KMG (Killen Music Group) Records was a Christian record label. The label was established in 1997 by Buddy Killen as a subunit of the Killen Music Group / Buddy Killen Enterprises and sold in late 1998 to Cal Turner III, who is related to the Cal Turner of Dollar General stores. Following the sale Buddy Killen continued to consult for the firm.
The Killen Music Group also operated several other including Damascus Road Records, Praise Hymn Soundtracks, Sound Performance Soundtracks and Psalm 150 music. Damascus Road was pop oriented, and released albums by Morgan Cryar, Rhonda Gunn, Identical Strangers, and Dave Kauffman.
Notable management include Terry Scott Taylor (A&R 1997-1999), Billy Smiley (A&R 1999 - 2002, formerly of White Heart), Kevin Jackson (formerly of the band Chase and Dajhelon Entertainment Group), David Bahnsen (formerly of Tooth & Nail), and Frank Chimento (formerly of 7ball magazine).
In addition to its own portfolio of artists KMG acquired the assets of Frontline Records, whose catalog consisted of a large number of classic Alternative Christian Music bands. KMG began re-releasing many of these albums as double-disc sets. The re-releases had covers which were described as generic, and contained only the cover images of the album inset around a purple background. Inside was a one-page description of the band, and the albums contained no extended or tribute material.
Artists who released original, unreleased material through KMG include:
- According to John
- Rick Altizer
- American Made
- Ric Blair
- Bunch of Believers
- Lanny Cordola
- Andy Denton
- Every Day Life (EDL)
- Gospel Gangstaz
- Heather Miller
- The Insyderz
- Michael Knott (as Browbeats)
- Poor Old Lu
- The Straw Theory
- Terry Scott Taylor
- Flippo, Chet (1998-06-20). "Nashville Scene: Buddy Killen Sells Kmg To Cal Turner Iii; Gibson Guitars Acquires Caffe Milano". Billboard Magazine.
- Warren, Lindy (1997-11-03). "Killen Music Group Acquires Frontline". CCM Update. OCLC 22937802.
- Well, Chris (May–June 1998). "News". 7ball (18): 20. ISSN 1082-3980.
- "Company Profile: KMG Records". Profile (7): 53–55. August–September 1999. OCLC 44918990.
- Brown, Bruce A. (February 1998). "Rock n Roll World / Sound The Alarma". CCM Magazine. 20 (8): 10.
- Van Pelt, Doug (January–February 1999). "Reviews / Various artists Classic Archives". HM Magazine (75): 68. ISSN 1066-6923. Cite error: Invalid
<ref>tag; name "HM_99_75" defined multiple times with different content (see the help page).
- Powell, Mark Allan (2002). "Browbeats". Encyclopedia of Contemporary Christian Music (First printing ed.). Peabody, Massachusetts: Hendrickson Publishers. p. 115. ISBN 1-56563-679-1.