Madison County Executive Airport
|Madison County Executive Airport
Tom Sharp Jr. Field
NAIP aerial image, 2006
|Owner||Madison County Executive Airport Authority|
|Elevation AMSL||756 ft / 230 m|
Madison County Executive Airport (ICAO: KMDQ, FAA LID: MDQ, formerly M82), also known as Tom Sharp Jr. Field, is a public-use airport in Madison County, Alabama, United States. It is owned by the Madison County Executive Airport Authority and located eight nautical miles (14.80 km) northeast of the central business district of Huntsville. According to the FAA's National Plan of Integrated Airport Systems for 2009–2013, it is categorized as a general aviation facility.
Although most U.S. airports use the same three-letter location identifier for the FAA and IATA, Madison County Executive Airport is assigned MDQ by the FAA but has no designation from the IATA (which assigned MDQ to Mar del Plata, Argentina).
Facilities and aircraft
The airport covers an area of 485 acres (196 ha) at an elevation of 756 feet (230 m) above mean sea level. It has one runway designated 18/36 with an asphalt surface measuring 6,500 by 100 feet (1,981 x 30 m). A 1,500-foot runway extension opened July 1, 2013.
For the 12-month period ending April 16, 2009, the airport had 34,260 aircraft operations, an average of 93 per day: 93% general aviation, 5% air taxi, and 2% military. At that time there were 102 aircraft based at this airport: 82% single-engine, 9% multi-engine, 2% jet and 67% helicopter.
- FAA Airport Master Record for MDQ ( PDF). Federal Aviation Administration. Effective 3 June 2010.
- Madison County Executive Airport Authority, official site
- National Plan of Integrated Airport Systems for 2009–2013: Appendix A: Part 1 (PDF, 1.33 MB) Archived 2011-08-06 at the Wayback Machine.. Federal Aviation Administration. Updated 15 October 2008.
- Great Circle Mapper: KMDQ - Huntsville, Alabama (Madison County Executive Airport)
- Great Circle Mapper: MDQ / SAZM - Mar del Plata, Argentina
- Executive Flight Center, Inc., the airport's fixed-base operator (FBO)
- Aerial image as of 23 March 2002 from USGS The National Map
- Airfield photos for M82 from Civil Air Patrol
- FAA Terminal Procedures for MDQ, effective July 20, 2017
- AC-U-KWIK information for KMDQ
- Resources for this airport: