|Broadcast area||Oklahoma City Metroplex|
|Slogan||"Your NPR Source"|
|Format||NPR News/Talk/Jazz music/Blues music|
|HAAT||88.7 meters (291 ft)|
|Callsign meaning||OU is the abbreviation for the University of Oklahoma|
|Owner||University of Oklahoma|
KGOU is a National Public Radio member News/Talk/Jazz music/Blues music radio station serving the Oklahoma City area and towns in Pontotoc, Seminole and Grady counties. It is licensed to the Board of Regents of the University of Oklahoma. It is operated by OU's College of Continuing Education (OU Outreach), with studios in Copeland Hall on the OU campus. The staff consists of ten full-time and five part-time employees.
The station operates four full-power satellites: KROU (105.7 FM) in Spencer, KWOU (88.1 FM) in Woodward, KOUA (91.9 FM) in Ada, Oklahoma, and KQOU (89.1 FM) in Clinton, Oklahoma. It also operates translators K276ET (103.1 FM) in Seminole, K250AU (97.9 FM) in Ada, K295BL (106.9 FM) in Chickasha and K286BZ (105.1 FM) in Shawnee.
The Clinton facility was added in December 2017, when Cameron University transferred its license for KCCU-FM to KGOU. The move expands KGOU's listener base to 32 counties, nearly all in Central, Western and Southwestern Oklahoma. The new call sign for the Clinton transmitter is KQOU.
KGOU was originally licensed as a commercial rock music station to the University of Oklahoma in 1970, broadcasting at 106.3 FM. OU applied for a non-commercial Class A license and switched the station's format to NPR news and talk on New Year's Day, 1983. The studios were originally located in Kaufman Hall on the OU campus.
The station's repeater network began more or less out of necessity. KGOU's signal was spotty at best in most of Oklahoma City because it had to protect what is now KTUZ-FM at nearby 106.7. To solve this problem, the university received a license for a repeater station that would better cover the northern suburbs. This station, KROU, officially signed on June 28, 1993. It was the first in a network of repeater stations that cover much of central and western Oklahoma.
KGOU's format is primarily news/talk on weekdays, with jazz, blues, and world music programs on weekends, broadcasting programs from NPR, PRI and other public radio networks alongside locally produced news and music programming.
KGOU renovated space in Copeland Hall on the OU campus in 2006 and moved its broadcasting studios that fall.
|City of license||Facility
|KROU||105.7 MHz||Spencer, Oklahoma||69175||1,600||194.6 m (638 ft)||A||FCC|
|KWOU||88.1 MHz||Woodward, Oklahoma||172867||23,500||224.1 m (735 ft)||C1||FCC|
|KOUA||91.9 MHz||Ada, Oklahoma||173673||1,500||81.9 m (269 ft)||A||FCC|
|KQOU||89.1 MHz||Clinton, Oklahoma||122436||40,000||193 m (633 ft)||C1||FCC|
|K276ET||103.1 MHz||Seminole, Oklahoma||141580||250||59.9 m (197 ft)||D||FCC|
|K250AU||97.9 MHz||Ada, Oklahoma||141599||250||29.9 m (98 ft)||D||FCC|
|K295BL||106.9 MHz||Chickasha, Oklahoma||141689||250||28.5 m (94 ft)||D||FCC|
|K286BZ||105.1 MHz||Shawnee, Oklahoma||141589||140||117 m (384 ft)||D||FCC|
- "KGOU." Accessed December 23, 2017.
- Pryor, Dick. "KGOU adds Clinton transmitter." KGOU. December 6, 2017. Accessed December 23, 2017.
- KGOU station website
- Query the FCC's FM station database for KGOU
- Radio-Locator information on KGOU
- Query Nielsen Audio's FM station database for KGOU
- Query the FCC's FM station database for KROU
- Radio-Locator information on KROU
- Query Nielsen Audio's FM station database for KROU
- Query the FCC's FM station database for KWOU
- Radio-Locator information on KWOU
- Query Nielsen Audio's FM station database for KWOU
- Query the FCC's FM station database for KOUA
- Radio-Locator information on KOUA
- Query Nielsen Audio's FM station database for KOUA
- Query the FCC's FM station database for KQOU
- Radio-Locator information on KQOU
- Query Nielsen Audio's FM station database for KQOU
- Radio-Locator information on K276ET
- Query the FCC's FM station database for K276ET
- Radio-Locator information on K250AU
- Query the FCC's FM station database for K250AU
- Radio-Locator information on K295BL
- Query the FCC's FM station database for K295BL
- Radio-Locator information on K286BZ
- Query the FCC's FM station database for K286BZ