K Camp in a promotional photo
|Birth name||Kristopher Campbell|
April 27, 1990|
Milwaukee, Wisconsin, United States
|Origin||Atlanta, Georgia, United States|
Kristopher Campbell (born April 27, 1990), better known by his stage name K Camp, is an American rapper from Atlanta, Georgia. He is signed with Interscope Records and released his debut EP In Due Time on April 22, 2014. He is best known for the singles "Money Baby", "Comfortable" and "Cut Her Off", the latter receiving a nomination at the 2014 BET Hip Hop Awards. His debut album Only Way Is Up was released in September 2015 and peaked at number 20 on the Billboard 200 chart.
K Camp was born in Milwaukee, Wisconsin but grew up in Atlanta, Georgia. His family introduced him to music at an early age and he has attributed some of his biggest influences as Andre 3000, Tupac Shakur, and The Notorious B.I.G..
K Camp began performing in high school, performing as part of a group called HBC (Head Busser Clique). After the group broke up, K Camp continued with music, performing at open mic contests which were also frequented by artists such as Waka Flocka Flame. He released a mix named "All Night" in 2009. It gained popularity in the Atlanta music scene and its popularity inspired K Camp to start taking music seriously. He followed up with other mixes that included "Fan4Life" and "Show Money," and "Slumlords." These mixes began a movement in Atlanta with his "slums," a term coined to represent his family, friends, and fans. K Camp wanted to extend his career beyond the Atlanta music scene and landed a deal with Interscope Records where he released his debut EP in 2014.
In April 2014, K Camp released his debut EP In Due Time, remake of one of his original mixtapes. Its debut single "Cut Her Off" peaked at number 49 on the Billboard Hot 100 chart. It was also nominated for Best Club Banger at the 2014 BET Hip Hop Awards. The song featured vocals by 2 Chainz and in addition to Billboard, the song went number 1 on USA Today's Urban Airplay chart. It was also remixed by artists that include Wiz Khalifa, Rick Ross, T.I., and YG. In 2014, five of his tracks topped the Billboard Twitter Real-Time survey, which was more than any other artist for that year. K Camp was also recognized by Rolling Stone as a "New Artist You Need To Know."
K Camp was included in the 2015 Freshman Class by XXL Magazine, which also included artists Fetty Wap, Tink, and Vince Staples. In September 2015, he released his debut studio album, Only Way Is Up, which featured performances by Snoop Dogg, T.I., and Jeremih. The second single from the album, "Comfortable," peaked at number 54 on the Billboard Hot 100. Only Way Is Up was recognized by Spin as one of the 50 Best Hip-Hop Albums of 2015.
Awards and nominations
|2014||BET Hip Hop Awards||Best Club Banger||"Cut Her Off" (with 2 Chainz)||Nominated|
- Benson, John (6 August 2015). "Hip-hop's K Camp gets comfortable with success". Youngstown Vindicator. Retrieved 18 December 2015.
- Ryan, Patrick (20 July 2014). "On the Verge: K Camp is a Cut above the rest". USA Today. Retrieved 18 December 2015.
- Garland, Maurice (13 May 2014). "K Camp Rides Online Meme Up The Charts". Billboard. Retrieved 18 December 2015.
- "K Camp chart history". Billboard. Retrieved 18 December 2015.
- Graham, Nadine (24 September 2014). "K Camp Speaks on 2014 BET Hip Hop Awards Loss, Perfect Cuffing Season Song". The Boombox. Retrieved 18 December 2015.
- Rohn, Jake (14 June 2015). "K Camp Has a Dream Feature on Only Way Is Up". BET. Retrieved 18 December 2015.
- "K Camp Announces Debut Album Only Way Is Up". Billboard. 13 August 2015. Retrieved 18 December 2015.
- "The Wait is Over: Here is the 2015 XXL Freshman Class". XXL Mag. 3 June 2015. Retrieved 18 December 2015.
- "The 50 Best HIp-Hop Albums of 2015". SPIN. 16 December 2015. Retrieved 18 December 2015.
- Nostro, Lauren. "Here Are the 2014 BET Hip-Hop Award Nominees". Complex. Complex Media. Retrieved September 5, 2014.
|This biographical article related to hip hop music is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|