|City||San Diego, California|
|Broadcast area||San Diego metropolitan area|
|Slogan||The 80's through Today|
|Frequency||96.5 MHz (also on HD Radio)|
|First air date||1960(as KFMX)|
HD2: Contemporary Christian "The Crossing"
HD3: Classic alternative "FlashBack ALT"
|HAAT||210 meters (690 ft)|
|Callsign meaning||Originally: a derivation of then-distant sister station KIXI|
Now: a play on Kicksy
|Former callsigns||KFMX (1960–1971)|
|Operator||Azusa Pacific University (HD2)|
(Entercom License, LLC)
|Sister stations||KBZT, KWFN, KSON, KXSN|
Listen Live (HD2)
Listen Live (HD3)
KYXY (96.5 MHz) is a commercial FM radio station owned by Entercom. KYXY is licensed to San Diego, California with its studios in the city's Stonecrest area. Its transmitter site is in La Jolla, on the KGTV Tower which it shares with KGTV and several other San Diego FM stations. KYXY airs an English-language mainstream adult contemporary radio format.
KyXy 96.5 broadcasts in HD Radio. The programming on the HD2 multicast is The Crossing, which airs a contemporary Christian music format that is operated by Azusa Pacific University. FlashBack ALT is currently heard on KYXY's HD3 channel.
KYXY was also the San Diego Radio Disney affiliate until June 2018.
KYXY first signed on in 1960 as KFMX. It changed its callsign to KYXY (pronounced "Kick-see") in the late 1960s after being bought by Walter Nelskog, who also owned stations KIXI in Seattle and KYXI in Portland. The station has kept the same KYXY call letters ever since. It was an independent FM station, carrying a middle of the road music format, which was described as "Good Music." KYXY transitioned to an adult contemporary format in late 1970s and has mostly stayed with the format. However, the station has become more upbeat within the last decade in an effort to attract younger listeners.
In January 2018, KYXY moved out of its longtime Linda Vista studios and re-located to Stonecrest. Six months later, the station lost its affiliation with Radio Disney, and switched its HD3 to classic alternative, first as "96.5 The Flash" (in reference to former alternative station XHRM from the mid-1990's), and then as "FlashBack ALT."
The station most recently adopted its current slogan in January 2019.
- As a mainstream AC station, KYXY plays all Christmas songs from mid-November till Christmas night.
- In June 2009, the weekend after Michael Jackson's death, the station paid tribute to the singer by playing continuous Michael Jackson and Jackson 5 hits.
- "Predicted Coverage Area for KYXY 96.5 FM, San Diego, CA". radio-locator.com. Retrieved August 13, 2017.
- "KFMX (FM) San Diego" (PDF). Broadcasting. 17 March 1969. p. 56. Retrieved 29 June 2017.
- Broadcasting Yearbook 1977 page C-27
- CBS Radio to Merge with Entercom
- "Entercom Receives FCC Approval for Merger with CBS Radio". Entercom. November 9, 2017. Retrieved November 17, 2017.
- Venta, Lance (November 17, 2017). "Entercom Completes CBS Radio Merger". Radio Insight. Retrieved November 17, 2017.
- Official website
- Query the FCC's FM station database for KYXY
- Radio-Locator information on KYXY
- Query Nielsen Audio's FM station database for KYXY
|This article about a radio station in California is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|