|City of license||Houston, Texas|
|Broadcast area||Greater Houston|
|First air date||August 24, 1926|
|Power||10 kilowatts (day), 5 kilowatts (night) directional, 2 patterns|
|Callsign meaning||XYZ, last three letters of the alphabet, variant of former sister station WXYZ|
|Former callsigns||KTUE (1926-1930)|
(Multicultural Radio Broadcasting Licensee, LLC)
KXYZ is an AM radio station in Greater Houston, which broadcasts on 1320 kHz under ownership of Multicultural Broadcasting. KXYZ features brokered programming, in which station management sells airtime by the hour to interested third parties wishing to broadcast over the air. The transmitter is in Pasadena, Texas.
- "In Houston's downtown area, lifeless mannequins draped in the latest attire stand stiff and silent in the shops, which a few hours ago buzzed with the excitement of bargain-hunting shoppers... now relaxing at home to Beautiful KXYZ Music."
- "The almost-deserted parking garage is lonely and unfamiliar to a late-staying office worker, whose footsteps echo as he walks to his car and turns on the radio. And the lonely feeling is dispelled by Beautiful KXYZ Music."
In the mid 70's, the format changed to pop music & around 1980, it changed over to a Christian station.
In 1983, Infinity absorbed KXYZ. Throughout the 1980s and 1990s, it was a Spanish language contemporary music station known as "Radio 13" that was owned by Infinity Broadcasting (now CBS Radio). During this period, KXYZ carried Houston Astros games in Spanish. KXYZ then carried the Spanish Talk format of satellite network Radio Unica. Multicultural Broadcasting bought KXYZ from Infinity/CBS and Biz Radio made its debut in the early years of the 2000s (decade).
Biz Radio left KXYZ for KTEK in Alvin, Texas. It purchased KTEK and began signal testing in November 2007 simulcasting with KXYZ until December 11, 2007. The only drawback of the move to KTEK is that its signal is only licensed to broadcast during the daytime, while KXYZ has nighttime authorization.
- "McCarthy Completes Purchase of KXYZ" (PDF). Broadcasting. June 28, 1948. Retrieved 21 December 2014.
- KXYZ 1320 - Official Website
- Query the FCC's AM station database for KXYZ
- Radio-Locator Information on KXYZ
- Query Nielsen Audio's AM station database for KXYZ