|City||Pequot Lakes, Minnesota|
|Broadcast area||Brainerd Lakes Area|
|Slogan||Local News Sports And Talk|
|First air date||2002 (as WZFJ)|
|Callsign meaning||K-LaKeS (previous branding)|
|Former callsigns||WZFJ (2002–2012)|
|Owner||Jimmy D. Birkemeyer |
(R & J Broadcasting, Inc.)
KLKS was built in 1983 by Allen Gray, who has a broadcasting career of 60 years. He was inducted into the Museum of Broadcasting Hall of Fame in 2001. The station, at the time operating on 104.3 FM in Breezy Point, had a full service programming format.
In June 2012, it was announced that KLKS was being sold by Lakes Broadcasting Group, Inc. to Minnesota Christian Broadcasters. That transaction was consummated on September 11, 2012, at a purchase price of $350,000. According to FCC filings, however, the station continued to operate commercially.
On September 12, 2012 KLKS swapped frequencies with WZFJ (100.1 FM). 104.3 adopted the contemporary Christian format that had been aired on 100.1, branded as The Pulse, while 100.1 KLKS went silent.
On March 21, 2013, KLKS was purchased by Red Rock Radio Corp.; the transaction, at a purchase price of $250,000, was consummated on August 1, 2013. This made KLKS the sixth station in the area for Red Rock Radio.
On August 9, 2013, KLKS returned to the air with a classic hits format, branded as The Wave. This format and branding was later dropped in the fall of 2014 when the station adopted a talk radio format under the branding Talk 100.
- Saxe, Frank; Heine, Paul (14 September 2012). "Inside Radio" (PDF). Inside Radio. p. 3. Retrieved 23 November 2014.
- Pierce, Jessi (13 August 2012). "KLKS Sale Moves Along". Brainerd Dispatch.
- Saxe, Frank; Heine, Paul (22 March 2013). "Inside Radio" (PDF). Inside Radio. p. 3. Retrieved 23 November 2014.
- Venta, Lance (September 16, 2016). "Red Rock Radio Continues Sell-Off With Two Deals". RadioInsight. Retrieved April 20, 2017.
- "Consummation Notice". CDBS Public Access. Federal Communications Commission. December 22, 2016. Retrieved April 20, 2017.
- Query the FCC's FM station database for KLKS
- Radio-Locator information on KLKS
- Query Nielsen Audio's FM station database for KLKS
|This article about a radio station in Minnesota is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|