|City of license||Gladstone, Oregon|
|Broadcast area||northern Willamette Valley and Clark County, Washington|
|First air date||May 10, 1981 (as KAST-FM at 92.9 in Astoria)
January 2006 (as KTRO-FM at 93.1)
|Callsign meaning||El ReY Portland|
|Former frequencies||92.9 MHz (1981-2006, in Astoria, Oregon)|
|Owner||Salem Media Group|
|Sister stations||KFIS, KPDQ, KPDQ-FM|
KRYP is a commercial broadcast FM radio station located in the Portland, Oregon area and owned by the Salem Media Group. KRYP is a Spanish language station playing regional Mexican music (a mix of genres such as Banda, Ranchera, Mariachi and Norteña).
KRYP took on its current callsign and radio format during the two-week period starting on March 28, 2007. From early 2006 to April 11, 2007 the station was known as KTRO, and featured a talk radio format.
KTRO-FM came into existence through a complicated deal that involved five owners of radio stations in Oregon and featured both signal downgrades and frequency migrations. It started when Salem Communications bought the FM signal from New Northwest Broadcasters in 2005, who had operated it as KAST-FM on 92.9 in Astoria, Oregon. To make room on the Portland dial, KPDQ-FM, also owned by Salem, moved from 93.7 to 93.9 and downgraded its broadcast station class from C to C2. McKenzie River Broadcasting's KKNU on 93.1 and licensed to Springfield, moved to 93.3. Bay Cities Building's KDCQ on 93.5 and licensed to Coos Bay, moved to 92.9. Meanwhile, Oregon Eagle's KTIL-FM on 94.1 and licensed to Tillamook, moved to 94.3. New Northwest's own 94.3 licensed to Long Beach, Washington/Astoria, picked up the KAST-FM callsign and format from the original 92.9 to 99.7.
Salem Communication, which normally "target[s] audiences interested in Christian and family-themed content and conservative values", brought in José Santos of Santos Latin Media, former program director of KLVE in Los Angeles, to consult on its change to a Regional Mexican format.
Program Director: Carlos Tovias
- Our History/Our Content from the Univision Radio website
- Latest Arbs: El Rey Is King from Oregon Media Insiders
- El Rey/Portland Makes History from the Radio & Records website
- [http://sec.edgar-online.com/2006/03/31/0001050606-06-000053/Section2.asp 10-K filed with the SEC by Salem Communications Corp on 3/31/2006 from Edgar Online
- Five Portland Owners Shuffle Signals to Add KTRO, a February 2, 2006 Radio Monitor article via allbusiness.com
- Overview from the Salem Communications website
- NAB Radio Show Session Features Top Program Directors from the National Association of Broadcasters website
- Query the FCC's FM station database for KRYP
- Radio-Locator information on KRYP
- Query Nielsen Audio's FM station database for KRYP