This article includes a list of references, related reading or external links, but its sources remain unclear because it lacks inline citations. (September 2017) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Broadcast area||Greater Houston|
|Branding||Christian Country Radio|
|Slogan||"Christian Country Radio"|
K201IY (88.1 MHz, Angleton)|
K218EJ (91.5 MHz, Houston)
|First air date||1981|
|Format||Inspirational, Christian Country|
|HAAT||174 m (571 ft)|
|Callsign meaning||King Jesus Is Coming (the station's slogan)|
|Former callsigns||KFTG (1981-1994)|
89.3 MHz (1981-1987)|
88.1 MHz (1987-January 31, 1994)
|Owner||Community Radio, Inc.|
|Sister stations||C-Hits Radio, Southern Gospel, Hymns of Inspiration|
KJIC (90.5 FM) is a radio station serving the Greater Houston area with a mix of Inspirational, and Christian Country. The goal of KJIC is to contribute to the Houston area a mostly Country Music sound, that is family friendly, and neglects the sounds of typical country messages. The transmitter site is located outside the city limits of Liverpool, Texas
- Monday-Friday: Rise & Shine...6am-9am
- Monday-Friday: Afternoons with Carla...3pm-6pm
- Noon-6pm: Weekend Edition with Rick
Saturday & Sunday music programs
- 7am, 7pm: The Gospel Greats with Paul Heil
- 9am, 9pm: Gaithers Homecoming Radio with Bill Gaither
Monday-Friday short programs
- Midnight-Worldview Warriors-Jason Desrick
- 1:20am-Freedoms Call-Matt Staver
- 2:20am-Share Life Today-John Sorensen
- 3:20am-Legacy Moment-Crwford Loritts
- 4:20am-It's Time To Pray-Carter Cowan
- 5:20am-Women Today-Vonett Bright
- 6:20am-Keys For Kids-Zach
- 7:20am-Upwords-Max Lucado
- 8:20am-The Legal Alert-Christian Lawyers
- 9:20am-Diamonds In The Dust-Joni Kentada
- 10:20am-Ignite-Barry Meguire
- 11:20am-Today In The Word-John Geger
- 1:20pm-My Family Talk-James Dopson
- 2:20pm-Seeking Him-Nancy Lee DeMoss
- 3:20pm-Reasons Why-Alan McLauren
- 4:20pm-Reach Beyond-Dwayne Petterson
- 5:20pm-Mercy Minute-Don Stephens
- 6:20pm-A Quick Word-Beth Moore
- 7:20pm-Today's Single Christians-Lina Abujamra
- 8:20pm-Free Indeed-Pacific Garden Missions
- 9:20pm-The Garlow Perspective-Jim Garlow
- 10:20pm-Daily Light For Daily Living-Ann Graham Lotz
- 11:20pm-Reaching Your World-Luis Palau
- 1981-Signs on the air as "KFTG 89.3"
- 1987-KFTG changes frequencies from 89.3 to 88.1
- 1987-Changed Format from Christian Contemporary to "Middle of the Road" music including Southern Gospel, and Christian Country
- 1994-KFTG was changed to KJIC, as the station acquires 90.5FM
- 2003-KJIC sells 88.1 to another station. In selling, KJIC builds a tower and purchases a new transmitter.
- 2004-Another growth, increased power from 7 kW to 36 kW directional.
- 2017-The Board votes to have multiple genre's from Contemporary to Progressive Southern Gospel.
- 2018-The Board votes to change 90.5 to Christian Country, Positive Country, & Inspirational Country.
- 2018-Slogan change to Christian Country Radio.
KJIC first came on the air in 1981 in Pasadena, Texas at 118 watts, playing Contemporary Christian music. The station later changed formats to include Southern Gospel as KSBJ came on the air. Soon KJIC was only playing Southern Gospel music. Around 1983, plans developed that would double the reach of KSBJ and KJIC if the two stations changed frequencies. Once this took place, both stations were able to grow in size and cover more listeners. KJIC grew from 118 watts to 400 watts.
During the 1990s, opportunities arose for the station to grow again, up to 7,700 watts.
In the early 2000s, the station once again had the ability to grow, to 36 kW, where it stands today. The station also raised enough money from selling 88.1 to buy its own land for a tower, and transmitter.
The bulk of the station's operating expenses are met from donations by the listeners. They also offer sponsorship announcements for businesses that support the station, and advertise events and concerts hosted by churches and other non profit ministries.
2017, KJIC's Board of Directors decided to change the style of music. While they continue to air Progressive Southern Gospel (Inspirational), and Christian Country, the genres of Classic Contemporary Music and Contemporary were introduced.
2018, The Board of Directors has taken a new approach to Country music. KJIC will play mainstream artists that sing about Faith, Family, or God. The messages in the songs must bring about encouragement, spiritual strength, or share about Christ ordained topics.
Awards and achievements
- Top 10 Christian Radio Station for 15+ years from The Gospel Greats
- ICGMA Gold Award Radio Station of the Year 2011
- CGC Radio Station of the Year 2008
- Nominated Top 5 Favorite Radio Stations 2017 from Singing News Magazine
- Sean Vaughn (DJ) Golden Mic Award
- Bob Vaughn (GM) Heart Award from NAMM