From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
|History of Japan|
Kaō (嘉応?) was a Japanese era name (年号, nengō,?, lit. "year name") after Nin'an and before Jōan. This period spanned the years from April 1169 through April 1171. The reigning emperor was Takakura-tennō (高倉天皇?).
Change of era
- January 30, 1169 Kaō gannen (嘉応元年?): The new era name was created to mark an event or series of events. The previous era ended and a new one commenced in Nin'an 4, on the 8th day of the 4th month of 1169.
Events of the Kaō era
- 1169 (Kaō 1, 3rd month): The former-Emperor Go-Shirakawa made a pilgrimage to Mont Koya.
- 1169 (Kaō 1, 6th month): Go-Shirakawa accepted tonsure as a Buddhist priest; and he took the title Hōō.
- 1169 (Kaō 1, 12th month): The chūnagon Fujiwara no Nurisika was banished to Bingo province as a consequence of complaints of Buddhist priests from Mt. Hiei; but shortly thereafter, he was recalled to Heian-kyō because of past services to Emperor Go-Shirakawa.
- Nussbaum, Louis-Frédéric. (2005). "Kaō" in Japan Encyclopedia, p. 480, p. 480, at Google Books; n.b., Louis-Frédéric is pseudonym of Louis-Frédéric Nussbaum, see Deutsche Nationalbibliothek Authority File.
- Titsingh, Isaac. (1834). Annales des empereurs du japon, pp. 195-196; Brown, Delmer et al. (1979). Gukanshō, pp. 330-333; Varley, H. Paul. (1980). Jinnō Shōtōki. pp. 212-214.
- Brown, p. 332.
- Titsingh, p. 196.
- Brown, Delmer M. and Ichirō Ishida, eds. (1979). Gukanshō: The Future and the Past. Berkeley: University of California Press. ISBN 978-0-520-03460-0; OCLC 251325323
- Nussbaum, Louis-Frédéric and Käthe Roth. (2005). Japan encyclopedia. Cambridge: Harvard University Press. ISBN 978-0-674-01753-5; OCLC 58053128
- Titsingh, Isaac. (1834). Nihon Odai Ichiran; ou, Annales des empereurs du Japon. Paris: Royal Asiatic Society, Oriental Translation Fund of Great Britain and Ireland. OCLC 5850691
- Varley, H. Paul. (1980). A Chronicle of Gods and Sovereigns: Jinnō Shōtōki of Kitabatake Chikafusa. New York: Columbia University Press. ISBN 9780231049405; OCLC 6042764
- National Diet Library, "The Japanese Calendar" -- historical overview plus illustrative images from library's collection
|Era or nengō