|City||Des Moines, Iowa|
|Broadcast area||Des Moines area|
|Branding||ESPN Des Moines|
|Translator(s)||102.1 FM K271CO (Des Moines)|
|First air date||1925|
|Callsign meaning||Des Moines Register aNd Tribune (founding owners)|
|Former frequencies||1320 kHz (1935-1941)|
|Owner||Saga Communications of Iowa, LLC|
|Sister stations||KAZR, KPSZ, KIOA, KMYR, KSTZ|
KRNT (1350 AM) is a radio station broadcasting a sports format. Serving the Des Moines, Iowa, USA area, the station is licensed to Saga Communications of Iowa, LLC and features programming from ESPN Radio along with Chicago Cubs baseball broadcasts and Drake University sports programming. The station won a Peabody Award in 1945 for outstanding reporting of news. The station also broadcasts on 102.1 FM via translator K271CO, licensed to Des Moines.
KSO, located at 1370 AM, moved from Clarinda, Iowa into Des Moines in 1932. On March 17, 1935, the station officially became KRNT and moved to 1320 AM (KWCR moved from Cedar Rapids, Iowa that same year and adopted the KSO call sign, also effective March 17, 1935). At that time, both stations were owned and operated by subsidiary corporations of the Des Moines Register-Tribune. KRNT moved to the current 1350 AM frequency in 1941.
For years, KRNT carried an adult standards format, supplemented by sports programming (most notably the Chicago Cubs and Drake University athletics). In 2015, the adult standards format was moved to sister station KAZR's HD2 subchannel and translator K283CC 104.5 FM. KRNT was rebranded ESPN Des Moines as it became the market's ESPN Radio affiliate.
In addition to ESPN programming, KRNT serves as the broadcast outlet for several sports teams:
- Drake University athletics (football, men's and women's basketball)
- Chicago Cubs baseball
- Green Bay Packers football
- "KRNT Facility Record". United States Federal Communications Commission, audio division.
- "Change in Iowa Calls" (PDF). Broadcasting. April 1, 1935. Retrieved 19 October 2014.
- Query the FCC's AM station database for KRNT
- Radio-Locator Information on KRNT
- Query Nielsen Audio's AM station database for KRNT
- Query the FCC's FM station database for K271CO
- Radio-Locator information on K271CO
- FCC History Cards for KRNT
|This article about a radio station in Iowa is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|