|City of license||Rapid City, South Dakota|
|Branding||Kat Country 98.7"|
|Slogan||"The Black Hills Favorite Country"|
|Translator(s)||102.3 K272CS (Spearfish)
50 watts (FM translator)
|HAAT||141 meters (463 feet)|
(sale to HomeSlice Media Group pending)
(Rushmore Media Company, Inc.)
|Sister stations||KFXS, KKMK, KRCS, KOTA-TV|
KOUT (98.7 FM, "Kat Country 98.7") is a radio station licensed to serve Rapid City, South Dakota. The station is owned by Schurz Communications through its Rushmore Media Company subsidiary. It airs a country music format.
Notable on-air personalities include "Sam Adams in the Morning", Dean Taylor on mid-days, Mark Houston, the last original Kat Country personality, on afternoons, and syndicated host Lia on evenings.
In May 1999, Triad Broadcasting reached a deal to acquire this station from Brothers Jim and Tom Instad as part of a twelve-station deal valued at a reported $37.8 million.
In July 2006, Schurz Communications Inc. reached an agreement to buy this station from Triad Broadcasting Co. as part of a six-station deal valued at a reported $19 million. Schurz Communications created the Black Hills broadcast division, New Rushmore Radio, now known as Rushmore Media Company, Inc.
Schurz Communications announced on September 14, 2015 that it would exit broadcasting and sell its television and radio stations, including KOUT, to Gray Television for $442.5 million. Though Gray initially intended to keep Schurz' radio stations, on November 2, it announced that HomeSlice Media Group would acquire KOUT and the other Rushmore Media Company radio stations for $2.2 million; the deal reunites the stations with KBHB and KKLS, which HomeSlice acquired from Schurz in 2014 following its purchase of KOTA-TV.
- "Station Information Profile". Arbitron.
- "Call Sign History". FCC Media Bureau CDBS Public Access Database.
- Holmes, Alisa (1999-05-24). "Changing Hands". Broadcasting & Cable.
- "Deals". Broadcasting & Cable. 2006-07-24.
- "Schurz Communications to sell WSBT and other TV, radio stations". South Bend Tribune. September 14, 2015. Retrieved September 14, 2015.
- Kuperberg, Jonathan (September 14, 2015). "Gray Acquiring TV, Radio Stations from Schurz for $442.5 Million". Broadcasting & Cable. Retrieved September 14, 2015.
- "Gray Sells Radio Stations From Schurz Deal". TVNewsCheck. November 2, 2015. Retrieved November 2, 2015.
- Venta, Lance (November 2, 2015). "Gray Television Divests Schurz Clusters To Three Buyers". RadioInsight. Retrieved November 2, 2015.
- "HomeSlice Group purchases four Rapid City radio stations". Meade County Times-Tribune. November 2, 2015. Retrieved November 2, 2015.
- "HomeSlice Media Group purchases four Rapid City radio stations". Rapid City Journal. Retrieved 2015-11-05.
- KOUT official website
- Query the FCC's FM station database for KOUT
- Radio-Locator information on KOUT
- Query Nielsen Audio's FM station database for KOUT
|This article about a radio station in South Dakota is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|