KPL Top 8 Cup
The official logo of the tournament.
|Number of teams||8|
|Current champions||Muhoroni Youth
|Most successful club(s)||Gor Mahia
(2 titles each)
|Television broadcasters||SuperSport 9|
|2017 KPL Top 8 Cup|
The KPL Top 8 Cup (also known as the KPL Top 8 Knockout, the KPL Top 8 Knockout Cup or simply the Top 8 Knockout, the Top 8 Cup or the Kenyan Top 8 Cup) is a Kenyan football championship contested by the top eight teams of the preceding Kenyan Premier League (KPL) season. The inaugural edition of the tournament took place in 2011, with Ulinzi Stars as the winners.
The tournament is played in both a single-elimination and double-elimination format. It begins with the quarter-finals, where teams play against each other once. In the semi-finals, teams play each other in two matches and the team with more goals on aggregate advances to the final, which is played once. No third place playoff is played.
The winners of the tournament receive a total sum of Ksh. 1,000,000 as prize money, although appeals to the Football Kenya Federation have been made to increase the sum as gate collections in the tournament surpass the prize money amount.
Finals by year
|Year||Team 1||Pos.||Score||Team 2||Pos.||Ref|
|2011||Ulinzi Stars||1st||2−1||Western Stima||8th|||
|2012||Ulinzi Stars||2nd||0−2||Gor Mahia||4th|||
|2013||Thika United||5th||2−2 (3–5 p)||Tusker||1st|||
|2015||Sony Sugar||6th||1–2 (a.e.t.)||Gor Mahia||1st|||
|2016||Muhoroni Youth||6th||1–0||Gor Mahia||1st|||
- "Ulinzi clinch 'Top 8' prize on eve of trip to Cecafa". Nairobi, Kenya: KPL.co.ke. 26 June 2011. Retrieved 15 April 2012.
- "Bwana laments cash prize for Top 8 winner". Nairobi, Kenya: Futaa.com. 21 April 2012. Retrieved 22 April 2012.
- "Kenya - Top 8 Cup: Ulinzi Stars - Western Stima (25/06-2011 kl. 15:00)". Nairobi, Kenya: Futaa.com. 25 June 2011. Retrieved 16 April 2012.
- "Kenya - Top 8 Cup: Ulinzi Stars - Gor Mahia (19/08-2012 kl. 15:30)". Nairobi, Kenya: Futaa.com. 19 August 2012. Retrieved 20 August 2012.
- Jeff Kinyanjui (24 July 2013). "Tusker win 2013 KPL Top 8 title". Nairobi, Kenya: Futaa.com. Retrieved 28 July 2013.
- Jeff Kinyanjui (15 June 2014). "Tusker FC retains the KPL Top 8 title". Nairobi, Kenya: Futaa.com. Retrieved 20 June 2014.
- Chrisphine Magak (7 November 2015). "KPL Top 8: Gor toils through rocky SoNy to clinch title". Futaa.com. Retrieved 12 November 2015.
- Collins Amanga (16 October 2016). "KPL Top 8: Muho stuns Gor Mahia to lift historic title". Futaa.com. Retrieved 20 November 2016.