|Broadcast area||Des Moines metropolitan area|
|Slogan||Soft & Refreshing|
|Frequency||104.1 MHz (also on HD Radio)|
|First air date||1967 (as KLFM)|
Christmas music (Nov.-Dec.)
|HAAT||308 meters (1,010 ft)|
|Former callsigns||KLFM (1967-1981)|
|Owner||Saga Communications |
(Saga Communications of Iowa, LLC)
|Sister stations||KAZR, KPSZ, KIOA, KRNT, KSTZ|
KMYR (104.1 MHz, "More 104.1") is a commercial FM radio station broadcasting an adult contemporary music format. Licensed to Ames, Iowa, United States, the station serves the Des Moines metropolitan area. The station is currently owned by Saga Communications. Its transmitter is located near Woodward.
The station originally signed on the air on June 2, 1967 as KLFM. It was owned by Paul D. Lunde and was branded as "KLFM Stereo - Ames; Central Iowa's first 24-hour FM station." It aired a beautiful music format with ABC FM Radio Network news at 15 minutes after the hour.
In 1981, it became KEZT with a soft adult contemporary format. With the switch to KEZT, there were no more beautiful music/easy listening stations in central Iowa.
In 1997, the station was purchased by Saga Communications, was rebranded as "Lite 104.1 KLTI," and the studios were moved to their current location at 1416 Locust Street in Des Moines.
On March 3, 2014, the station rebranded to move away from the Soft AC format to a more upbeat Adult Contemporary sound. The call sign was changed to KMYR and the station was renamed "MORE 104," later expanded to the current "MORE 104.1."
Current On-Air Staff
- Jay Wells - weekdays 5:00 AM–9:00 AM
- Kate Garner - weekdays 9:00 AM–3:00 PM
- Scott Allen - weekdays 3:00 PM–6:00 PM
- Luke Matthews - weekdays 6:00 PM-Midnight
- Mariah - weekends
Each holiday season since 1998, KMYR drops its regular music format and plays continuous Christmas music through Christmas Day. The station traditionally flips to Christmas music prior to Thanksgiving. Currently, KMYR is the only commercial-licensed non-religious station in the Des Moines market to devote its entire playlist to the holiday format.
Other stations in the Des Moines market attempted to compete with KMYR in playing the Christmas format. KPTL (now KDXA) in 2013 and KMXD (now KDRB) in 2004, both owned by Clear Channel Communications (now iHeartMedia) flipped to all-Christmas music for a single year but did not continue in subsequent years.
- "Station Information Profile". Arbitron. Winter 2010. Archived from the original on 2010-03-01. Retrieved 2010-02-18.
- "KMYR Facility Record". United States Federal Communications Commission, audio division. Retrieved 2010-02-18.
- Broadcasting Yearbook 1969 page B-62
- "Lite 104.1 Des Moines Shows Off More" from Radio Insight (March 3, 2014)
- Official website
- Query the FCC's FM station database for KMYR
- Radio-Locator information on KMYR
- Query Nielsen Audio's FM station database for KMYR
|This article about a radio station in Iowa is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|