|Birth name||Kristine Zhenie Lobrigas Tandingan|
March 11, 1992 |
Digos, Davao del Sur, Philippines
|Genres||Acoustic jazz, R&B, soul|
|Associated acts||Charice Pempengco, Factor finalists, Side A|
Kristine Zhenie Lobrigas Tandingan (born March 11, 1992), mononymously known as KZ, is a Filipino singer. She rose to prominence following her win on the first season of The X Factor Philippines in 2012.
Life and career
KZ Tandingan started singing as a child but had to stop when she was in her junior year in high school after suffering from a throat problem. She is an alumna of University of Southeastern Philippines in Davao City and had graduated with a degree of Bachelor of Science in Biology.
Before she joined The X Factor Philippines, Tandingan was part of a local acoustic band.
2012: The X Factor Philippines
Tandingan was considered as an early favorite after she performed a jazzy version of "Somewhere Over the Rainbow" in the fourth week of the Judges' auditions. After receiving a standing ovation from all the judges', she was requested to sing again. Tandingan obliged and sang "Ready or Not" by American hip-hop group, The Fugees. With her second song, she also showed her rapping skills. Tandingan was greatly praised by all of the judges. Nievera even shouted that, "A star is born in Digos!". The video of Tandingan's audition went viral online after it was uploaded in YouTube. The video reached nearly 1 million views before it was removed due to copyright issues. During the Bootcamp stage, she sang "Mahirap Magmahal ng Syota ng Iba" by the APO Hiking Society and cried after she made the cut for the Top 20. Tandingan sang "Killing Me Softly with His Song" by Roberta Flack during the Judges' home visit. On week 9, she landed on the bottom 2 for the first time with teammate Allen Sta. Maria, but she survived elimination. Tandingan was Charice's last remaining act after Allen Sta. Maria was eliminated on week 9. She reached the grand finals on October 7, 2012 and was proclaimed the winner of The X Factor Philippines.
- Performances and results
|The X Factor Philippines season 1 performances and results|
|Stage||Theme||Song choice||Original artist||Order||Result|
|Audition||Free choice||"Over the Rainbow"||Judy Garland||N/A||Advanced|
|"Ready or Not"||Fugees|
|Bootcamp 1||Specific song||"Without You"||David Guetta||N/A||Advanced|
|Bootcamp 2||Free choice||"Mahirap Magmahal Ng Syota Ng Iba"||APO Hiking Society||N/A||Advanced|
|Judges' houses||Free choice||"Killing Me Softly with His Song"||Roberta Flack||N/A||Advanced|
|Top 12||Songs from the movies||"The Show"||Lenka||6||Safe|
|Top 11||song with Life or Buhay in the title||"For Once in My Life"||Stevie Wonder||9||Safe|
|Top 10||Rock||"In the End"||Linkin Park||10||Safe|
|Top 9||Tribute to late music icons||"Rehab"||Amy Winehouse||8||Safe|
|Top 8||OPM songs||"Ang Huling El Bimbo"||Eraserheads||7||Safe|
|Top 7||Songs from the 1980s||"Eternal Flame"||The Bangles||3||Safe|
|Top 6||Eraserheads or Rivermaya||"Kisapmata"||Rivermaya||4||Safe|
|Top 5||Revival songs||"Make You Feel My Love"||Bob Dylan||3||Safe|
|Top 4||Songs from musical heroes||"Forever"||Chris Brown||3||Bottom 2[a]|
|Final showdown||"Ordinary People"||John Legend||2|
|Finale||Contestant's choice||"Superstar"||The Carpenters||3||Winner|
|Celebrity duet||Duet "The Way We Were"
with Rico J. Puno
|Mentor duet||Duet "The Way You Look Tonight"
- Tandingan was in the bottom two but was saved by the judges' votes.
On January 7, 2013, Tandingan entered the Himig Handog contest with the song entry called "Scared To Death", written by Domingo Rosco Jr. The song was accompanied with a music video that was assigned as a project to be directed by University of Santo Tomas and premiered on the 2nd of February in Myx Philippines. She performed the song in the grand finals on February 24, 2013 at the SM Mall of Asia Arena. Overall, the song finished in 4th place and was the third runner-up for Best P-pop Love Song thus rewarding the writer of Tandingan's song one hundred thousand pesos in cash. On April 21, 2013, she toured across North America as a supporting act for pop band Side A. On May 2, 2013, Tandingan released her self-titled debut album. The album was produced by Jonathan Manalo and consists of mainly original songs with some covers. On June 27, 2013, she officially launched the album on Makati City.
On January 11, 2014, Tandingan won ₱1,000,000 in The Singing Bee where she accumulated 4 straight songs correctly. In the show, she did not make a single error in the first 2 rounds and eventually won a tie-breaker against co-contestants Frenchie Dy and Sitti, who also did not commit any errors throughout the game. The following year, she was announced as one of the eight contestants for the second season of Your Face Sounds Familiar along with Myrtle Sarrosa, Sam Concepcion, Cacai Bautista, Kean Cipriano, Denise Laurel, Michael Pangilinan and Eric Nicolas. The show ran from September 12, 2015 to December 13, 2015. and she was the 3rd runner-up. Tandingan was then announced as one of the celebrity mentors in We Love OPM in 2016, being the mentor of Team O Diva. The show ran from May 14, 2016 to July 17, 2016. She is currently seen in ASAP, as one of the ASAP Soul Sessions with Jason Dy, Daryl Ong, Jay R and Kyla.
- KZ Tandingan (2013)
- Soul Supremacy (2017)
|2012||The X Factor Philippines||Contestant||Winner|
|2013–16||Himig Handog||Contestant||"Scared To Death"; 4th place
"Mahal Ko O Mahal Ako"; winner
"Laban Pa"; 3rd place
|2014||The Singing Bee||Contestant||Winner; rewarded with ₱1,000,000|
|2015||Your Face Sounds Familiar||Contestant||4th place|
|2016||We Love OPM||Mentor||O Diva; 3rd place|
- ^ The table above only includes Tandingan's significant appearances, therefore guest appearances are not included.
|2012||25th Aliw Awards||Herself||Best New Artist||Won|
|2013||26th Awit Awards||"Wag Ka Nang Umiyak"||Best Performance by a New Female Recording Artist||Nominated|
|2014||Myx Music Awards 2014||Herself||Favorite Female Artist||Nominated|
|2014||Myx Music Awards 2014||Herself||Favorite New Artist||Won|
- "KZ Tandingan wins 'X Factor PH'". ABS-CBN News. October 7, 2012. Retrieved October 13, 2012.
- Karen Valeza (October 8, 2012). "KZ wins 'The X Factor Philippines'". Yahoo! OMG! Philippines. Retrieved June 28, 2013.
- Baby A. Gil (July 5, 2013). "Will KZ Tandingan make it to stardom?". The Philippine Star. Retrieved July 11, 2013.
- "'A star is born' in Digos on 'X Factor ' week 3". ABS-CBN News. July 16, 2012. Retrieved July 30, 2012.
- Fabian, Chris (July 24, 2012). "KZ enters 'X Factor' Top 20". Mindanao Times. Retrieved July 31, 2012.
- "KZ Tandingan in 'X Factor' Top 20; Osang out". ABS-CBN News. July 23, 2012. Retrieved July 30, 2012.
- Allan Policarpio (February 25, 2013). "Director-composer wins Himig Handog". Philippine Daily Inquirer. Retrieved June 28, 2013.
- Feliz Borja. ""Anong Nangyari Sa Ating Dalawa" Is HIMIG HANDOG's Best P-Pop Love Song!". Myx. Retrieved June 28, 2013.
- "Side A 2013". April 24, 2013. Fat Media TV. Retrieved May 8, 2013.
- "KZ Tandingan Debut Album Snippets". 2 May 2013. Star Records. Retrieved 3 May 2013.
- "KZ holds successful album launch". ABS-CBN News. Retrieved June 28, 2013.
- Rito P. Asilo (June 14, 2013). "Debut album shows off KZ Tandingan's 'X Factor'". Philippine Daily Inquirer. Retrieved June 28, 2013.
- "KZ Tandingan gustong makapagbago ng buhay sa kanyang mga kanta" (in Tagalog). The Philippine Star. June 5, 2013. Retrieved June 28, 2013.
- Totel V. de Jesus (November 19, 2012). "25th Aliw Awards bare 2012 finalists". Philippine Daily Inquirer. Retrieved June 28, 2013.
- Jude Cartalaba (November 27, 2012). "Leo Valdez, Eugene Domingo win at 25th Aliw Awards". Rappler. Retrieved June 28, 2013.
- "Finalists in 26th Awit Awards revealed". ABS-CBN News. June 3, 2013. Retrieved June 28, 2013.
- NR Ramos (June 4, 2013). "Gloc-9 commands 26th Awit noms". Manila Bulletin. Archived from the original on June 24, 2013. Retrieved June 28, 2013.
- Blanco, Eunice. "Gloc9, Yeng, Sarah, Parokya ni Edgar win big at MYX Music Awards 2014". 27 March 2014. PhilStar. Retrieved 10 April 2014.