District location in Uganda
|Coordinates (Kaabong): Coordinates:|
|Region||Northern Region of Uganda|
|Split from Kotido District||2005|
|• Land||7,223.7 km2 (2,789.1 sq mi)|
|Highest elevation||2,749 m (9,019 ft)|
|• Density||54.7/km2 (142/sq mi)|
|Time zone||UTC+3 (EAT)|
Kaabong District is bordered by South Sudan to the northwest, Kenya to the northeast and the east, Moroto District to the southeast, Kotido District to the south, and Karenga District to the west. The district headquarters at Kaabong, are approximately 155 kilometres (96 mi), by road, northwest of Moroto, the largest town in the sub-region. In July 2019, the newly former Karenga District was split off from Kaabong District.
Kaabong District became functional on 1 July 2005. Prior to that, it was known as Dodoth County in Kotido District. The district is part of the Karamoja sub-region, home to an estimated 1.2 million Karimojong.
Kaabong has two counties: Dodoth East County and Dodoth West County. This is divided into one town council, Kaabong, and thirteen sub-counties: Karenga, Lobalangit, Kawalakol, Kapedo, Lolelia, Lodiko, Kathile, Sidok, Kalapata, Kamion, Kaabong East, Kaabong West and Loyoro.
Kaabong District has a rocky landscape with hills and valleys. The vegetation is primarily bushes and shrubs. The climatic/weather conditions of Kaabong District are more diverse with various soil types, vegetation and altitudes. There are some areas that contain savannah vegetation, but most of the district is semi-arid with thorny shrubs. There is only one annual season of cultivation. Kidepo Valley National Park is located in the district, 66 kilometres (41 mi), by road, north of the district headquarters at Kaabong.
In 1991, the national population census estimated the population of the district at about 91,200. The national census in 2002 estimated the population of the district at approximately 202,800. The annual population growth rate in the district, between 2002 and 2012, was calculated at 7%. In 2012, it is estimated that the population of Kaabong District was about 395,200.
- Simon Lokodo, politician and catholic priest
- "Road Distance Between Moroto And Kaabong With Map". Globefeed.com. Retrieved 25 May 2014.
- "Preparations in High Gear for New Karenga District". Uganda Radio Network (URN). Retrieved 30 April 2020.
- Districts of Uganda, Statoids, accessed 3 August 2015
- Counties of Uganda, Statoids, accessed 3 August 2015
- "Map Showing Kaabong And Kidepo With Distance Marker". Globefeed.com. Retrieved 25 May 2014.
- "Estimated Population of Kaabong District In 1991, 2002 & 2012". Citypopulation.de. Retrieved 25 May 2014.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Kaabong District, Uganda.|