|Broadcast area||Waterloo-Cedar Falls|
|Slogan||Today's Hottest Music|
|First air date||1971 (as KOEL-FM)|
|Format||Top 40 (CHR)|
|Former callsigns||KOEL-FM (1971-2003)|
|Owner||Townsquare Media |
(Townsquare Media Waterloo License, LLC)
|Sister stations||KCRR, KOEL-FM|
KKHQ-FM (92.3 FM, "Q92.3") is a radio station serving Waterloo, Cedar Falls, and the surrounding area known as the Cedar Valley with a Top 40 (CHR) format. This station broadcasts on FM frequency 92.3 MHz and is owned by Townsquare Media.
Before the 92.3 frequency was acquired by Cumulus Media from Connoisseur Media in 2000, the station was country music-formatted KOEL-FM. This format flip also happened to other stations Cumulus acquired from Connoisseur, like KBEA (Muscatine-Quad Cities, IA), which had been a country station as well as KBOB "BOB Country." The country format and KOEL-FM call sign still live on in Waterloo/Cedar Falls on 98.5 MHz, branded as "K98.5".
Before the flip to CHR, the only other stations in the Waterloo/Cedar Falls Area that carried the format were distant and somewhat weak signals: KZIA Z102.9 from Cedar Rapids, or KWAY-FM "Y99.3" from Waverly (which is now a Hot AC station). Although Waverly is considered part of the Waterloo/Cedar Falls DMA, KWAY's signal was not the strongest. At only 4,600 watts, it is considered just another small-town radio station. And while KZIA used a full 100,000 watts, the tower was at least 40–50 miles away, which made it hard to receive over the closer stations.
On August 30, 2013, a deal was announced in which Townsquare Media would acquire 53 Cumulus stations, including KKHQ-FM, for $238 million. The deal was part of Cumulus' acquisition of Dial Global; Townsquare and Dial Global are both controlled by Oaktree Capital Management. The sale to Townsquare was completed on November 14, 2013; KKHQ-FM was one of three stations (along with KCRR and KOEL-FM) that were placed in a divestiture trust for eventual resale within two years. In December 2016, the Federal Communications Commission approved Townsquare's request to reacquire the stations from the divestiture trust.
- "Official: Cumulus Buys Dial Global, Spins Some Stations To Townsquare; Peak Stations Sold To Townsquare, Fresno Spun To Cumulus". All Access. August 30, 2013. Retrieved August 30, 2013.
- "Cumulus Makes Dial Global And Townsquare Deals Official". RadioInsight. August 30, 2013. Retrieved August 30, 2013.
- "Cumulus-Townsquare-Peak Deal Closes". All Access. November 15, 2013. Retrieved November 16, 2013.
- Q92.3 KKHQ-FM official website
- Query the FCC's FM station database for KKHQ
- Radio-Locator information on KKHQ
- Query Nielsen Audio's FM station database for KKHQ
|This article about a radio station in Iowa is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|