song to Kamenashi's new drama, Kami no Shizuku, just two months after their "White X'mas" single. The release consisted of three versions: Limited Edition w/DVD, Regular Edition (First Press) and a Regular Edition.
2010: International activities, Akanishi's departure and No More Pain
On February 10, KAT-TUN released their first single since March 2009, which was used for Kamenashi's live-action drama adaptation of Tomoko Hayakawa's manga series Yamato Nadeshiko Shichi Henge, which premiered January 15 on TBS. The single, "Love Yourself (Kimi ga Kirai na Kimi ga Suki)", debuted at number one on the Oricon weekly singles chart, resulting in KAT-TUN's eleventh consecutive number one single since their debut. It became KAT-TUN's first single to sell more than 350,000 copies in its first week since the May 2008 release of their single "Don't U Ever Stop", which sold more than 381,000 copies in its first week.
On March 24, Johnny & Associates announced that KAT-TUN will go on their first Asia concert tour as a five-member group while Akanishi will hold his own solo concerts in The United States, making him the first Johnny's artist to perform solo in the United States. KAT-TUN is set to have their Asia Tour from early May to late August and although the majority of the concerts will be held in Japan, KAT-TUN will also be heading to Bangkok on July 31, Seoul from August 6 to 7, and Taipei from August 27 to 28; other sources say that a Hawaii concert is also being considered. Due to his absence from KAT-TUN's Asia concert tour and single promotions, Akanishi did not participate in the recording of KAT-TUN's twelfth single "Going!" set for release on May 12. Due to the political unrest in Thailand, Johnny & Associates announced on May 15 that KAT-TUN's concert in Bangkok would be indefinitely postponed.
KAT-TUN released their first 2010 album, No More Pain, on June 16 in two versions: a limited and regular edition that both include solo songs by each member. The limited edition contains thirteen songs and a bonus DVD with the PVs and making-of's the album's songs while the regular edition contains a bonus track.
Johnny & Associates announced on July 17 that Akanishi would leave the group in late 2010 to pursue a solo career while the rest of the members would continue to work as a five-member group. On July 21, Akanishi himself confirmed through the official Johnny's mobile site, Johnny's Web, that he would leave KAT-TUN to focus on his solo career, although he had not appeared on any event to his fans until October.
KAT-TUN continues as a group of five. On August 28, the last day of their World Big Tour 2010, KAT-TUN revealed about their 2011 tour plan to celebrate their fifth anniversary by performing at industrial complexes in five cities in Japan and expanding its overseas tour to five different countries including Korea, Taiwan, Thailand, China, and Hawaii. The Hawaii concert would make them the first Johnny artist to hold a concert in Hawaii. The World Big Tour is where former member Tanaka Koki gave the name "hyphens" to the fans, saying that the fans unite KAT-TUN together.
On October 13, KAT-TUN announced the release of their new single, "Change Ur World" which is KAT-TUN's 13th single and the first single after Akanishi's official departure, was released on November 17. The single debuted at number one on the Oricon weekly singles chart for selling 230,829 copies, resulting in KAT-TUN's thirteenth consecutive number one single since their debut plus all of their 13 singles sold over 200,000 copies in the first week.
On December 29, KAT-TUN released KAT-TUN -NO MORE PAIИ- WORLD TOUR 2010 DVD, featuring their last day in Japan leg of their successful World Big Tour 2010 at Kyocera Dome and more concert footages from their Korea and Taiwan legs.
2011: 5th Anniversary
The group announced a release of their 14th single on 2010's Christmas Eve, "Ultimate Wheels" on February 2, 2011 along with a tie-in CM of Suzuki Solio car that the group endorsed. On January 6, KAT-TUN announced its plan of KAT-TUN Live Tour 2011 during May to October. The tour includes the 5 big dome tour at Sapporo Dome, Tokyo Dome, Nagoya Dome, Yahoo Dome in Fukuoka, and Kyocera Dome in Osaka and a special live event in Kawasaki on July 17–19. KAT-TUN will become the fourth Johnny group to be able to conquer the 5 big domes in Japan after SMAP, Kinki Kids and Arashi. After October, the group will start their Asia Tour that includes Thailand, Taiwan, and Korea. "Ultimate Wheels" became their 14th straight No.1 single since their debut. The total number of copies sold in the first week was over 180,000 copies, reported by Oricon. Early March, KAT-TUN announced three new songs in three days, including "Perfect" for Kamenashi's new Aoki TV commercial, "White" for a Sofina commercial, and "Diamond" as the theme song of NTV telecasts of Yomiuri Giants baseball games.
It was announced on March 29 that Johnny’s Company would start a new charity project called Marching J, a fundraising project for the Tohoku Earthquake victims. The first part of the project started as an event held from April 1 through April 3. From the company, SMAP, Tokio, Kinki Kids, V6, Arashi, Tackey and Tsubasa, NEWS, Kanjani8, KAT-TUN, Hey! Say! JUMP and some Johnny’s Juniors participated in this first event. The first event will be held at Tokyo, in front of the first Yoyogi gymnasium. Groups took turns according to their schedule and will have a talk session in front of the fans, also calling out for donations for the earthquake victims. And due to this disaster, all the planned events to celebrate KAT-TUN's 5th debut anniversary were cancelled.
On May 18, KAT-TUN's 15th single "White" was released with "Perfect" as its coupling song. By this time, they also announced another two new songs, "Cosmic Child" for a Wing TV commercial, and "Run For You" for a New Suzuki Solio commercial. On May 29, KAT-TUN with all its five members joined another Marching J project, "Johnny's Charity Baseball Tournament" with other Johnny artists and juniors at Tokyo Dome, in which the ticket sales would be donated for the Japan Earthquake and Tsunami victims.
It was announced in mid-June that members Kazuya Kamenashi, Koki Tanaka and Yuichi Nakamaru will star in this year's Dream Boy musicals as the leads, shows will commence from September 3 to 25. This year's shows will commemorate the 100th anniversary of the venue Imperial Garden Theater.
On September 8, 2011, it was confirmed that KAT-TUN will host a new TV show titled KAT-TUN no Zettai Manetaku Naru TV, their first show since Cartoon KAT-TUN ended in March 2010. The new show is scheduled to begin airing on October 18 on NTV. During the broadcast of the first episode, it was revealed that the show will only air for a limited time until the end of December 2011 with a total of 10 episodes. On September 30, 2011, KAT-TUN announced their 17th single "Birth" as the soundtrack to Kamenashi Kazuya's drama "Youkai Ningen Bem" would have been released on November 30."Birth"became their 17th straight No.1 single on the Oricon's weekly chart since their debut.
KAT-TUN began their new year with an extreme special TV show titled KAT-TUN no Sekaiichi Dame Yoru Ni, a one-off show broadcast on the night of Jan 1 on TBS. A few weeks later they announced the release of their 6th album titled 'CHAIN', scheduled for releasing on Feb 22. On Jan 13, KAT-TUN endorsed the mobile game site "entag!" which used KAT-TUN's album track "SMILE FOR YOU" as a CM song and the first-ever KAT-TUN animation, "Ai wa KAT-TUN", voiced by KAT-TUN themselves, was launched on entag! site for a limited period. On Feb 11, they will kick off their nationwide tour in 2 years "KAT-TUN LIVE TOUR 2012 CHAIN". This tour will cover most number of cities they've ever done, 12 cities including Sendai. The tour will start in Niigata and will end in Sendai. They will become the first Johnnys group to perform in the affected areas after the Earthquake and Tsunami disaster. Music Station presented on Jan 13 with a special report for the 'Most Powerful Group BEST 20' which listed the Top 20 most powerful groups of all-time in terms of physical single and album sales, KAT-TUN was listed at #16 with their five year debut, 17 singles and 5 albums, together they have sold over 8,450,000 records. Music Station hints to this ranking included the debut single 'Real Face' which became 2006’s #1 selling single and how they managed to hold 8 consecutive concert at Tokyo Dome. Among the groups in Top 20, KAT-TUN is apparently the newest group on the list.
KAT-TUN's 6th studio album, "CHAIN", reached No.1 on Oricon album ranking on March 5, making them the first male artist in history to have six consecutive No.1 albums eversince the debut. KAT-TUN broke the record for the first time in 24 years and 10 months. On March 8, it was announced that a second episode of KAT-TUN no Sekaiichi Dame Yoru Ni will be aired on April 3.
Official confirmations for the upcoming 2012 shows for Johnny's long-running Dream Boys musicals was released, and once again member Kamenashi reprises his role as the main lead for the musical. According to confirmation, the shows will begin in September. On April 20–22, KAT-TUN performed at Tokyo Dome as parts of their LIVE TOUR 2012 CHAIN tour. According to news reports, KAT-TUN's original idea "Flash-Tree" spotlights was introduced for the first time in Johnny and also Tokyo Dome's 25m moving stage was the longest in Johnny's history.
On June 27, KAT-TUN released its 18th single To The Limit, which was used as a tie-up song for Suzuki Solio Bandit CM. On June 29 Music Station reported that KAT-TUN ranked as No.10 best-selling Heisei era's idol with the total sales of 6,661,293 copies from 17 singles. In early August it was announced that KAT-TUN's Sekaiichi Dame Yoru Ni TV special will be turned into a regular show due to the success of the previous 2 special episodes. The regular show was renamed KAT-TUN Sekaiichi dame na yoru! and began airing on August 24 on TBS.
KAT-TUN's 19th single Fumetsu no Scrum which was used as the themesong for Kanjani8 member Yasuda Shota's drama Dragon Seinendan, was released on September 12 and sold around 157,000 copies within its first week of release, this gives KAT-TUN their 19th consecutive #1 single since their debut in 2006. In November, KAT-TUN achieved their 9th consecutive no.1 music-DVD, and 8th no.1 overall DVD with their live DVD, "KAT-TUN LIVE TOUR 2012 CHAIN TOKYO DOME." The latter achievement puts them at 3rd place among male groups who have done the most no.1 overall DVDs in history after B'z and Mr.Children.
2013: Tanaka Koki's departure
KAT-TUN announced their 20th single EXPOSE on February 6 as the tie-up song for new Suzuki SOLIO BANDIT CM and sold 155,000 copies in first weeks. With this single, their number of consecutive singles topping the chart has reached 20, as they’ve been topping the chart since their debut single “Real Face”. KAT-TUN is the second artist to top the single chart for 20 consecutive singles since the debut. It was only achieved by their senior KinKi Kids 8 years and a month ago with “Anniversary”.
"Face To Face" was the 21st single and the title track is the theme song for member Kamenashi Kazuya’s movie Ore Ore (It’s Me, It’s Me) which is scheduled to open in theaters on 25 May 2013. This will mark the first time for the group to sing the theme song for a movie. The single topped the Oricon singles chart, reportedly selling 131,000 copies in first weeks. With this single, their number of consecutive singles topping the chart has reached 21.
In October 2013, it was announced that Koki Tanaka had been removed from the band and the talent agency for having violated his contract, leaving KAT-TUN as a four-man ensemble. On October 12, just a few days after Tanaka officially left the group and the company, it was announced that KAT-TUN with the remaining members will be holding their first ever countdown concert on December 30 & 31 at Kyocera dome Osaka. And a mini album titled "楔 -kusabi-" is also planned to be released in November 27.
Kusabi (楔-kusabi-?, "Wedge") was the first mini album and seventh original album released on November 27, 2013 under the label J-One Records. The title track "Kusabi" was used as the theme song for the drama Henshin Interviewer no Yūutsu starring KAT-TUN member Yuichi Nakamaru and actress Fumino Kimura, while "Gimme Luv" was used in a Suzuki Solio Bandit television commercial."Kusabi" debuted at the number one spot top the Oricon weekly album chart, selling approximately 168,000 copies in its first week of release. The album is KAT-TUN's seventh consecutive album to achieve number one, putting them in a tie with singer Hikaru Utada for most consecutive album number ones in Oricon chart history.
2014: Come Here
To start off a new year and a new KAT-TUN, the band held a fan meeting called shin-shun-katsu-mode(新春勝詣) held at the Yokohama Arena from January 2 to the 4th. They got to spend time with the fans (aka hyphens) as the current four member group. For this fan meeting, for the first time, each member produced their own goods. Kamenashi produced post cards, Taguchi produced a note pad, Ueda produced tissues, and Nakamaru produced key chains.
"In Fact" was their 22nd single released on June 04, 2014 under the label J-One Records. The title track "In Fact" the main theme song for the TV drama series "First Class" starring Yuichi Nakamaru, which premieres April 19. In Fact debuted at the number one spot top the Oricon weekly single chart, selling over 146,000 copies in its first week of release. With this, KAT-TUN achieved their 22nd consecutive No.1 with their 22nd single. They are currently behind Kinki Kids who are with 33 consecutive No.1 singles since debut.
In May, KAT-TUN announced a new national tour KAT-TUN LIVE TOUR 2014 come Here and their new album "come Here" to be released on June 25. The new tour will consist of 23 shows in 10 cities and is expected to mobilize 300,000 audiences and will kick off at Tokyo International Forum, where they held their first-ever solo concert in 2002 and will conclude the tour as Countdown Live 2014 at Kyocera Dome Osaka.
On June 25, "come Here" album was released and KAT-TUN became the first artist in history to have 8 consecutive No.1 albums since debut according to Oricon.
Dead Or Alive, the 23rd single was released on January 21, 2015 and it debuted at the number one spot top the Oricon weekly single chart, selling over 192,000 copies in its first week of release. With this, KAT-TUN achieved their 23rd consecutive No.1 with their 23rd single. They are currently behind Kinki Kids who are with 34 consecutive No.1 singles since debut.
- Kazuya KAmenashi (亀梨 和也 Kamenashi Kazuya?) (born February 23, 1986)
- Junnosuke Taguchi (田口 淳之介 Taguchi Junnosuke?) (born November 29, 1985)
- Tatsuya Ueda (上田 竜也 Ueda Tatsuya?) (born October 4, 1983)
- Yuichi Nakamaru (中丸 雄一 Nakamaru Yuichi?) (born September 4, 1983)
- Jin Akanishi (赤西 仁 Akanishi Jin?) (born July 4, 1984)
- Koki Tanaka (田中 聖 Tanaka Kōki?) (born November 5, 1985)
- 2003: Okyakusama wa Kamisama - Concert 55 Man Nin Ai no Request ni Kotaete!!
- 2005: KAT-TUN Live Kaizokuban
- 2006: Real Face Film
- 2006: Dream Boys
- 2007: Live of KAT-TUN "Real Face"
- 2007: Tour 2007 Cartoon KAT-TUN II You
- 2008: KAT-TUN Live Tour 2008: Queen Of Pirates
- 2009: KAT-TUN Live: Break the Records
- 2010: KAT-TUN-No More Pain-World Tour 2010
- 2012: KAT-TUN Live Tour 2012 Chain at Tokyo Dome
- 2014: Countdown Live 2013 KAT-TUN
- 2015: KAT-TUN LIVE TOUR 2014 come Here
The above releases only include group activities. For solo releases, please visit individual members' pages. Note that KAT-TUN has also been prominently featured in other Johnny's groups' concerts and musical releases as well (such as Shock Digest and Dream Boy).
KAT-TUN's first official photobook, entitled KAT-TUN 1st in New York (photographer Harumi Yoshimura) was published in December 2003 by Wani Books.
On August 31, 2009, KAT-TUN released their second official photobook entitled KAT-TUN Live Document Photobook: Break the Records, which documents their rehearsals, behind-the-scenes photos and concert photos; it also includes exclusive interviews with the members.
KAT-TUN had regularly appeared on NHK's Johnny's Jr. show The Shōnen Club and became the regular hosts and leaders of the show until 2006 when they made their official debut. From 2005 to January 2007, KAT-TUN was a regular participant in the variety show Utawara Hot Hit 10 with Jun Matsumoto. From October 8, 2006, members Tanaka Koki & Nakamaru Yuichi hosted the show YouTachi! YOUたち! together, until the show ended on September 30, 2007.
From April 4, 2007 to March 24, 2010, KAT-TUN hosted their own talk show Cartoon KAT-TUN every Wednesday. Their second TV show KAT-TUN no Zettai Manetaku Naru TV began on October 18, 2011, on NTV. During the broadcast of the first episode, it was revealed that the show will only have 10 episodes in total, and will air till the end of December 2011.
The group also aired a one-off TV special titled KAT-TUN no Sekaiichi Dame Yoru Ni that was aired on the night of January 1, 2012 on TBS. On March 8, it was confirmed that a second episode of the special will broadcast on April 3. In August 10 it was confirmed that the special will be turned into a regular TV show and was renamed KAT-TUN Sekaiichi dame na yoru!, the show began airing on August 24 on TBS.
As well as hosting their group show, some of the individual members are also hosts and regulars on other shows, member Kazuya Kamenashi is a regular host on the late-night sports news show Going! Sports&News and the baseball show Dramatic Game 1844 both airing on NTV. While member Koki Tanaka is a regular on Bakushou Dai Nippon AKAN Keisatsu airing on Fuji TV, he appears on the show fortnightly. While member Yuichi Nakamaru is a regular on Shuuichi airing on NTV, and Tatsuya Ueda is a regular on Kyoukasho ni Nosetai! airing on TBS.
The group has had three different radio shows, each hosted by different members and all have aired for several years.
Members Koki Tanaka and Junnosuke Taguchi host KAT-TUN Style together every week from Monday to Thursday, 11:50pm - 12am. Yuichi Nakamaru and Tatsuya Ueda host R-One KAT-TUN every Tuesday from 12am - 12:30am.
Kazuya Kamenashi had his own radio show called Kamenashi Kazuya - Kase by Kase, and was aired every Friday from 11:40pm - 12am; it ended on September 20. He has a new radio show called Kamenashi Kazuya - Hang Out and airs every Saturday from 10:20am – 10:50am.
Taguchi Junnosuke has his own radio show called "Tag-tune driving" also Taguchi has a radio show with his band member Nakamaru Yuichi . the show is called "Gatsun"
Since 2004, member Kazuya Kamenashi has played the lead role in Dream Boys musicals consecutively each year, after senior Hideaki Takizawa handed down the role to Kamenashi. Kamenashi and fellow KAT-TUN member Koki Tanaka paired up to play the lead roles for the shows held in 2007 and 2008. The pair collaborated once again as the leads for the 2011 shows alongside fellow KAT-TUN member Yuichi Nakamaru. The 2012 shows for the musical began in September, and once again Kamenashi reprised his role as the lead for the musical.
Since their first concert in 2002, granted after overwhelming amounts of fan requests to Johnny's, KAT-TUN regularly holds concerts during almost every season of the year in Japan. This has helped them gain more popularity with their fans. It was considered remarkable for a Johnny's group which had not yet officially debuted to be able to hold its own concerts.
KAT-TUN was the first Japanese artist to perform for four days in a row at Tokyo Dome during their Queen of Pirates tour. The following year, they broke their own record becoming the first artists ever to perform for eight consecutive days at Tokyo Dome during their Break The Records: By You & For You 2009 tour. Now, Johnny & Associates submitted this new record to Guinness Book of World Records for KAT-TUN to be recognized as the Japanese boy band who broke the records in Tokyo Dome performances.
The group (excluding Jin Akanishi) held their biggest ever concert tour in 2010 titled KAT-TUN -NO MORE PAIИ- WORLD TOUR 2010 which consisted of concerts in many major cities across Japan. The tour also included concerts held in Taiwan and Korea; the first time the group has ever toured outside Japan for their official concerts. Although during their pre-debut years, KAT-TUN had on several occasions toured overseas with their senior groups, while they were still Johnny Jrs.
Their nationwide tour for 2012 titled KAT-TUN LIVE TOUR 2012 CHAIN began in Nagiita on Feb 11, they toured 12 cities across Japan including Sendai; which was one of the worst affected areas by the Tohoku earthquake & tsunami disaster back in March 2011.
Since 2010, member Kazuya Kamenashi endorses Panasonic's Lamdash shaver and DOLTZ electric toothbrush, and AOKI 3D slim suits. Kamenashi also endorses KIRIN's 'Gogo no Kocha' tea since March 2012, and is endorsing SOURS Gummies since early 2013.
Since early 2011, the group together has endorsed Suzuki's 'SOLIO' car, and has sung commercial theme songs for Sofina and Wing products. The group are also currently endorsing the mobile game site entag!.
In July, 2010, the group held the Summer premium event which was in general a fan meeting. It was their very first fan meeting since the debut of KAT-TUN. They also did a fan meeting at the end of 2014 . it was called katsumode and in summer 2015 they are helding a fan meeting called kiss kiss kiss
- "Johnny to remove Akanishi from KAT-TUN". Tokyograph. 2010-07-16. Retrieved 2010-07-29.
- "ナタリー - KAT-TUN田中聖、事務所契約解除でグループ脱退". Natalie.mu. 2013-10-09. Retrieved 2013-10-09.
- Greenburg, Adam. "KAT-TUN: Biography". Allmusic. Retrieved 2010-04-18.
- "Okyakusama wa Kamisama - Concert 55man nin Ai no request ni kotaete!!". CDJapan. Retrieved 2010-04-18.
- "The 20th Japan Gold Disc Award 2006". RIAJ. Retrieved 2010-04-18.
- "KAT-TUN、3冠達成！シングル、アルバム、DVD、同時制覇！" (in Japanese). Oricon. Retrieved 2010-04-18.
- "KAT-TUN 注目のアーティスト遂にデビュー！" (in Japanese). Oricon. Retrieved 2010-04-18.
- "KAT-TUN、00年代デビュー・アーティスト初の快挙達成！" (in Japanese). Oricon. 2006-04-10. Retrieved 2010-04-18.
- Oricon Ranking 2006 2006. Retrieved November 10, 2009. (Japanese)
- "KAT-TUN's Jin Akanishi takes break from KAT-TUN; goes to America for English studies".
- "KAT-TUN's Jin Akanishi back in Japan".
- Tokyograph: Akanishi Back In Japan April 19, 2007. Retrieved December 18, 2007.
- Oricon Style: KAT-TUN、新曲で今年の初動最高記録達成 November 27, 2007. Retrieved December 23, 2007. (Japanese)
- Tokyograph: KAT-TUN sets 2007 record, L'Arc returns to top November 6, 2007. Retrieved December 23, 2007.
- Johnny's Net: KAT-TUN Discography December 21, 2007. Retrieved December 23, 2007. (Japanese)
- 2008年02月第3週のシングルランキング情報 (in Japanese). Oricon. Retrieved 2010-04-18.
- "KAT-TUN takes over Tokyo Dome for a week". Tokyograph. 2009-01-23. Retrieved 2010-04-18.
- "Kazuya Kamenashi gets lead role in new TBS winter drama for 2010".
- "KAT-TUN's 11th consecutive number one single".
- "KAT-TUN tops the Oricon weekly charts with their 11th consecutive number one single".
- "KAT-TUN 2010 World Tour".
- "Jin Akanishi to go to L.A while the rest of the members go on an Asia Tour".
- "Next KAT-TUN single to lack Akanishi". Tokyograph. 2010-04-06. Retrieved 2010-04-18.
- "KAT-TUN cancels Bangkok concert". Tokyograph. 2010-05-15. Retrieved 2010-05-16.
- "No More Pain [w/ DVD, Limited Edition]". CDJapan. Retrieved 2010-06-23.
- "Akanishi comments on leaving KAT-TUN". Tokyograph. 2010-07-20. Retrieved 2010-07-29.
- "Jin Akanishi aims for simultaneous release in U.S., Japan". Tokyograph. 2010-10-03. Retrieved 2010-10-03.
- "ＫＡＴ－ＴＵＮ上田、脱臼！救急車で搬送, Japan". Sanspo. 2010-08-29. Retrieved 2010-08-30.
- "ＫＡＴ－ＴＵＮ 工業地域でコンサート計画？, Japan". Sponichi Annex. 2010-08-29. Retrieved 2010-08-30.[dead link]
- "ＫＡＴ―ＴＵＮ、来夏にコンビナートライブ計画, Japan" (in Japanese). Yomiuri. 2010-08-29. Retrieved 2010-08-30.
- "Change Ur World Information Page, Japan". Johnny's net. 2010-10-13. Retrieved 2010-10-25.
- "【オリコン】KAT-TUN、デビューから13作連続シングル首位, Japan" (in Japanese). Oricon. 2010-11-23. Retrieved 2010-12-03.
- "KAT-TUN -NO MORE PAIИ- WORLD TOUR 2010 DVD Information, Japan". J-Storm. 2010-12-10. Retrieved 2010-12-11.
- "Ultimate Wheels Information, Japan". Johnny's Net. 2010-12-24. Retrieved 2010-12-25.
- "「ＫＡＴ―ＴＵＮ」史上初のコンビナート公演, Japan" (in Japanese). Sponichi Annex. 2011-01-06. Retrieved 2011-01-15.
- "ＫＡＴ―ＴＵＮランド！７月川崎に出現, Japan" (in Japanese). Yomiuri. 2011-01-06. Retrieved 2011-01-15.
- "ＫＡＴ‐ＴＵＮ国内初！コンビナートライブ, Japan" (in Japanesel). Daily Sports Online. 2011-01-06. Retrieved 2011-01-15.
- "ＫＡＴ－ＴＵＮ初野外は京浜工業地帯, Japan" (in Japanese). Nikkan Sports. 2011-01-06. Retrieved 2011-01-15.
- "犬連れＯＫ！ＫＡＴ－ＴＵＮ特大イベント, Japan" (in Japanese). Sanspo. 2011-01-06. Retrieved 2011-01-15.
- "Perfect song information, Japan". Johnny's Net. 2011-03-03. Retrieved 2011-03-03.
- "Perfect song information, Japan". Johnny's Net. 2011-02-18. Retrieved 2011-03-03.
- "Cosmic Child song information, Japan". Johnny's Net. 2011-05-17. Retrieved 2011-05-17.
- "Run For You song information, Japan". Johnny's Net. 2011-02-17. Retrieved 2011-05-17.
- "Johnny's Charty Baseball Tournament Information, Japan". Johnny's Net. 2011-05-28. Retrieved 2011-05-28.
- "KAT-TUN、"勝運"に改名!?". Oricon. 2011-06-14. Retrieved 2011-08-19.
- "KAT-TUN to host new variety show". Tokyograph. 2011-09-08. Retrieved 2011-09-15.
- "Zettai Manetakunaru TV air for 10 episodes". KTnewsinfo. 2011-10-18. Retrieved 2011-11-01.
- "KAT-TUNのテレビCMとオリジナルアニメが限定配信 モバイルゲームサイト"entag!"のサービスが間もなく開始". Famitsu. 2012-01-06. Retrieved 2012-01-12.
- "KAT-TUN LIVE TOUR 2012 CHAIN Information". Johnny's Net. 2011-11-26. Retrieved 2012-01-12.
- "KAT-TUN ranks No.16 Most Powerful Group of all-time". Kat-tunlove. 2012-01-14. Retrieved 2012-02-09.
- "KAT-TUNの最新アルバム首位 男性歌手初のオリジナル1stから6作連続". Oricon. 2012-03-05. Retrieved 2012-03-05.
- "KAT-TUN no Sekaiichi Dame Yoru Ni vol.2". Orisuta. 2012-03-08. Retrieved 2012-03-13.
- "Dream Boys 2012 confirmed". aramatheydidnt. 2012-03-12. Retrieved 2012-03-14.
- "Mezamashi News". 2012-04-23.
- "Info on new KAT-TUN regular TV series". aramatheydidnt. 2012-08-10. Retrieved 2012-09-17.
- "KAT-TUN grabs No.1 spot on Oricon weekly chart". tokyohive. 2012-09-17. Retrieved 2012-09-18.
- "KAT-TUNがB’z・Mr.Childrenの記録に並んだ!!". oricon. 2012-11-28. Retrieved 2013-01-13.
- "KAT-TUN tops Oricon weekly chart for 20 consecutive singles since their debut single". tokyohive.com. 2013-02-12. Retrieved 2013-10-09.
- "田中聖と専属契約解除、ＫＡＴ―ＴＵＮ脱退：芸能：スポーツ報知". Hochi.yomiuri.co.jp. 2013-10-09. Retrieved 2013-10-09.
- "４人のＫＡＴ－ＴＵＮ、田中解雇でラップ封印「穴埋めるのは無理」". Hochi.yomiuri.co.jp. 2013-10-14. Retrieved 2013-10-22.
- "KAT-TUN release mini-album 楔-kusabi-" (in Japanese). Johnny's net. Retrieved 2013-12-03.
- "KAT-TUN新アルバム『楔-kusabi-』の収録曲判明! ジャケも公開" (in Japanese). Tower Records Japan Inc. 2013-11-08. Retrieved 2013-12-03.
- "【オリコン】KAT-TUN、1stアルバムから7作連続首位 宇多田に並ぶ歴代1位タイ" (in Japanese). Oricon. 2013-12-03. Retrieved 2013-12-03.
- "KAT-TUN Concert Goods List".
- "【オリコン】KAT-TUN、史上初の快挙 1stから8作連続アルバム1位".
- KAT-TUN achieve their 23rd consecutive No.1 single
- KAT-TUN Profile
- Akanishi Jin Profile
- "KAT-TUN concerts may qualify for Guinness".
- "KAT-TUN、篠原涼子ら『24時間テレビ』で"絆"を訴える！" (in Japanese). Oricon. Retrieved 2010-04-18.
- "The 21st Japan Gold Disc Award 2007". RIAJ. Retrieved 2010-04-18.
- "The 22nd Japan Gold Disc Award 2008". RIAJ. Retrieved 2010-04-18.
- "有閑倶楽部 ドラマあらすじ TV Life" (in Japanese). TV Life. Retrieved 2010-04-18.
- "The 23rd Japan Gold Disc Award 2009". RIAJ. Retrieved 2010-04-18.
- "The 24th Japan Gold Disc Award 2010". RIAJ. Retrieved 2010-04-18.
- Official website on J-Storm/J-One Records (Japanese)
- Official website on Johnny's Net (Japanese)
- Official website on Johnny's Net（English）
- KAT-TUN at AllMusic