|Type of business||Private|
|Country of origin||Taiwan|
|Founder(s)||Chris Lin, et al|
(76% common stock)
|Native client(s) on||Android, iOS, Windows, macOS, etc|
KKBox, stylised as KKBOX is a music streaming service developed by KKBox Inc., a software company in Taipei, Taiwan from 2004. It is a part of Japanese Telecom Group, KDDI. The service area mainly targeting the music market of Southeast Asia, focusing on regions including: Taiwan, Hong Kong, Malaysia, Singapore, etc. Working on a freemium basis, both "pay-per-month" buyers or free service listeners can listen to over 20-million tunes (kkbox) on smartphones, TVs, media centers and computers.
As a Taiwan-based music streaming software, KKBox caters mainly to Mandarin-speaking users by collaborating with record companies in the Taiwanese music industry. Major companies like Gold Typhoon, East Asia Music are some of their partners. KKBox also has close links with Taiwanese artists, and mainstream Mandopop artists like Jay Chou, Eric Chou and Bii.
After launching KKBox in Taiwan, the company expanded the music streaming service to Hong Kong and Macau in 2009, Japan in 2011, Malaysia, Singapore and Thailand in 2013 with the ambition of expanding to international markets. Starting from 2011, KKBox received investment from KDDI Corporation, a Japanese telecom who occupied 76% of the stocks, HTC Corporation, a smartphone company and GIC, a Singaporean fund. Telecom partners of Hong Kong KKBox are 3 and SmarTone.
Since its establishment, KKBox has opened up supporting platforms through different applications of internet installment. There are Windows (Windows 2000 or later version), Windows Media Center, Mac OS X, IOS, Android, Symbian, Bada and partly Java’s phone. KKBox has started to support Apple Watch since 2015.
Since 2014, KKBox has established a live show "KKBox x Live" for the users with first-hand experience or enjoys the live on the KKBox app.
In 2006, the first KKBox Music Awards ceremony was held in Taiwan. It is one of the music events in Asia with awards generated based on It has held for 11 years, in which various artists perform and are honoured including Eason Chan, Jay Chou, Jolin Tsai, Apink, Sekai No Owari and so on. In January 2017, KKBox announced the winners of its 12th Annual KKBox Music Awards.
In 2008, KKBox dominated the market with 80% market share. In 2015, KKBox announced that over the past ten years of operation, the cumulative users of KKBox have reached over 10 million of people, counted up to over 1600 registered artists and celebrities.
According to the research music information behaviour and system preferences of university of students in Hong Kong by HKU, Respondents gave a variety of responses regarding their most frequently visited music services: YouTube (51.5%), KKBox (26.7%), and iTunes (14.9%) were the most popular ones. The level of satisfaction for KKBox was lower than that of YouTube. Nearly half of the participants who use KKBox were satisfied with the relevance of results (48.1%), advanced search function (44.4%) and content-based search function (44.4%). The aspects of KKBox that participants did not like included the lack of accessibility (37.0%), content-based search function (29.6%), and auto-correction (29.6%). The content-based search function in KKBox was controversial among the participants. Some participants liked it due to the novel feature that few music services had; while others were not satisfied with it, perhaps due to fact that current performance of audio content-based technologies have yet to meet users’ expectation.
Controversy over copyright
In 2007, KKBox was suspected of reproducing musical works and allowed its members to download them without authorization. The works included three hundred and twenty-four songs owned by HCM Music and a songwriter, Chan Kien Ming respectively. KKBox's owner and manager were prosecuted by Taipei District Prosecutors Office. In 2009, the court held that the case was considered as a civil dispute and the defendants are acquitted.
|2007 Dec||KKBox honored with "e-21 Golden Web Award" and "2007 IT Month Outstanding App Award"|
|2008 Dec||KKBox won the champion of the 11th IT Choice for the Best Innovative App Service held by Institute for Information Industry.|
|2010 Oct||KKBox iPhone version won "Outstanding App Award" of IT Month.|
|2010 Nov||KKBox won top honors in the e-21 Golden Web Award.|
|2014 Sep||KKBox "Single-Play" series of commercial received the Best Media Commercial Merit Award in the Kam Fan Awards 2015 given by HK4As and won the Best Brand Experience Bronze Award in the 2015 Effie Awards.|
|2014 Oct||KKBox"Eason's Secret Stage" campaign in Hong Kong won the "Best Use of Digital Platforms" runner-up award in Kam Fan Awards 2015.|
- KKBOX https://www.kkbox.com/about/en/about
- Huber, D. M., & Runstein, R. E. (2005). Modern recording techniques (8th ed.). Burlington, MA: Focal Press. p.579
- KKBOX https://www.kkbox.com/about/en/partner/music
- KKBOX https://www.kkbox.com/about/en/about#intro
- KDDI to migrate its music service to Kkbox, joining Asia’s largest music network--The Bridge http://thebridge.jp/en/2013/04/kddi-kkbox-music-service
- KKBOX https://www.kkbox.com/hk/en/index.html
- Wherever you go, listen to music with mobile phones or computers--KKBOX https://www.kkbox.com/hk/en/what-is-kkbox/supported-platforms.shtml
- KKBOX with Apple Watch--China Times http://www.chinatimes.com/newspapers/20150505000132-260204
- KKBOX x LIVE--KKBOX https://www.kkbox.com/live/?terr=hk
- KKBOX Music Awards--KKBOX https://www.kkbox.com/about/en/musicaward
- "Hebe, Mayday, JJ Lin among winners of Taiwan's KKBOX awards". AsiaOne. Retrieved 2017-10-16.
- Introduction of the company--KKBOX https://www.kkbox.com/about/en/about#intro
- Music information behaviors and system preferences of university students in Hong Kong http://188.8.131.52/ich_flag/www.terasoft.com.tw/conf/ismir2014/proceedings/T104_346_Paper.pdf
- KKBOX下載音樂侵權 王永慶外孫被訴-- National Chiao Tung University "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2016-04-09. Retrieved 2016-03-24. Cite uses deprecated parameter
|deadurl=(help)CS1 maint: archived copy as title (link)
- 遭控侵權 KKBOX簡民一判無罪--Chinatimes http://news.chinatimes.com/CMoney/News/News-Page-content/0,4993,11050709+122009072200294,00.html