|City||Two Harbors, Minnesota|
|Frequency||104.3 FM (MHz)|
|Translator(s)||94.1 K231BI (Duluth)|
|First air date||September 1995 (as WRSR)|
|Format||Commercial; Active rock|
|HAAT||121 meters (397 ft)|
|Former callsigns||WRSR (1988–1997)|
|Owner||Red River Broadcasting (sale to Minnesota Public Radio pending)
(Red Rock Radio)
|Sister stations||KQDS, KQDS-TV, WWAX|
KZIO (104.3 / 94.1 FM, "94X") is a radio station located in Duluth, Minnesota that airs an active rock format. Established in 1995 as WRSR, the station is owned by Red River Broadcasting, which also owns KQDS-TV channel 21, KQDS 1490 and WWAX-FM 92.1. The studios are located at Grandma's Marketplace in Canal Park in Duluth.
The main station, KZIO-FM which operates at 104.3 MHz, is based in Two Harbors, Minnesota — its moniker is derived from its Duluth translator (low-power rebroadcaster), K231BI which operates at 94.1 FM. 104.3 FM can be heard in Duluth, though its signal is spotty. The former active rock format signed on as "X106" using 106.3 as the translator until upgrading to 94.1 FM.
Over the years, 94X has aired some mainstream rock and classic rock music that is not typically a part of the active rock format in an effort to fend off rock-based formats at various competing stations.
Past and Present 94X DJ's include Zooch, Hans, The Kid, Ray, Ace Rockolla, The Milkman, Diesel, Smiling Mike, Alli Foxx, Todd Spoons and Skid Mark.
On February 27, 2017, Red Rock announced their intentions to sell KZIO and K231BI to Minnesota Public Radio for $300,000. It will convert the station to a non-commercial operation. MPR confirmed late in March that the station would carry their The Current network in the market upon the sale's closing.
The application to transfer the licenses was granted on April 24, 2017.
- Broadcasting & Cable Yearbook 1999 (PDF). 1999. p. D-242. Retrieved April 20, 2017.
- Broadcasting & Cable Yearbook 1997 (PDF). 1997. p. D-244. Retrieved April 20, 2017.
- Application for Consent to Assignment of Broadcast Station Construction Permit or License - Federal Communications Commission
- Minnesota Public Radio Acquires "94X" Duluth
- "Main Studio Waiver Request - Minnesota Public Radio". FCC Filing. Federal Communications Commission. Retrieved 28 March 2017.
- 94X KZIO official website
- Query the FCC's FM station database for KZIO
- Radio-Locator information on KZIO
- Query Nielsen Audio's FM station database for KZIO
- Query the FCC's FM station database for K231BI
- Radio-Locator information on K231BI
|This article about a radio station in Minnesota is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|