|City||San Jose, California|
|Broadcast area||San Francisco Bay Area|
|Slogan||Radio in Your Language|
|First air date||1948|
|Power||10,000 watts day
5,000 watts night
|Former callsigns||KXRX (1948–1982)
(Multicultural Radio Broadcasting Licensee, LLC)
|Sister stations||KEST, KIQI|
KSJX (1500 AM) is a radio station broadcasting a Vietnamese format. Licensed to San Jose, California, the station serves the San Francisco Bay Area. The station is currently owned by Multicultural Radio Broadcasting Licensee, LLC.
AM 1500 signed on in 1948 with the call letters KXRX and 1,000 watts of power. On September 7, 1982, KXRX became KHTT and later switched from a news format to middle of the road music. KHTT began carrying Santa Clara University and San Jose State University men's basketball games in the 1985–86 season. By 1986, KHTT switched to 1960s oldies. In 1987, KHTT won the rights to live San Jose State football broadcasts; in the previous season, San Jose State football radio affiliate KCBS carried most games on tape delay due to conflicts with Stanford football games.
On March 1, 1989, the station picked up its current call letters KSJX and a business news format. Rival station KLIV picked up the rights to San Jose State football and men's basketball beginning in the 1991–92 season. In 1992, KSJX began carrying Vietnamese programming.
On October 9, 2010, a fire started in vegetation near the building where KSJX is based. It soon engulfed the radio station, destroying it, and also took out KZSF, a Mexican language radio station that is based at the same transmitter. The fire also caused the evacuation of a Kellogg's factory nearby.
- "KSJX Facility Record". United States Federal Communications Commission, audio division. Retrieved 2010-07-18.
- "KXRX San Jose On Air At 1550 kc, Fulltime" (PDF) (August 16, 1948). Broadcasting. p. 62.
- Call sign history
- "Radio Stations". SAILDART.org. January 29, 1981. Archived from the original on June 13, 2017. Retrieved July 13, 2017.
- "Radio Stations". SAILDART.org. May 27, 1984. Archived from the original on June 13, 2017. Retrieved July 13, 2017.
- Fleser, Dan (October 23, 1985). "SCU basketball on the air". San Jose Mercury News. p. 11D.
- "San Jose State's remaining games to be on KHTT". San Jose Mercury News. December 10, 1985. p. 2D.
- "Radio Stations". SAILDART.org. Archived from the original on June 13, 2017. Retrieved July 13, 2017.
- Antonucci, Mike (March 18, 1987). "SJS, KHTT close to deal for live football coverage". San Jose Mercury News. p. 6E.
- Weimers, Leigh (February 17, 1989). "Technology's really foreign to some folks". San Jose Mercury News. p. 1C.
- "Good news, bad news in SJS radio switch". San Jose Mercury News. April 30, 1991. p. 2C.
- "Fire consumes San Jose radio station". San Francisco Peninsula Press Club. October 9, 2010. Retrieved July 13, 2017.
- FCC History Cards for KSJX
- Official website
- Query the FCC's AM station database for KSJX
- Radio-Locator Information on KSJX
- Query Nielsen Audio's AM station database for KSJX
|This article about a radio station in California is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|