KBS Cool FM
|Broadcast area||Seoul, Incheon, Gyeonggi Province, Chuncheon, Wonju, Hongcheon, Hoengseong, Cheorwon, Cheonan, Asan, Yesan, Hongseong, Dangjin, Seosan, Taean, South Korea (with nationwide popularization propagation broadcast.)|
|Frequency||FM: 89.1 MHz |
FM: 90.9 MHz
|Branding||KBS Cool FM|
|Slogan||Youth Channel Emotional Channel, Popular Music 89.1|
|KBS Radio 1,|
KBS Radio 2,
KBS Radio 3,
KBS Classic FM
First air date
|1965~1980 (as TBC)|
1980~Present (as KBS 2FM)
Former call signs
|HLCD-FM (FM Radio 1965~1966)|
|AM 639 kHz (Repeater until 2003)|
Call sign meaning
KBS Cool FM
|Class||A, B, C, D, E|
|Power||10,000 watts (Seoul)|
KBS Cool FM (Hangul : KBS 쿨FM)(also known as KBS 2FM Hangul : KBS 제2FM방송) is a 24-hour Hot AC music radio station of the Korean Broadcasting System. It plays mostly older K-pop Music from the 90s compared to KBS Happy FMwhich plays the latest K-pop tracks. Notable shows include Popular Plaza, Volume Up and Kiss the Radio.
TBC Radio Era
- 1965-06-26 : Tongyang Broadcasting Corporation (Hangul: 동양 방송 공사) (Former body of JTBC.) was launched.
- 1965-06-27 : Radio Seoul Broadcasting (Hangul: 라디오 서울 방송) HLCD 89.1 MHz Started broadcasting.
- 1966 : Renamed as TBC-FM. 639 kHz AM Repeater launched.
- 1970 : TBC-FM Started South Korea's First Stereo FM Broadcast.
- 1980-12-01 : TBC-FM forced to be merged into KBS Radio by the special law of Chun Doo-hwan, president of military authorities.
KBS Radio 4 Era
- 1980-12-25 : Relaunched as KBS Radio 4 (Korean : KBS 제4라디오) aired Oldies and Trot. Callsign changed to HLKC-FM.
- 1988-12-24 : KBS Radio 4(Frequency: 89.1Mhz) Started Partial 24-hour Broadcast (Monday~Friday 24-hours Saturday~Sunday 18-hours).
- 1990-05-30 : Transmission power increased (TPO:1 kW ERP:173.5 kW → TPO:10 kW ERP:350 kW)
- 1994-10-01 : 24-hour Broadcast started.
KBS 2FM/KBS Cool FM Era
- 2003-10-10 : Renamed as KBS Cool FM/KBS 2FM (Korean : KBS 쿨FM/KBS 제2FM) aired KPop Music. 639 kHz AM Repeater stopped broadcasting
- 2005-03-03 : KBS Cool FM Opened its studio to the public along with KBS Radio 2.
- 2006 : Started visual radio (BORA) broadcasts on the internet.
- 2010-03-02 : KBS Moved Cool FM's radio transmitter from Mount Namsan to Mount Gwanaksan.
- 2013 : KBS 2FM Celebrated its 33rd anniversary. As part of the anniversary celebration all KBS 2FM programs (excluding Kiss The Radio) are made available nationwide via KBS MUSIC on DMB TV Channel 12B-2 also Visual radio (BORA) broadcasts became accessible by both registered and non-registered KBS website users via Fstream.
Cool FM is available terrestrially in select cities including Seoul, Incheon, Chuncheon, Wonju, Hongcheon, Hoengseong, Cheorwon, Cheonan, Asan, Yesan, Hongseong, Dangjin, Seosan, Taean, Jincheon, Eumseong and Chungju.
|Mt. Gwanaksan||HLKC-FM||FM 89.1 MHz||10 kW||Bisan-dong, Dongan-gu, Anyang-si, Gyeonggi-do (Mt. Gwanak)|
|Seongnam||-||FM 97.7 MHz||200W||Eunhaeng-dong, Jungwon-gu, Seongnam-si, Gyeonggi-do|
|Baengnyeongdo||-||FM 90.9 MHz||100W||Bukpo-ri, Baengnyeong-myeon, Ongjin-gun, Incheon metropolitan city|
DMB Radio(U-KBS Music)
In other areas not reachable terrestrially, Cool FM's programs can be heard via U-KBS' DMB channels.
- Seoul : CH 12B
- Chuncheon : CH 13B
- Daejeon/Cheongju : CH 11B
- Gwangju/Jeonju: CH 12B/CH 8B/CH 7B
- Daegu : CH 7B/CH 9B
- Busan/Ulsan : CH 12B/CH 9B
- Jeju : CH 13B/CH 8B
- Despite being South Korea's No.10 Radio Station 2FM Program Volume Up became the highest-rated radio program in its timeslot across both AM and FM bandwidths in Seoul.
- 대한민국 뉴스, 드라마, 대중음악 라디오 방송국 89.1 메가 사이클 TBC 동양방송 (South Korea's News, Drama, Popular Music Station 89.1 Megacycles TBC Tongyang Broadcasting TBC Era Slogan until 1980)
- 젊은 채널, 감성 채널 2FM (The Youth channel, The Emotional channel 2FM 2003~2014)
- 대중음악 89.1 (Popular Music 89.1 1980~1999 2010~2014)
- Today's Best Music 2FM (2014~Present)
The neutrality of this section is disputed. (December 2014) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
2002 – KBS 2FM advertisement scandal
KBS 2FM From 1980 until 2002 was prohibited to air commercial advertisements but in 2002 commercial advertisements resumed airing on KBS 2FM. The result KBS Local FM (a radio station owned by KBS used to re-transmit KBS 1FM and KBS 2FM) instead carried KBS 1FM programs even though only one KBS 2FM program Good Morning Pops where aired due to that the said programm is prohibited to air advertisements excluding those of KOBACO (Korea Broadcast Advertising Corporation). However Park Myeong-su's Radio Show is aired (including commercials) on local KBS Happy FM stations in Busan, Changwon, Cheongju, Daejeon and Jeju starting April 2016 (and in June 2019 the program is also aired in the Gangwon-do region) this was due to its popularity and despite Happy FM Does not air any commercials in all of its programs then Jung Eun-ji's Gayo Plaza is aired in all Happy FM stations starting September 2016 for the same reasons and Good Morning Pops which was aired on the Local FM stations moved to Local Happy FM stations in February 2017 with this development the show is no longer aired on Local FM stations.
- This was a result of the reformat of KBS Radio 2 back again as a pure popular music radio station in 2013.
- Hong, Grace Danbi (February 19, 2013). "Yoo In Na Becomes Queen of the Radio with #1 Radio Show". enewsWorld. Archived from the original on April 19, 2013. Retrieved February 23, 2013.
- "For Actress Yoo In-na, 'Wobbles' Are Just Part of Finding the Way". The Chosun Ilbo. June 8, 2013. Retrieved June 8, 2013.