Kalinga Institute of Industrial Technology
|Motto||Sā Vidyā Yā Vimuktayē (Sanskrit)|
Motto in English
|Education is that which liberates|
|Affiliation||UGC, NAAC, ACU|
|Chancellor||N. L. Mitra|
Bhubaneswar, Odisha, India|
|Campus||Urban, 700 acres (2.8 km2), 20 independent distributed campuses,23 constituent schools|
Kalinga Institute of Industrial Technology (KIIT), formerly KIIT University is an institute of higher education located in Bhubaneswar, Odisha, India. The institution offers under-graduate and post-graduate courses in Engineering, Bio-technology, Medicine, Management, Law, Computer application, Rural management, Fashion, Film Studies, Journalism, Architecture and Sculpturing. It was awarded the deemed university status in 2004 and renamed as KIIT University. In 2017 it was renamed to its original name following the University Grants Commission (UGC) request to drop the "University" from the name.
KIIT was established in 1992 as an Industrial Training Institute with only 12 students and 2 faculties. This institution was the brainchild of Achyuta Samanta, C R Mishra, P K Mishra who had envisioned a profound center of learning in India and so pursued to lay the foundation of KIIT. In 1997, the School of Technology and the School of Computer Application was established. In 2004 it was conferred the status of deemed university.
The KIIT School of Biotechnology, School of Rural Management, School of Medicine and KIIT Law School were started in 2007. In 2009, five new schools, School of Mass Communication, School of Fashion Technology, School of Film Studies, School of Tourism and Hospitality Management and School of Sculpture were established. However, later the School of Mass Communication and School of Film Studies were merged to form School of Film and Media Studies, while School of Sculpture was renamed as School of Fine Arts and the School of Tourism and Hospitality Management was discontinued. Kalinga Institute of Medical Sciences and Kalinga Institute of Dental Sciences came under the ambit of KIIT in August, 2009. In 2013, three new schools were established — School of Architecture, School of Leadership and School of Sports. In 2015, 3 more schools were added - School of Public Health, School of Chemical Technology and School of Yoga and Spiritualism. Currently more than 12000 students are enrolled in various courses of the institute.
KIIT was accredited by National Assessment and Accreditation Council (NAAC) with an A grade with a score of 3.48 out of 4 points. KIIT is a member of Association of Commonwealth Universities (ACU).
|General – international|
|QS (BRICS) (2018)||251-300|
|General – India|
|NIRF (Overall) (2018)||65|
|NIRF (Universities) (2018)||42|
|Engineering – India|
|Business/Management – India|
Internationally, KIITy was ranked in the 251-300 band in the QS University Rankings BRICS University Rankings of 2018. In India, it was ranked 51 among engineering colleges by the National Institutional Ranking Framework (NIRF) in 2018, 42 among all universities and 65 overall. NIRF also ranked it 30 in the management ranking.
KIIT offers 100 programmes in the following schools:
- Schools of Technology
- School of Computer Application (KSCA)
- School of Civil Engineering
- School of Mechanical Engineering
- School of Electrical Engineering
- School of Computer Engineering
- School of Chemical Technology
- School of Electronics Engineering
- School of Biotechnology
- Kalinga Institute of Medical Sciences (KIMS)
- Kalinga Institute of Dental Sciences (KIDS)
- Kalinga Institute of Nursing Sciences (KINS)
- Other schools
- School of Film & Media Sciences
- School of Fashion Technology
- School of Fine Art
- School of Leadership
- School of Humanities and Social Sciences
- KIIT School of Languages, established in 2007
- School of Applied Sciences
- School of Public Health
- KIIT School of Mass Communication
- KIIT School of Law
- School of Yoga & Spiritualism
- School of Sports
- School of Architecture & Planning
- School of Buddhist Studies
Research and development
KIIT has a Research and Development wing headed by a Director along with other qualified faculty members who collaborate with various Research Organizations. Thrust of the R & D Wing of KIIT is interdisciplinary research through multidisciplinary interactions. The vision is to unleash creative thinking and enable KIIT to become a well-known technological institute for research and development as well as for post-graduate education and doctoral research. Faculty members (spearheaded by Udai P. Singh) are currently pursuing research funded by organizations, such as, the Department of Science and Technology (DST), the Department of Atomic Energy (DAE) and Council of Scientific and Industrial Research (CSIR). Industry Institute interactions are also being strengthened through various funded schemes sponsored by AICTE, UGC and DSIR. In this context, a large number of MoUs have been signed with leading research organizations of the country and abroad for facilitating collaborative research and other academic activities. Currently offered in four broad areas, technology, biotechnology, management and humanities, the college has instituted 48 doctoral fellowships. The R & D wing has been actively supporting various National and International conferences hosted by the institute like International Conference on Emerging Technology and International Conference on Distributed Computing & Internet Technology. The wing actively collaborates with various educational, scientific, research and industrial organizations and has informal collaboration with faculty members of all IITs and corporate houses for specific problem and objectives. It has MoUs with organizations of repute in India and abroad for collaborative action. KIIT has also established a Centre for Innovation and Entrepreneurship to provide technical knowledge and facilities for starting technology driven enterprises as well as doing research for producing cost-effective techniques.
In 2012, the Institution had organized the 99th Indian Science Congress.
Admission and scholarships
Admission to undergraduate and postgraduate programs are primarily done through the institute's entrance examination KIITEE (KIIT Entrance Examination). Admission to the M.Tech program are also granted through GATE. Students are admitted to the law school through a written all India common test known as KLSAT (KIIT Law School Admission Test). For the newly introduced courses of fashion, film studies, journalism and sculpturing the admission will be done on the basis of merit of previous qualifying examinations and additional experiences related to the concerned disciplines.
The Institute also grants scholarships to meritorious and needy students every year. Among them, Pradyumna Bal Memorial Scholarship is awarded to two economically challenged but meritorious students and they are provided completely free education along with ancillary expenses.
Campus and facilities
Each of the campuses is named after a river of India. The classrooms are air conditioned and have state-of-the-art modern educational equipment like wireless LCD projectors to teach the students in a friendly manner.All the campuses have Wifi connection for easy access to the internet. The institute has a central library consisting more than 141,819 books and journals on various topics and also have access to several renowned web libraries and journals. Services provided to the users include, Current Awareness Service (CAS), Reference Service, Documentation Service, Reprographic Service, Digital Library and Web Library. Apart from the central library, every schools maintains its own library for assisting the students and teachers.
Separate hostel facilities are available for boys and girls with modern amenities and 24 hours internet connectivity. The canteens serves hygienic Indian and continental dishes to the students. The cafeterias within the campus offers snacks, soft drinks and beverages. Students can practice several sports like basketball, lawn tennis, hockey and cricket. Biju Patnaik Indoor Stadium, established by KIIT, is one of the biggest indoor stadiums in the state next to Jawaharlal Nehru Indoor Stadium at Cuttack. It provides facility for all indoor games, including an air-conditioned billiards room. Twelve station Multi-gym, Billiards, Table Tennis, Badminton, Chess and Carom are the main attractions of the indoor stadium. Students and staff avail round the clock medical attention from Kalinga Institute of Medical Sciences, the medical wing of KIIT which constitute a 1200 bedded hospital with ambulances and out patient department in case of need. KIIT also has buses, shuttle cars to meet the transportation need of the students and staffs. An in-house computerized Post Office is functioning from the Campus. All postal stationeries along with Speed Post facility are available at the post office. Banking services along with 24 hours ATM are available of Allahabad Bank, ICICI Bank, Punjab National Bank, Oriental Bank of Commerce, United Bank of India and State Bank of India to the students. A computerized railway ticket counter is operational from within the campus. Big Bazaar(super market)and Monginis (bakery) are very close to the campus. Along with it for refreshment of students a Cafe Coffee Day outlet is also present inside the campus. For 2016 graduating batch students, there were 3800 job offers and more than 2200 students got placed on day one .
KIIT provides on-campus residential facilities to its students, research scholars, faculty members and many of its staff. The students live in hostels throughout their stay in the KIIT, though its optional. There are in total 17 different hostels out of which six are for girls and rest are for boys.
There are different societies in KIIT to choose from according to the interest and choice of the student. Some of the major societies of the college are Qutopia, the Quiz society; Kronicle, the Literary Society, the Social Responsibility Cell and Korus, the Music Society. Students from Kronicle have made no marks at various National and International Level students.Social Responsibility Cell aims at inculcating a sense of social responsibility in the hearts and minds of all the students. The quiz society Qutopia organizes a national level quiz competition, Udghosh every year. The decenary edition of Udghosh was hosted by Vikram Joshi, winner of World Quizzing Championship. It also conducts an Intra-University Quiz competition "Launchpad" every year as a part of induction program. Qutopia is very well known in quizzing circles throughout the country and has produced quizzers who have not only conquered state and regional level quizzes, but also at national and international level, including the prestigious Tata Crucible Campus Quiz, which is hosted by ace quizmaster Giri Balasubramanium, along with other high profile quizzes like Debasish Das Memorial (DDM) IT Quiz, Sweden India Nobel Memorial Quiz, and Mahindra AQ.
The KIIT chapter of Society for Promotion of Indian Classical Music And Culture Amongst Youth (SPICMACAY) established in 2003, promotes classical Indian music, dance, and culture among youth and have organised numerous musical concerts. Students can also join National Cadet Corps (NCC) and National Service Scheme (NSS). There are other cultural, literary societies and interest groups. Several schools have their own societies based on the course of the school. The School of Technology, have the Robotic Society, which organizes meetings and workshops to expose the students about robotic concept and how to build and program them. The School of Law have Student Bar Association, which organises moot court competitions and make the students ready for the same. National Cadet Corps (India)|The School of Management have forums based on marketing, HR, Finance and IT clubs which promotes and make the student aware on the latest happenings.
Apart from the societies, which organises Intra School competitions, the institute organizes different cultural and academic fest. The annual Techno-Management fest named KIIT FEST is organized every year which provides a platform for the progressive brains of our nation to interact, compete and display their creativity and talent. Koncord is the annual cultural fest organized in KIIT. Some of the schools organize their own fest, like the School of Management organizes its own fest Kolosseum every year. Other celebrations include Independence Day, Republic day are organized with great enthusiasm. KIIT International MUN, although young, has grown to be one of the largest Model United Nations Conferences in India.
Students from various schools of KIIT also come together to bring out "Kritika", the annual students' magazine of KIIT.
THE KIIT TBI — Technology Business Incubator is an initiative of KIIT supported by DST, Govt. Of India.It is set up to facilitate and encourage start-ups by providing them with the proper and conducive ecosystem. With more than 10 startup incubatees in KIIT TBI, it has a unique mix of startups pertaining to web 2.0, biotechnology, agriculture, healthcare & legal consulting. Autosports India, the renowned Automotive magazine commercial Website is start-up of KIIT undergraduate students of Mechanical Engineering, 2014 batch.
- "Don't use 'university' in institute names, UGC directs deemed-to-be varsities". The Indian Express. 15 November 2017. Retrieved 1 December 2017.
- "Overview". KIIT University. Retrieved 2009-05-01.
- "KIIT Accreditation". Archived from the original on 17 September 2008.
- "KIIT School of Rural Management, KIIT University | KSRM | MBA in Rural Management | MBA(RM)". KIIT School of Rural Management, KIIT University | KSRM | MBA in Rural Management | MBA(RM) |. Retrieved 2018-07-01.
- "KIIT claims making it to record book". The Hindu. 8 November 2009. Retrieved 2009-05-01.
- [kiit.ac.in/about/ "About KIIT"] Check
|url=value (help). Retrieved 6 December 2017.
- "KIIT gets NAAC 'A' Grade accreditation". The Pioneer. 27 May 2016. Retrieved 6 December 2017.
- "KIIT joins ACU hall of fame". Express Buzz. 1 May 2009. Retrieved 2009-05-05.
- "QS BRICS University Rankings 2018". QS Quacquarelli Symonds Limited. 2017. Retrieved 2 December 2017.
- "National Institutional Ranking Framework 2018 (Overall)". National Institutional Ranking Framework. Ministry of Human Resource Development. 2018.
- "National Institutional Ranking Framework 2018 (Universities)". National Institutional Ranking Framework. Ministry of Human Resource Development. 2018.
- "National Institutional Ranking Framework 2018 (Engineering)". National Institutional Ranking Framework. Ministry of Human Resource Development. 2018.
- "National Institutional Ranking Framework 2018 (Management)". National Institutional Ranking Framework. Ministry of Human Resource Development. 2018. Retrieved 3 April 2018.
- "Academics - KIIT". kiit.ac.in. Retrieved 14 January 2018.
- "Genesis and History". KSOM. 19 May 2015. Retrieved 14 January 2018.
- "KSRM Programmes". KIIT University. Archived from the original on 22 May 2009. Retrieved 2009-05-05.
- "Past Conferences held in KIIT". KIIT. Retrieved 2009-05-08.
- "Research & Development in KIIT". Archived from the original on 22 June 2008.
- "KIIT Incubator Functions". KIIT University. Retrieved 2009-05-05.[dead link]
- "KIIT to Host 99th Indian Science Congress in Association with NISER". KIIT University. Retrieved 2012-01-11.
- "KIIT Admission Policy". KIIT University. Retrieved 2009-05-05.
- "Scholarships awarded by KIIT". KIIT University. Retrieved 2009-05-08.
- "KIIT Facilities". KIIT University. Archived from the original on 27 February 2009. Retrieved 2009-05-06.
- "KIIT Central Library". KIIT University. Retrieved 2009-05-06.
- "Chief Secretary to head fast track panel to monitor rail projects". The Hindu. 26 July 2008. Retrieved 2009-05-06.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 4 April 2014. Retrieved 22 May 2014.
- "KIIT University Student Activity". KIIT University. Retrieved 2009-05-08.
- "DDM IT Quiz BHubaneswar Edition". ddmitquiz.
- "History of DDM IT Quiz". mindfiresolutions.
- "When action speaks volumes". telegraphindia.
- "KIIT team qualifies Sweden India Nobel Memorial Quiz". newindianexpress.
- "Sweden India Nobel Memorial Quiz 2016 Bhubaneswar". allevents.
- "Study & play go hand in hand". telegraphindia.
- "KLS Student Life". KIIT University. Archived from the original on 12 March 2009. Retrieved 8 May 2009.
- "KSOM Forum". KIIT University. Retrieved 2009-05-08.[dead link]
- "KIIT TBI". KIIT University. Retrieved 7 Mar 2014.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Kalinga Institute of Industrial Technology.|