|Role||Airborne early warning and control (AEW&C)|
|Manufacturer||Shaanxi Aircraft Corporation|
|Developed from||Shaanxi Y-9|
KJ-500 (Chinese: 空警-500; pinyin: Kōngjǐng Wǔbǎi; literally: "Airwarn-500") is the third generation Airborne early warning and control (AEW&C) system of Chinese. It was developed by Shaanxi Aircraft Corporation.
Since the beginning of the 21st century, the detection range and the accuracy of airborne radars has been increasing, the fighters equipped with various types of air-to-air missiles and low-altitude cruise missiles have posed a big threat to China's national security and complicated the battlefield environment. To address the above issues, China started the development of KJ-500, its third generation AEW&C, in the late of 2000s. KJ-500 was required to have three important features which are good discovery ability, good identification ability, and quick responsiveness. KJ-500 was also required to the core force of the informatized combat system, its equipped technology has four major characteristics which are networking, multi-functionalization, high-integration and light weight. It seems that a handful of KJ-200 have become redundant after the commissioning of the more advanced KJ-500.
Limited performance parameters of KJ-500 have been published as follows:
- Max speed (km/hr): 550
- Max range (km): 5700
- Max endurance (hr): 12
- Max takeoff weight(tons): 77
- Range against fighter sized targets (km): 470
- "空警-500：中国预警机家族新明星" (in Chinese). Xinhua. 31 October 2015. Retrieved 30 July 2018.
- Technology characteristics of the 3rd generation early warning aircraft and its electronic reconnaissance system，ZHEN JunYi, China Academy of Electronics and Science，Beijing 100041，China
- "Expert: KJ-500 improves China's overall military power". China Military Online. 16 February 2016. Retrieved 30 July 2018.
- Lei, zhao (4 September 2015). "PLA deploys advanced jets to boost electronic capability". China Daily. Retrieved 30 July 2018.
|This aircraft-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|