|Broadcast area||Greater St. Louis|
|Slogan||"Music. Faith. Community."|
|Frequency||99.1 MHz FM (HD Radio)|
|Repeater(s)||HD-2: 101.9 MHz K270BW|
|First air date||1948|
|HAAT||309 meters (1,014 ft)|
|Call sign meaning||Keep Living JoY|
|Former call signs||KFUO-FM|
|Owner||Gateway Creative Broadcasting, Inc.|
KLJY (branded as Joy FM) is a commercial-free contemporary Christian radio station serving the Greater St. Louis area. KLJY, licensed to Clayton, Missouri, operates at 99.1 MHz. It is transmitted with an effective radiated power of 100 kW. Its transmitter is located in Shrewsbury, while their studios are located in Des Peres. In addition to broadcasting music, the station also sponsors community service events and activities throughout the St. Louis area.
Joy FM was founded by former WCBW employee Sandi Brown after that station was sold in 1997. The creators decided from the beginning the new station would be a non-commercial, listener supported station so it could "never be sold." At the beginning, Joy FM had two rimshot stations operating at 94.1 (KPVR) and 97.7 (KHZR) FM.
In March 2010, Gateway Creative Broadcasting bought KFUO-FM, operating at 99.1 FM, with the sale approved by the FCC in May. A controversy from the beginning, the sale enraged local Classical music fans, due to the loss of the only remaining St. Louis radio station devoted completely to Classical music. KFUO-FM was shut off on July 6. The new owners began broadcasting Joy FM on July 7 at 7 AM. After the sale, to increase the awareness of the new signal, bumper stickers and billboards of the new "99.1 Joy FM" insignia appeared throughout the St Louis region, prompting tremendous growth of listenership versus the old station.
The 94.1 signal was leased out in 2010, but has since resumed broadcasting the same signal feed as 97.7 and 99.1 (HD2) FM.
- "With new radio signal, Christian music fans jump for JOY". stltoday.com.
- "Why is JOY FM listener supported?". Joy FM website.
- "Classical music fans enraged by shift to Christian format". Religious News Service.
- "St. Louis' "Classic 99" ends 62 years in the format tonight with Beethoven's 9th". Radio-Info.com. July 6, 2010. Archived from the original on March 22, 2012.
- "KFUO:Gateway Creative Broadcasting announces takeover date". stltoday.com. Archived from the original on 6 July 2010. Retrieved 6 August 2018.
- Official website for Joy FM
- KLJY in the FCC's FM station database
- KLJY on Radio-Locator
- KLJY in Nielsen Audio's FM station database