This article needs additional citations for verification. (December 2017) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Founded||1997 (merger of KLA and Tencor)|
|Headquarters||Milpitas, California, United States|
|Edward W. Barnholt, Chairman |
Richard P. Wallace, CEO and President
|Products||Process control systems and solutions that support semiconductor, wafer, reticle and other related industries|
Number of employees
KLA Corporation (formerly KLA-Tencor Corporation) is a global capital equipment company based in Milpitas, California. It supplies process control and yield management systems for the semiconductor industry and other related nanoelectronics industries. The company's products and services are intended for all phases of wafer, reticle, integrated circuit (IC) and packaging production, from research and development to final volume manufacturing.
KLA’s products and services are used by bare wafer, IC, reticle and disk manufacturers around the world. Products and services include inline unpatterned and patterned wafer defect monitoring, review and classification; reticle defect inspection and metrology; packaging and interconnect inspection; critical dimension (CD) metrology; pattern overlay metrology; film thickness, surface topography and composition measurements; measurement of in-chamber process conditions; wafer shape and stress metrology; computational lithography tools; and, overall yield and fab-wide data management and analysis systems.
KLA-Tencor was formed in 1997 through the merger of KLA Instruments and Tencor Instruments, two companies in the semiconductor equipment and yield management systems industry. KLA Instruments was founded in 1975 by Ken Levy and Bob Anderson, and focused on defect inspection solutions. Karel Urbanek established Tencor Instruments in 1977 with an emphasis on metrology solutions, later adding John Schwabacher as cofounder.
Since the merger, which was valued at $1.3 billion, KLA-Tencor, now KLA has acquired 27 additional companies:
- 1998: • Amray, Inc. • Nanopro GmbH • Quantox product line from Keithley Instruments, Inc. • VARS • The Ultrapointe subsidiary of Uniphase Corporation
- 1999: • ACME Systems, Inc.
- 2000: • Fab Solutions, from ObjectSpace Inc. • FINLE Technologies, Inc.
- 2001: • Phase Metrics, Inc.
- 2004: • Candela Instruments, Inc. • Wafer Inspection Systems business of Inspex, Inc.
- 2006: • ADE Corporation
- 2007: • OnWafer Technologies • SensArray Corporation • Therma-Wave Corporation
- 2008: • ICOS Vision Systems Corporation NV • Microelectronic Inspection Equipment (MIE) business unit of Vistec Semiconductor Systems, Inc.
- 2010: • Ambios Technology, Inc.
- 2014: • Luminescent Technologies, Inc.
- 2017: • Zeta Technologies Co. Ltd.
- 2018: • Nano Indenter product line from Keysight Technologies • Nanomechanics Inc. • MicroVision
- 2019: • Orbotech, Ltd. • CAPRES A/S • MicroSense, LLC • Filmetrics, Inc.
On January 10, 2019, KLA-Tencor announced that they will be changing their name to KLA Corporation, and that they will adopt the tagline "Keep Looking Ahead". The name change will take full effect in July, 2019.
KLA's global operations include manufacturing, support and R&D facilities at multiple locations in the United States, Europe, Israel, Japan, and Asia/Pacific.
KLA Foundation (originally KLA-Tencor Foundation) is the company's philanthropic arm, and was founded in 2000. KLA Foundation supports and benefits the global communities in which KLA employees live and work.
- "KLA-Tencor Corporation 2018 Annual Report Form (10-K)". United States Securities and Exchange Commission. August 6, 2018.
- "KLA-Tencor Corporation 2017 Annual Report Form (10-K)". United States Securities and Exchange Commission. August 4, 2017.
- "KLA-Tencor Corporation 2016 Annual Report Form (10-K)". United States Securities and Exchange Commission. August 5, 2016.
- "KLA-Tencor Founding Executives".
- "KLA-Tencor History".
- "KLA-Tencor Corporation to Change Name to KLA Corporation to Represent the Company's Broader Scope and Optimistic Vision". January 10, 2018.
- "KLA-Tencor Foundation".
- KLA Official Website
- Business data for KLA-Tencor: