|Channels||Digital: 19 (UHF)
Virtual: 27 (PSIP)
(Entravision Holdings, LLC)
|First air date||December 1984|
|Call letters' meaning||LareDO|
|Former callsigns||KJTB (1984, construction permit)|
|Former channel number(s)||27 (UHF analog, 1984–2009)|
|Former affiliations||ABC (1984–1988)
|Transmitter power||50 kW|
|Public license information:||Profile
KLDO-TV is a Spanish-language television station in Laredo, Texas, broadcasting locally on digital channel 19 (VC 27) as an affiliate of Univision. Founded February 14, 1984, the station is owned by Entravision.
KLDO signed on in December 1984 as an ABC affiliate owned by Panorama Broadcasting, making Laredo one of the last markets with full network service. However, the station found the going difficult. Laredo was just barely large enough for three television stations, and its close proximity to the Mexican border limited its potential audience. It didn't help matters that KSAT-TV in San Antonio was available on cable.
The station switched to Telemundo on October 31, 1988. It became the first all-Spanish station on the American side of the Laredo/Nuevo Laredo area. Laredo would not regain an ABC affiliate until July 2014, when KGNS-TV added the network on a digital subchannel; in the interim, most cable systems piped in KSAT or Corpus Christi's KIII.
Entravision bought the station in 1997. The following year, following the openings of TV Azteca stations XHLAT (Azteca 7) and XHLNA (Azteca 13), Entravision changed KLDO's affiliation to Univision; Telemundo at the time used to get most of its programming from TV Azteca (though most of its programming did not air until months later), and most of Entravision's stations are affiliated with Univision.
KLDO also carries LATV programming on its digital signal, on subchannel 27.2; ZUUS Latino Spanish music video programming on its digital subchannel 27.3 since March 2013. In September 2013, the station stopped broadcasting ZUUS Latino programming.
|Channel||Video||Aspect||PSIP short name||Programming|
|27.1||1080i||16:9||KLDO-DT||Main KLDO programming / Univision|
As an ABC affiliate, KLDO produced English-language newscasts branded as Laredo Eyewitness News, competing against KGNS-TV and KVTV. Until February 28, 2018, the station produced Spanish-language newscasts, branded as Noticias Univision 27; the KLDO news operation was discontinued in favor of a regional newscast produced out of McAllen sister station KNVO.
- Alma Ferrara - Lead Anchor
- Miguel Amante- Anchor
- Perla Montemayor - Lead Weather Anchor
- David Miguel - Lead Sports Anchor
- The Broadcasting and Cable Yearbook says December 17, while the Television and Cable Factbook says December 18.
- "ABC affiliate in Laredo, Texas, switches to Telemundo Spanish language network" (Press release). Telemundo Group. October 20, 1988. Retrieved April 28, 2011. (subscription content preview)
- Villafañe, Veronica (March 1, 2018). "Entravision shuts down Univision Laredo newscast, lays off staff". Media Moves. Retrieved March 12, 2018.
- Official website
- Query the FCC's TV station database for KLDO
- BIAfn's Media Web Database -- Information on KLDO-TV
|This article about a television station in Texas is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|