K. J. Somaiya Institute of Management Studies and Research
This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)(Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Type||Education and Research Institution|
|Director||Prof.(Dr.) Monica Khanna (Acting Director)|
K. J. Somaiya Institute of Management Studies and Research (KJ SIMSR) is located in Somaiya Vidyavihar, Mumbai. It was established in 1981 as a part of the K.J. Somaiya Trust and Somaiya Vidyavihar. K.J. SIMSR was granted the status of autonomous institute by UGC in May 2013.
Padmabhushan Shri Karamshi Jethabhai Somaiya, an entrepreneur and philanthropist, established Somaiya VidyaVihar in 1959, with a vision to serve the education needs of the society at an affordable cost. Somaiya Vidyavihar, spread over 72 acres (290,000 m2) of green land, was home to faculties including Management, Engineering, Humanities, Science, Commerce, Biotechnology, Information Technology, Journalism & Mass Communication, Linguistics and Religion.
K. J. Somaiya Institute of Management Studies & Research was established in 1981 as a part of K. J. Somaiya Trust and Somaiya Vidyavihar with the objective of providing state-of-the-art education in management and allied areas. The institute was inaugurated by Manmohan Singh, former prime minister of India.
KJ SIMSR offers programmes including Post Graduate Diploma in Management, Master of Management Studies, Ph.D programmes in Management, and Management Development Programmes. It is affiliated to the University of Mumbai and/or approved by AICTE.[which?] The Institute is certified as ISO 9001:2008. It has received the SAQS Accreditation by AMDISA. It is a member of The Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business (AACSB).
KJ SIMSR's infrastructure includes air-conditioned classrooms and discussion rooms, a large library, a seminar hall, an audio-visual (AV) room, a well-equipped computer lab, MDP Centre, auditorium and conference centre, and a well-equipped hostel for boys and girls. It is located on a 55-acre (220,000 m2) plot in the central suburbs of Mumbai. The institute has facilities for sports, several foreign languages, yoga and other sports and recreational facilities.
KJ SIMSR is consistently rated amongst the top 15 B-Schools in India and Businessworld-Synovate rated the institute to be amongst top 10 B-Schools in India in 2011.
The Institute has forged alliances with several international universities. These alliances include periodical visits by students and faculty working on mutually beneficial projects. Important alliances include:
- Student exchange program with AIT Bangkok for dual degree programme.
- Student exchange with Johnson School of Management, Cornell University, USA and Simmons College, Boston.
- Fund Management Course designed in collaboration with Johnson School of Management, Cornell University.
- Entrepreneurship Management course developed in collaboration with Hunter Centre for Entrepreneurship, University of Strathclyde, Glasgow, U.K.
- Student & Faculty exchange with Deakin University of Australia.
- Student & Faculty exchange with Adelaide University of Australia.
- Collaboration agreement with Penn University, USA.
- Collaboration agreement with Angelo University, Texas.
The institute offers the following courses:
- Post Graduate Diploma in Management (PGDM), for which admission happens through CAT/CMAT.
- Post Graduate Diploma in Management - International Business, admission in which happens through CAT/CMAT.
- Post Graduate Diploma in Management- Retail Management started in year 2004, admission happens through CAT/CMAT.
- Post Graduate Diploma in Management- Financial services: admission happens through CAT/CMAT.
- Post Graduate Diploma in Management- Marketing Communications, admission happens through CAT/CMAT.
It also conducts a Master of Management Studies (MMS), affiliated with the University of Mumbai, and a Master of Computer Applications (MCA). Doctorate-level courses, management development programmes and in-company training programmes are also conducted. The institute offers a Ph.D. programme in Management of the University of Mumbai and SNDT Women's University (for women candidates only).
Organization and governance
The Institute conducts programmes approved by AICTE and University of Mumbai and, accordingly, its organisation and functioning are based on the guidelines stipulated by these agencies. However, for the proposes of Public Trust Act and Income Tax Act, the institute is a part of Somaiya Vidyavihar, the parent body registered under the Society’s Act. K.J. SIMSR has constituted its Governing Council as per the guidelines of AICTE. The Governing Council of KJ SIMSR approves all the rules and regulations for the operations of the Institute and is the supreme body of the institute.
It has constituted a Local Management Committee as per the requirements of University of Mumbai which mainly reviews the conduct of the programmes affiliated to it. The institute has an Academic Council drawing specialists from academic and industry to advise the on its programmes, curriculum and help in close industry interface. The Academic Council advises on all academic matters and approves new programmes, criteria for admission and changes in curriculum of programmes.