KIIT School of Management, Bhubaneswar
|Chancellor||Dr. L.N. Mitra|
|Vice-Chancellor||Dr. P.P. Mathur|
|Dean||Dr. Ashok K. Sar|
|Director||Dr. Anil Bajpai|
|Location||Campus -7, KIIT University, Patia, Bhubaneswar -24.|
KIIT School of Management (KSOM), Bhubaneswar, India, established in 1993 as Institute of Business Administration and Training (IBAT) is one of the oldest B-schools of the country having completed 22 years as of 2015. The school is part of the multi-discipline KIIT University, founded by Dr. Achyuta Samanta.
The institute is AICTE approved and accredited by National Assessment and Accreditation Council (NAAC) in 'A' grade. It offers the two year flagship Master in Business Administration (MBA) program along with Bachelor in Business Administration (BBA) and Doctoral Program in Management. Additionally, the institute also regularly conducts Management Development programs for the working executives.
The institute conducts its own national level entrance examination called KIITEE Management generally held in the month of January each year. In addition, it also accepts CAT, GMAT, CMAT, MAT and ATMA scores for admission.
It runs out of a 35-acre campus within the University premises with infrastructure facilities such as an amphitheatre, a 500-seater auditorium, a four-storied library, computer lab, separate hostels for all boys and girls and a wi-fi enabled campus.
The school owns Parikalpana, a bi-annual research journal published from the institute.
- 1 History
- 2 Recognition
- 3 Academics
- 4 Campus
- 5 Library
- 6 Faculty & research
- 7 Placement
- 8 Industry interface
- 9 Student activities
- 10 Key events
- 11 Gallery
- 12 See also
- 13 References
- 14 External links
The school was founded in 1993 as Institute of Business Administration and Training (IBAT) by Pradyumna Kishore Bal to lay emphasis on business leadership along with societal responsibilities in the state of Odisha. Bal was an eminent thinker and pioneer of value-based journalism. A journalist and writer by profession, Bal was founder of `Pragativadi’, an Oriya weekly. He was also a member of numerous social, economic and cultural organisations. He was also an elected member of the 6th Lok Sabha.
The institute started 2 years post Graduate Diploma in Management with an annual intake of 60 students in a rented building in Nayapalli, Bhubaneswar. The specializations offered were Human Resource Management, Financial Management, Marketing Management and Information Technology Management.AICTE revised the approved intake of students to 120 in the year 2002.Later on in 2004, IBAT was affiliated to KIIT University.
The successive Directors of KSOM are Mr. Arindam Banerjee, Mr. M.L.Monga, Mr. Ramesh Chandra Pani, Mr. D.V. Ramana, Mr. Govind Rajan, Mr. H.R.Machiraju, Dr. L.K.Vaswani and Mr. Deepak Gandhi. Dr. Anil Bajpai is presently the Director of KSOM.
KSOM has been awarded the National Assessment and Accreditation Council (NAAC) accreditation of UGC from March 2010, for a period of 5 years for the MBA Program with ‘A’ grade. Ministry of Human Resource Development (MHRD), Govt. of India has placed KIIT University in the list of Category ‘A’ Deemed Universities on the basis of Tandon Committee recommendations.
Various rankings for KIIT School of Management over the years:
- # 6 in the Eastern India, # 35 across India, as per NHRDN – People Matters ranking, March 2015
- # 3 in the Eastern India as per Career 360 Top B-Schools Rating 2015
- # 5 in the Eastern India & # 40 all India as per MBA Universe Ranking 2015
- # 6 in the Eastern India & # 46 all India as per Times Group Survey 2014
- # 6 in the Eastern India, # 9 in Infrastructure & # 44 all India by Outlook Drshti Ranking 2014
- # 8 in the Eastern India, # 30 in Private colleges & # 46 all India by Business Today-MDRA India's Best B-School 2014
- # 3 in Private colleges East Zone, # 51 all India & # 32 among Private colleges in India by The Week-Hansa Research B School Survey 2014
- # 5 in the Eastern India & # 36 all India by CNBC TV 18 (2013)
- # 6 in Eastern India, # 46 All India, # 26 Among Private colleges in India by The Week-Hansa Ranking 2013
- # 24 across India, as per NHRDN – People Matters ranking, May 2013
- # 7 in Infrastructure & # 44 overall by Outlook Drshti Ranking,October 2013
- # 11 in India for BBA Course, as per MBA Universe Ranking,2013
- Master in Business Administration (MBA): Two-year full-time residential programme with specializations in Marketing, Finance, HR, Technology and Operations Management (TOM) and Information Technology (IT), is the flagship programme of KSOM.
- Bachelor in Business Administration (BBA): The three-year program at KSOM provides the basics of business and the fundamentals of management in a simplified manner.Student studying BBA at KSOM find it easy to continue into MBA, start something on their own or join their own business.
- Ph.D. Programme:The doctoral programme at KSOM is designed to promote academic research. Prof Rajen K Gupta, Professor at Management Development Institute (MDI), Gurgaon, as the Research Advisor, looks into all aspects of management research at KSOM.
- Management Development Programmes (MDP): KSOM provides both on site & off site MDPs to both private and public sector enterprises at different levels of the organizational hierarchy.
- Faculty Development Programmes (FDP): KSOM assists in the training and development of Faculties (from within the university and outside) and fellow PhD scholars alike through its Faculty Development Programs.Various training program are offered to enhance the ability in conducting meaningful research, improving research methodology and functional area experience.
The curriculum is divided into 9 academic areas: Marketing; Finance and Accounts; Human Resources & Organizational Behaviour; Information Technology; Production & Operations Management; General Management, Business Communication, Strategy; Managerial Economics; Quantitative Methods & Decision Sciences; Entrepreneurial Management.The MBA curriculum consists of three different components - Core courses, Elective courses and corporate experience through study tours and Summer Internship Program (SIP).The core and elective courses are delivered over 4 semester of 20 weeks duration for each semester and a summer project of 8 weeks duration after the 2nd semesters in the months of May & June (SIP). There are 17 core courses in the first year and one core course plus elective courses equivalent to 32 credits in the second year covering seven functional areas.
- Marketing Management
- Cost & Management Accounting
- Financial Accounting
- Corporate Finance
- Organizational Behavior & Structure
- Human Resource Management
- Managerial Economics
- Production & Operations Management
- Quantitative Techniques
- Business Research Methods
- Information technology for Managers
- Enterprise Information Systems
- Business Communication
- Strategic Management
- Business Round-up
- Legal Aspects of Business
- Business Ethics & Corporate Social Responsibility
Students at the school take up two-month Summer Internship Program (SIP) after their second semester. The internship is of 8 credits, forming a significant part of students’ overall academic credits. The students work on projects that help them familiarize with the corporate culture and the demands of today's business.
The school is a fully WIFI campus spread across 35 acres.
Classroom - All the class rooms are equipped with audio-video systems, overhead projectors, computers and wireless hotspots.
Auditorium - It has a 500-seater in-house auditorium for industry talks, student functions, lectures and movie screening.
Amphitheatre - It also has one 120-seater open gallery for seminar talks and smaller events.
Hostel - There are separate boys and girls hostels for all inmates, across all programs. All the rooms are Wi-Fi enabled.
Sports - Swimming Pools, Tennis and Volleyball Courts, Large Playgrounds, a jogging track and facilities for indoor sports, for students and faculty are provided as part of the University. The school also houses a 24/7 multipurpose gymnasium.
Medical Facility - KIIT University has its own ultra-modern multi-specialty thousand-bed hospital - Kalinga Institute of Medical Sciences, that provides medical checkups to the students every year. The students are covered under the University medical insurance policy.
The 9,800 sq. ft library housed inside the campus is well equipped with computer terminals with high speed broadband Ethernet access coupled with fast wireless access.It has been automated using LS Primea (LibSys )with online catalogue (webopac).
It has a collection of printed and electronic resources which includes over 22,122 books, 30 international and 150 national journals, over 10,000 e-journals made available through various online databases EBSCO, Emerald and ABI/INFORM Complete and CMIE (Corporate database) on Management Development studies and related subjects.
Besides these, there are around 550 CDs, annual reports of top Indian & foreign companies, student project reports, Case study collection, working papers, PhD Theses, over 400 videos cassettes & VCDs of educational films and films of group discussions, Interviews and interactions with eminent corporate personalities.
The library also subscribes for 17 national newspapers & has membership of British Council's Library & Information Services and American Information Resources Centre.
Faculty & research
The school has over 60 full-time faculty members with qualifications from institutions including University of Massachusetts, Wisconsin[disambiguation needed], IIM Ahmedabad, IIM Lucknow, IIM Kozhikode, XLRI, XIMB, IITs. Close to 50% of the faculty hold doctoral degrees with many others pursuing doctoral studies.
The permanent faculty team is supplemented by several visiting faculties, drawn from both industry and academia.
KSOM publishes a bi-annual peer reviewed journal named Parikalpana which includes articles submitted by faculty members, research scholars and professionals .The journal is indexed in J-Gate, EBSCO HOST, Cabell's Directories, Ulrich Knowledge base, and ProQuest. The journal covers business sectors in India and abroad.
More than 70 companies visit the campus every year for summers and final placements. Some of the companies that have visited the campus for placements include Tata Consultancy Services, Infosys, Mahindra & Mahindra, HDFC Bank, ICICI Bank, SREI, ITC, Deloitte, Axis Bank, Dabur, GlaxoSmithKline, Colgate Palmolive, XL Dynamics, Asian Paints, Berger Paints, Redington, Vodafone, Torrent Pharmaceutical, BNP Paribas, Cognizant, Dassault Systemes, ICICI Securities, Syntel, Mother Dairy, Pantaloons, HCL, and Manipal, Spandana.
The highest domestic salary package offered to KSOM students in the concluded 2013-14 placement season is Rs.7.5 lacs. The offer was from Dabur India Limited. The average domestic salary was Rs 3.90 lacs p.a in the year 2013.
KSOM has established academic partnership with several organisations to jointly deliver content, foster innovation, enhance student learning and develop new capabilities.
- Dassault Systemes (DS) - A Center for Building Competence in Product Lifecycle Management has been established under the partnership with Dassault Systemes to focus on building manpower for managing the engineering and technological needs of the Indian industry.
- SAP University Alliances - KSOM has entered into an alliance with SAP University Alliance Program to provide SAP education to MBA students.
- SHRM India - KSOM recently signed an MoU with SHRM India to accelerate the overall development of all MBA Students through 100 hours of engagementin small groups as well as in one-to-one interaction with broad range of experienced experts from the industry for onc complete year. The engagements would broadly cover development of general management skills; development of functional skills; and development of soft skills
- Tech Mahindra - KSOM recently signed an MoU with Tech Mahindra to conceptualize research projects, share information and technology to develop required skills and execute projects
- NHRD - KSOM has association with NHRD (National Human Resource Development Network) for event partnership & conclaves in HR area.
On an average, there is one corporate interaction event per week, at the school.Each course has identified number of sessions earmarked for seminar lectures. The past speakers include:
- Mr. Sandeep Rath, UCLA Anderson Graduate School of Management, Los Angeles.
- Mr. Ambuja Satapathy, Film Maker & Communication Consultant
- Mr. Piyush Chowhan, Head Analytics at SanDisk
- Mr. Mukul Chopra, Head – Engagement and HR strategy-Aircel
- Mr. Sudhir Madhugiri, Practice Partner, Wipro
- Mr. Prasad Sadagopan, Sr. Manager Portfolio, Credit Cards, HDFC Bank
- Dr. P K Mohanty, Head e-governance in Narendra Modi’s Govt
- Mr. Gopal Paul Choudhary, Zonal Manager,MTR
- Mr. Jitu Mohapatra, CEO Orimark
- Mr. Manoj K. Mohanty, VP-Sales, IDS NEXT
- Prof. Arijit Mazumdar, IIM, Ranchi
- Mr. P C Panigrahi, Vice President, Human Resource, JMC, Mumbai
- Dr. Chandra Mauli Dwivedi, President & Global Head – Corp. HR & CSR Datamatics Global Services Group
- Mr. Ishwar Subramaniam Entrepreneur and Ex-CEO, Akzo Nobel India
- Dr. V Raghunathan, CEO, GMR Varalakshmi Foundation
- Mr. Sambit Mahapatra, Principal Consultant, Utilities Practice, Infosys
- Mr. Jayanta Kumar Kar Senior Account Quality Manager, Infosys
- Mr. Prakash Pattnaik, Senior Managing Partner, Next Level
- Mr. Ravishankar D, Founder Director at Brickwork Rating India Pvt. Ltd.
- Ms. Smita Chakraborty, Regional Manager, Marketing-East & UP (ICICI Securities)
- Mr. C K Podder, ED (HR/IR), Nilachal Ispat Nigam Limited
- Mr. Sanjay Kumar, Vice President & Head-Human Resources, FINO PayTech Limited
- Mr. Prasanjit Dasgupta, Chief HR and Operations, MOL, Kolkata
- Mr. Asit K. Barma, Head Global Marketing & Strategy – Definance Technologies, Hinduja Group of Company
- Shri R.N.Kar, Chief General Manager-in-Charge of Foreign Exchange Department, Reserve Bank of India
- Mr. Anil Bajpai, President – Project & Operations, Sahara India
- Mr. Susanta Mallick, Professor of International Finance at School of Business and Management, Queen Mary, University of London, UK
- Mr. B.K.Sahu, Commissioner, ESIC
- Mr. Surya Prakash Mohapatra, India Training Head- Global Business Services at Hewlett-Packard
- Mr. Sudarshan Srinath, Senior Consultant Engineer-PLM, Igate
- Mr. Manas Panda, Executive Director, SAIL
- Mr. Indranil Samakar & Mr. Rajender Bedi, Business Development Managers, INTEL, East India & Bangladesh
- Dr. T.V. Rao, Professor, IIM, Ahmedabad
- Mr. Asit Mohapatra, Director, Raymond Limited.
- Mr. Deepak Mohanty, Executive Director, Reserve Bank of India
- Major P.K.Das, Vice President (HR), Ultratech Cement Ltd.
- Prof. (Dr.) Sukanya Ray, Associate Professor, Suffolk University
- Dr. Sanak Mishra, Vice President and CEO, Arcelor Mittal and Greenfield Project
- Mr. P.K.Hota, AVP-CSR, R&R and Corporate Communications, JSPL
- Prof. Praveen Jha, Professor, Centre for Economic Studies and Planning, JNU, New Delhi
- Mr. Priyadarshy Dash, Managing Consultant, PRISOFT, California
Beyond the classroom study hours, students learn the nuances of management through clubs, both academic and non-academic, and special interest groups. Students can join one or more of the 10 clubs on campus. The club work involves group-task, leadership skills, creativity, time and conflict management and general sociality. The clubs invite speakers to campus, organize trips, social events, and help form bonds between students of similar interests.
The Student Development Committee is the main interface between the MBA student body and the faculty/administration.
- Exchequer – Finance Club
- Matricks – Marketing Club
- Impresario – Entrepreneurship Club
- Synergy – HR Club
- Opsession – TOM Club
- First Kut – Media & Literary Club
- Aequitas - Sports Club
- Sanskriti - Cultural Club
- Blood 24×7 - Students of KSOM, under a society called "Blood 24×7″ have several times organized Blood Donation camps and spread the awareness about donating blood. They have donned T-shirts with blood donation messages, staged street shows and approached local people urging them to consider donating blood.
- Share a Smile - KSOM students have several times collected used clothes, blankets, stationeries from the campus and donated them to needy staying around the campus.
- National Service Scheme(NSS)-KSOM NSS wing was started during the Youth Week of 12–19 January 2011 to usher the students on a path of social service and community development activities.
Business and cultural events are organised by the student community of KSOM.
Kolosseum is the annual b-school fest of KSOM. Spread over three days, the event witnesses various management, cultural and creative games and star performances. It has included appearances from Sona Mohapatra, Ram Sampath, Kunal Ganjawala, Hard Kaur, Krishna Beura, KK and others.
HR Conclave: Each year, a relevant HR issue is picked up by the Human Resources area that forms the underlying theme of the conclave at KSOM. Students get a ringside view of the latest in the field of HR and gets to live the experiences of the senior industry professionals though panel discussions, keynote speeches, student workshops,etc. Key speakers of the past HR Conclaves include Mr. Rajeev Dubey, Mr. S.Y Siddiqui, Mr. Ambarish Dasgupta, Dr. Sumit Chowdhury, etc.
Finance Conclave: KSOM organizes a national level Finance Conclave each year.Key attendees of past Finance conclaves have been Dr. Aditya Puri, MD and CEO, HDFC Bank; Dr. N. Chandrasekaran, MD and CEO, TCS; Dr. K C Chakrabarty, Deputy Governor, RBI; Dr. K G Karmakar, MD, NABARD; Mr. Debashish Mohanty, Country Head, UTI MF; Mr. Tridev Khandelwal, Associate Director, SR Batliboi & Associates, etc.
Marketing Conclave: Each year, the school organizes a National Level Marketing Conclave, with a theme based on New Trends and Challenges in Marketing.Some of the guests of past Marketing Conclaves have been Mr. Dilip Cherian, PR Consultant, widely considered the “Image Guru” of India; Mr.Vishnu Govind, GM-Marketing; Raymond Limited; Mr. Videh Jaipuriar, CEO – Jubilant Industries Limited; Mr. Salil K. Sahu, MD – Home Stores India, etc.
National Management Convention: It's a yearly event where both Academic and Corporate Delegates present their research findings.The prominent speakers of Past conventions include Ms. Shobha Mishra Ghosh, Senior Director, Education, FICCI and Shri Debabrat Mishra, Director, Hay Group; Prof. C. V. Baxi, Professor in Public Policy and Governance, MDI Gurgaon & Mr. Nikhil Pant, Chief Programme Officer, NFCSR, IICA; Mr. Praveen Gupta, Chief General Manager, SBI and Prof. B.B. Bhattacharya, Former Vice Chancellor, JNU and Distinguished Professor, IIM Lucknow
- "Parikalpana: The Research Journal". ksom.ac.in.
- "Pradyumna Bal's 80th Birth Anniversary". pragativadi.com.
- News Service, Express. "We don't care what 80 pc of India wants". http://www.newindianexpress.com. New Indian Express. Retrieved 5 November 2014.
- "Members of Lok Sabha". parliamentofindia.nic.in. Retrieved 5 November 2014.
- "KIIT University gets ‘A’ Grade from MHRD". enarada.com.
- "Top B-schools in East India 2015". careers360.com.
- "B School Rankings: Top 100 B School Listed in MBAUniverse.com most credible Ranking". mbauniverse.com.
- "100 Takes: Schools On A High Table - Arindam Mukherjee". outlookindia.com.
- "Best Business Schools in India Full Ranking - Business Today". businesstoday.in.
- "The Week - The Week-Hansa Research B-School Survey 2014". manoramaonline.com.
- "Top Business Shows, Business News, Business Schedule, Videos, Anchors -CNBC TV18". moneycontrol.com.
- "Article: The NHRDN-People Matters B-School Rankings 2013: B-School write-ups". People Matters.
- "Top 75 Management Colleges".
- "bba ranking 2013: bba colleges rankings in india, bba colleges ranking, bba institutes in india, bba institutes in delhi, bba institutes in mumbai". mbauniverse.com.
- "Welcome to MDI Faculty Dashboard". mdi.ac.in.
- "Completed Events/Projects". ksom.ac.in.
- "Faculty Development Program". ksom.ac.in.
- "Curriculum". ksom.ac.in.
- "Central Library of KIIT University". kiit.ac.in.
- "Homepage - Cabell's Directories". Cabell's Directories.
- "Srei Infrastructure Finance Limited". srei.com.
- "XL Dynamics Inc. - Products". xldynamics.com.
- "Paint Your Imagination: Paints for home, Exterior Interior Painting Colors - Berger Paints". bergerpaints.com.
- "KSOM - Best B-School for Placement in India". ksom.ac.in.
- Kanungo bbsr. "Placement 2013: KIIT Yet Again Achieves Record Placement in All Streams". eodishasamachar.com.
- "KIIT Partners with Dassault Syst猫mes to Start 2 year MBA Programme in Technology Management : CAD CAM News". cadcamnews.in.
- "India : TECH MAHINDRA inks MoU with 5 educational organizations.". thefreelibrary.com.
- "Industry Connect". ksom.ac.in.
- "B-School Festival". kolosseum.co.in.
- "Rajeev Dubey". mahindra.com.
- "India's Greatest". indiasgreatest.com.
- "Ambarish Dasgupta - KPMG - IN". kpmg.com.
- "PROFILE OF KG KARMAKAR". sulekha.com.
- "Board of Directors". jubilantindustries.com.
- "Odisha-based KIIT University to organise National Marketing Conclave, Odisha Current News, Odisha Latest Headlines". orissadiary.com.
- "KIIT holds meet on bridging education-job gap". dailypioneer.com.
- "Odisha: 6th National Management Convention on CSR in India inaugurated at KIIT University". orissadiary.com. 22 February 2013. Retrieved 28 January 2015.
- "Odisha-based KIIT School of Management Organises 5th National Management Convention". indiaeducationdiary.in.
- Official Website of KSOM
- Official Website of KIIT University
- The Official Website of Kolosseum, the fest of KSOM