|Broadcast area||Antelope Valley, California|
|Branding||Alt 98.7 (simulcast)|
|Slogan||LA's New Alternative|
|First air date||1981 (as KTPI)|
|Callsign meaning||K StaR Your|
|Former callsigns||KTPI (12/28/81-12/01/02)
(CC Licenses, LLC)
KSRY (103.1 FM) is a radio station broadcasting a Alternative Rock format as a simulcast of KYSR (Alt 98.7) in Los Angeles, California. KSRY serves the Antelope Valley from its tower in Tehachapi, California. The station is owned by iHeartMedia, Inc..
103.1 FM was started by George Chambers in 1981 and was the first radio station licensed to Tehachapi. In 1983, Robert Adelman joined Chambers and created the first country music FM radio station (KTPI-FM) to serve the Antelope Valley with a signal covering the entire area. Mark Pompey was the first program director and later Larry Marino (who later moved to KRLA) served as operations manager of this station and another in Mojave, KDOL 1340. Studios were located in Mojave until they were moved to Palmdale. Chambers and Adelman sold KTPI-FM and KDOL to HPW in 1986. In December 2007, KTPI's format moved to 97.7 while 103.1 became a simulcast of KYSR, Los Angeles "Star 98.7". On January 2, 2008, the KTPI call letters were moved to 97.7 in Mojave, and the KOSS call letters came to 103.1 FM. On January 10, 2008, the KOSS call sign was changed to KSRY.
The tower is shared with KKZQ (100.1 FM, "The Edge"), owned by High Desert Broadcasting.
KSRY is a simulcast of KYSR ("Alt 98.7") in Los Angeles. The weekday programming on this station includes The Woody Show in the mornings, Trey Morgan on mid-days, harms on afternoons and 'Sixx Sense with Nikki Sixx on nights.
- The Woody Show - weekdays from 6am-10am; hosted by Woody, Ravey, Greg and Menace.
- New Music Show - an hour-long show hosted by Darren Rose hosting new music every Sunday at 9pm.
- The Bad Ass at Ocho - listeners vote their favorite songs of the day at 987fm.com and the top 4 picked are played at 8pm with Harms.
- The Rewind at Noon - listeners call in or text their requests from the 1990s and 1980s. Hosted by Rose on weekdays.
- Sixx Sense with Nikki Sixx - syndicated radio show; weeknights from 11pm-4am.
- Side Show Countdown with Nikki Sixx - every Saturday at 8am.
- 987 Live - Josh Venable hosts a commercial-free full hour of live and acoustic music, much of which is recorded in the 98.7fm studios. Sunday mornings at 9am.
- Complete Control Radio - formerly on KDLD, Joe Sib (owner of Side One Dummy Records) hosts the best in new and old school punk rock. Sundays from 10pm-midnight.
- Diplo & Friends - hosted by Diplo every Sunday night at 9pm.
- Rockaholic of the Day - On four times each weekday, submit the name of the Rockaholic of the Day and win points on 98.7 Rockaholics.