|Broadcast area||Fresno area|
|Branding||790 ESPN Radio the Deuce|
|First air date||May 1, 1984 (as KXQR)|
|Power||5,000 watts day|
2,500 watts night
|Callsign meaning||Fresno's Progressive Talk (previous format)|
|Former callsigns||KXTC (1984-1988)|
|Affiliations||Jones Radio Network, ABC Radio , ESPN Radio|
|Owner||Fat Dawgs 7 Broadcasting, LLC|
KFPT (790 AM) is an American radio station broadcasting a Sports radio format. Licensed to Clovis, California, United States, the station serves the Fresno area. The station is currently owned by Fat Dawgs 7 Broadcasting, LLC and features programming from Jones Radio Network, ABC Radio and ESPN Radio.
790 went on the air as KXQR in 1979, six years after receiving its construction permit, which in turn was 15 years after the group had filed for the frequency. Several ownership changes occurred in the years between receiving the permit and signing on. Beginning in 1985, the station aired beautiful music with the call sign KXTC. The call letters were meant to imply "Ecstasy". The station changed its call sign to KOQO on September 28, 1988 and 790 became Spanish-language KOOR in 1998. In July 2005, the call letters to KFPT by CBS Broadcasting, implying "Fresno's Progressive Talk"; during this time, KFPT would become the market's second-most listened-to AM station.
In February 2007, KFPT AM 790 was purchased by Peak Broadcasting from CBS as part of a deal involving other stations including News/Talk KMJ, AM 580. It was then sold to Fat Dawgs 7 Broadcasting. The sale included a non-compete clause to protect Peak's conservative talk station, KMJ. On April 2, 2007, KFPT changed their format from progressive talk to sports, with programming from ESPN Radio.
- "KFPT Facility Record". United States Federal Communications Commission, audio division.
- "KFPT Call Sign History". United States Federal Communications Commission, audio division.
- "The Top 10 whereabouts of former progressive talk stations". ltradio. December 26, 2007. Retrieved May 10, 2017.
- FCC History Cards for KFPT
- Query the FCC's AM station database for KFPT
- Radio-Locator Information on KFPT
- Query Nielsen Audio's AM station database for KFPT
|This article about a radio station in California is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|