From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to: navigation, search
Topeka, Kansas
United States
Channels Digital: 12 (VHF)
Virtual: 12 (PSIP)
Subchannels 12.1 The Country Network
Affiliations TCN (2012–present)
Owner KSQA Television Group
(Barbara Wade (51%)
Cooper-Fowler Media (49%)

First air date September 29, 2011; 4 years ago (2011-09-29)
Former channel number(s) Virtual:
22 (UHF, 2011–2013)
Former affiliations Independent (2011–2012)
Transmitter power 4.2 kW (digital)
Height 65.9 m
Facility ID 166546
Transmitter coordinates 39°02′56.0″N 95°40′32.0″W / 39.048889°N 95.675556°W / 39.048889; -95.675556
Licensing authority FCC
Public license information: Profile

KSQA, virtual and VHF digital channel 12, is a The Country Network-affiliated television station located in Topeka, Kansas, United States. The station is owned by KSQA, LLC, a joint venture between Barbara Wade (who owns a controlling 51% interest) and Cooper-Fowler Media (which owns the remaining 49%). KSQA maintains offices and transmitter facilities located on Jackson Street in southwest Topeka.

On cable, the station is available on Cox Communications channel 12 in standard definition; KSQA is not currently available on AT&T U-verse, DirecTV and Dish Network within the Topeka market.


The station first signed on the air on September 29, 2011, originally maintaining a non-commercial format featuring programming focusing on African American history. It was founded by Barbara Wade, Sheila Robertson and Gregory Talley (the latter of whom serves as the station's operations manager – with the latter two partners under their holding company, Cooper-Fowler Media, each owning 24.5% interests).[1] The decision by the ownership group behind KSQA, LLC to broadcast the station on VHF channel 12 resulted in complaints by CBS affiliate WIBW-TV (channel 13) as after the station signed on, KSQA's over-the-air digital signal began to interfere with WIBW's Cox Communications analog cable slot on the provider's Topeka service area, which broadcast on the same frequency.[2]

Immediately upon its sign-on, KSQA, LLC invoked an option to receive must-carry status to make it mandatorily available on Cox Communications. On June 13, 2012, the Wade/Robertson/Talley ownership group filed a complaint with the Federal Communications Commission (FCC) to invoke a must-carry request for Cox to put the station on channel 12. Although it agreed it must add KSQA to its lineup, the cable provider had chosen to deny the station's channel placement request after the parties could not reach agreement on the ground that KSQA broadcast its PSIP channel on channel 22, and therefore was not entitled to be placed on cable channel 12; Cox also informed KSQA, LLC that it preferred not to move WIBW-TV off its existing channel slot to replace it with KSQA, with corporate attorneys overseeing the dispute stating that the station's owners ignored must-carry channel placement regulations and rulings that came about after the digital television transition.[3]

On August 1, 2012, the station became a primary affiliate of country music video service The Country Network. On October 19, 2012, the FCC denied KSQA, LLC's complaint on the same basis that Cox Communications cited in its denial in the channel 12 placement request, stating that the agency's must-carry rules only apply to a station's PSIP virtual channel; for this reason, KSQA subsequently filed a request with the FCC to waive its use of channel 22 as its PSIP major channel and move it to channel 12 to match its physical VHF channel.[4][5] Cox eventually moved WIBW-TV to channel 13 on March 14, 2013, following the FCC's granting of KSQA's major channel waiver, with KSQA taking over the channel 12 slot; the move effectively alleviated the station's interference issues with WIBW.[6]

Digital television[edit]

Digital channels[edit]

The station's digital signal is multiplexed:

Channel Video Aspect PSIP Short Name Programming[7]
12.1 480i 4:3 KSQA-DT The Country Network


  1. ^ "APPLICATION FOR CONSTRUCTION PERMIT FOR COMMERCIAL BROADCAST STATION". Federal Communications Commission. February 17, 2011. 
  2. ^ Josh Mabry (October 27, 2011). "COX Cable Says Ch 12 Interference Will Continue In Topeka". WIBW-TV. Gray Television. 
  3. ^ Bill Blankenship (July 22, 2012). "Cox, new TV station at odds over Channel 12". The Topeka Capital-Journal. Morris Communications. Retrieved August 13, 2015. 
  4. ^ John Eggerton (October 19, 2012). "FCC Denies KSQA Must-Carry Complaint Against Cox". Broadcasting & Cable. NewBay Media. Retrieved August 13, 2015. 
  5. ^ "FCC denies KSQA-TV's must-carry complaint". Broadcast Engineering. NewBay Media. October 25, 2012. 
  6. ^ Shawn Wheat (March 6, 2013). "WIBW-TV Moves Channels On Cox Starting Thursday". WIBW (AM). Morris Communications. Retrieved August 13, 2015. 
  7. ^ "RabbitEars TV Query for KSQA". RabbitEars. Retrieved August 13, 2015. 

External links[edit]