|Poway/San Diego, California|
|Branding||general: Telemundo 20|
Noticiero Telemundo 20
|Channels||Digital: 17 (UHF)|
(shared with KNSD)
Virtual: 48 (PSIP)
(NBC Telemundo License LLC)
|First air date||1980|
|Former channel number(s)|
|Transmitter power||387 kW|
|Height||577 m (1,893 ft)|
|Public license information||Profile|
KUAN-LD, virtual channel 48 (UHF digital channel 17), is a Telemundo owned-and-operated television station serving San Diego, California, United States that is licensed to Poway. Owned by the NBC Owned Television Stations subsidiary of NBCUniversal (itself a subsidiary of Comcast), it is sister to San Diego-licensed NBC owned-and-operated station KNSD (channel 39). The two stations share studios on Granite Ridge Drive in the Serra Mesa section of San Diego and transmitter facilities southeast of Spring Valley.
The station signed on in 1980 as K48AL, originally operating as a translator of Los Angeles-based multicultural independent KSCI for the San Diego market, airing on low-power analog channel 48. It flash-cut to digital channel 36 on June 20, 2016.
In January 2017, NBC announced that it was hiring people for KNSD with the intention of launching a new Telemundo O&O station in San Diego, replacing Tijuana, Mexico-licensed station XHAS-TDT (whose affiliation expired at the end of June 2017). The new Telemundo affiliate, branded as "Telemundo 20", launched on July 1 on KNSD's digital 39.20 subchannel. As with KGTV's former Azteca América affiliation using their 10.15 subchannel (which XHAS would take over), the unusual numbering was to connect to Telemundo's channel 20 cable position on Cox Communications and other pay TV providers in the area, which was transferred from XHAS. Additionally, KNSD launched TeleXitos, a Spanish equivalent to Cozi TV, on channel 39.21 the same day.
On September 12, 2017, NBCUniversal acquired KUAN from NRJ TV, LLC, the owner of KSCI, for $650,000; the sale was completed on December 21, 2017. Concurrently, KUAN entered into a channel-sharing agreement with KNSD. This was done with the separate KUAN-LD transmitter ending service, and 39.20 and 39.21 becoming identified with KUAN-LD instead and re-numbered to KUAN's channel 48.
The station's digital signal is multiplexed:
|Channel||Video||Aspect||PSIP Short Name||Programming||Data rate|
|48.1||1080i||16:9||KUAN-LD||Main KUAN-LD programming / Telemundo||6.7 Mbit/s|
- Channel 17 digital TV stations in the United States
- Channel 20 branded TV stations in the United States
- Channel 48 virtual TV stations in the United States
- License To Cover for LPTV Station Application
- Anchor, Telemundo San Diego in San Diego, California - NBCUniversal Careers Archived 2017-01-17 at the Wayback Machine
- Form 10-K - U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission
- Telemundo 20 San Diego News Team Announced, Lizzet Lopez and Guadalupe Venegas Named News Anchors - NBC 7 San Diego
- Telemundo 20 San Diego launches on July 1 on Local Channel 20 - NBC Universal Media Village
- "Station Trading Roundup: 2 Deals, $660,000". TVNewsCheck. September 26, 2017. Retrieved September 27, 2017.
- Consummation Notice
- Modification of a Licensed Facility for LPTV Station Application
- RabbitEars TV Query for KNSD