|Broadcast area||Seattle metropolitan area|
|Slogan||Jazz, Blues and NPR News|
|Frequency||88.5 MHz FM (also on HD Radio) 88.5-2 FM Jazz "Jazz24"|
|First air date||1966 (as KPLU-FM)|
|HAAT||707 meters (2,320 ft)|
|Former callsigns||KPLU-FM (1966–2016)|
|Owner||Friends of 88.5 FM|
|Webcast||KNKX Web Player AAC+ PLS
Jazz24 Webstream (HD2)
KNKX (88.5 MHz) is a news and jazz format National Public Radio member community-owned station in Tacoma, Washington, United States. The station is owned by Friends of 88.5 FM, a community based non-profit group, and was established in 1966 by Pacific Lutheran University (PLU). It is one of three full NPR members in the Seattle area, the others being KUOW-FM and KVTI, an outlet of Northwest Public Radio (though KVTI can't be heard in most of Snohomish County, Washington because of interference from KSER).
Founded on November 16, 1966 as KPLU-FM, KNKX broadcasts from West Tiger Mountain in the Issaquah Alps with a power of 68,000 watts. Studios are located in both Tacoma and Seattle. KNKX plays a variety of NPR programs, including All Things Considered, Car Talk, and Morning Edition. The locally produced BirdNote airs every morning. KNKX is known for its jazz programing and regional news coverage. Those who listen online can choose either a regular station feed, or listen to Jazz24, a 24/7 free online jazz station.
On November 12, 2015, PLU announced its intention to sell the station to the University of Washington, which also operates KUOW. The Seattle Times noted that PLU spokeswoman Donna Gibbs denied reports that the sale was motivated by financial problems at PLU, although in September 2015 Standard & Poor's had reduced PLU's bond-rating status from BBB to BBB- with a forecast of "negative." On November 23, the KPLU advisory board voted unanimously to oppose the sale. KPLU was announced to be officially bought by KUOW, but by December, "public outcry" encouraged license owners to negotiate with community based non-profit group Friends of 88.5 to raise $7,000,000. As of May 26, 2016, some 17,000 supporters met the goal; Friends of 88.5 began negotiating with PLU to purchase the station.
On August 12, 2016, it was announced that the station would adopt the new call letters KNKX (pronounced as "connects"). The new call letters went into effect when the station officially changed hands from Pacific Lutheran University to Friends of 88.5 on August 30, 2016
KNKX is also carried on the following satellite and broadcast translator stations to improve reception of the station:
- KPLK 88.9 FM Sedro-Woolley
- KVIX 89.3 FM Port Angeles
- KPLI 90.1 FM Olympia
- K204BI 88.7 FM Bellingham
- K211AP 90.1 FM Centralia
- K212AG 90.3 FM Raymond
- K221FR 92.1 FM West Seattle
- K244EV 96.7 FM Woodland
- K265DP 100.9 FM Aberdeen
- K284BM 104.7 FM Longview
- K288GG 105.5 FM Mount Vernon
The West Seattle translator serves portions of Seattle that are shielded from the main KNKX signal.
- Falk, Tyler (May 9, 2016). "Future of KPLU's popular jazz stream hinges on fundraising campaign". Current. Retrieved August 31, 2016.
- "Radio KPLU To Begin Broadcasting". Morning Mast. XLIV (7). Pacific Lutheran University. November 11, 1966. p. 1. Retrieved August 31, 2016.
- KUOW Staff. "PLU Says It Intends To Sell KPLU 88.5 FM To KUOW Public Radio". KUOW. Retrieved November 12, 2015.
- Kiley, Brendan (November 23, 2015). "'A kick in the teeth': KPLU advisory board opposes sale to KUOW". The Seattle Times. Retrieved November 24, 2015.
- "Supporters of Tacoma-based KPLU reach $7 million mark in bid to buy station". The Olympian. Retrieved June 8, 2016.
- Connelly, Joel (August 12, 2016). "Listener-rescued KPLU public radio dons new call letters—KNKX". Seattle Post-Intelligencer. Retrieved August 31, 2016.
- Kiley, Brendan (August 31, 2016). "KPLU officially begins broadcasting as KNKX". The Seattle Times. Retrieved August 31, 2016.
- Official website
- Query the FCC's FM station database for KNKX
- Radio-Locator information on KNKX
- Query Nielsen Audio's FM station database for KNKX
- Query the FCC's FM station database for KPLI
- Radio-Locator information on KPLI
- Query Nielsen Audio's FM station database for KPLI
- Query the FCC's FM station database for KPLK
- Radio-Locator information on KPLK
- Query Nielsen Audio's FM station database for KPLK
- Query the FCC's FM station database for KVIX
- Radio-Locator information on KVIX
- Query Nielsen Audio's FM station database for KVIX
- Query the FCC's FM station database for K204BI
- Radio-Locator information on K204BI
- Query the FCC's FM station database for K211AP
- Radio-Locator information on K211AP
- Query the FCC's FM station database for K212AG
- Radio-Locator information on K212AG
- Query the FCC's FM station database for K215DP
- Radio-Locator information on K215DP
- Query the FCC's FM station database for K221FR
- Radio-Locator information on K221FR
- Query the FCC's FM station database for K244EV
- Radio-Locator information on K244EV
- Query the FCC's FM station database for K265DP
- Radio-Locator information on K265DP
- Query the FCC's FM station database for K284BM
- Radio-Locator information on K284BM
- Query the FCC's FM station database for K288GG
- Radio-Locator information on K288GG